• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Yesterday the sound of something upstairs crashing to the floor. It took me a while to identify the culprit.. a framed picture (nothing personal) on my own bedroom wall had fallen down the back of the radiator.

The minor strangeness is that the hook/nail on the wall remained in place, seemingly not dislodged or bent, and the hoop thing on the back of the picture was equally sturdy and intact. Nor was it a case - seemingly - of something precariously balanced having finally reached a tipping point of too many micro vibrations.. the picture has been there and largely untouched for at least a year.

I say it wasn't a pic of any personal relevance so as to not invite the finger of suspicion at any ghostly culprits. However maybe its worth mentioning its an artified depiction of a scene from The Invisible Man...
1542991260593.png

Last edited:
Bit of a strange one, but... well last night as I was going to bed I switched on the internet radio to listen to ABC Radio Sydney as I always do.

Not long after, they were talking to someone who mentioned that there was an Amazon leak of email addresses. What I remember of it was:
The lady talking about it initially said it was in the USA and UK and that there was no word from Amazon as to how the email addresses got leaked, and no apology from them.
The DJ then asked her is it in Australia too, to which she replied 'just the USA so far' (I thought that was odd cos initially she'd said UK as well, but anyway).
She also said that Amazon had emailed the customers to tell them about it.
She then went on to talk about one or two other things (technology news perhaps?) I can't remember those though (probably cos I was busy noting this down).

I noted it down before going to sleep, to remember to change our Amazon password.

But when I woke up this morning, there's nothing about it; no email from Amazon, and nothing on the news that I can find.

I know I didn't dream this; the note about it was there this morning when I woke up and it takes me a long time to get to sleep and this was not very long after I'd gone to bed.

So question for anyone in Australia (or anyone not in Australia who listens to their radio) - did you hear this yesterday, were you listening to the radio at about that time? I went to bed a few minutes before the end of the 'breakfast show' with Robbie Buck and Wendy Hamer so I can't remember if they were being told about it by this other lady, or if it was the DJ after them who were being told. I think it was the breakfast show though.

Or has anyone seen owt about this in the news today?

I admit to being slightly puzzled.

We've changed our Amazon password anyway.

Just googled it there does appear to have been a leak two days ago.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/21/amazon-exposed-customer-names-and-emails-in-a-technical-error.html

Doesn't appear to be harmful but never hurts to change passwords.

Not long after, they were talking to someone who mentioned that there was an Amazon leak of email addresses.
[...]
But when I woke up this morning, there's nothing about it; no email from Amazon, and nothing on the news that I can find.

I know I didn't dream this; the note about it was there this morning when I woke up and it takes me a long time to get to sleep and this was not very long after I'd gone to bed.

So question for anyone in Australia (or anyone not in Australia who listens to their radio) - did you hear this yesterday, were you listening to the radio at about that time? I went to bed a few minutes before the end of the 'breakfast show' with Robbie Buck and Wendy Hamer so I can't remember if they were being told about it by this other lady, or if it was the DJ after them who were being told. I think it was the breakfast show though.

Or has anyone seen owt about this in the news today?

I admit to being slightly puzzled.

We've changed our Amazon password anyway.

You didn't dream it. This really happened. I've seen separate reports about it.

Hang on.... <tappety tap> ...here we are: https://techcrunch.com/2018/11/21/a...omer-email-addresses-doubles-down-on-secrecy/

To answer your question: I did not hear this on the radio or tv and I have not heard anything about it there (I'm in the UK). I was first alerted to this issue via a daily news email from Codeproject. Codeproject's news email linked to the Techcrunch article above.

If your Amazon-registered email address was not compromised then you would not have received an email from them. But, yes, changing your password was a good idea anyway.

** edit **
Oops, I see this has been thoroughly replied to.

Last edited:
Just logged on here, and there were a couple of alerts showing that a couple of people have like a post that i made in October 2017. In this post i'd mentioned about a mate of mine texting me to say his dad was basically on his last legs etc etc.
Now the strange bit. on the 10th of October this year my mate passed away at 48 yrs old (after suffering multiple organ failure) His dad however, is still happily with us and is plodding on with life as best he can considering what he and the family have had to put up with lately.
I had actually forgotten about the original post. RIP Mitch

Yesterday the sound of something upstairs crashing to the floor. It took me a while to identify the culprit.. a framed picture (nothing personal) on my own bedroom wall had fallen down the back of the radiator.

The minor strangeness is that the hook/nail on the wall remained in place, seemingly not dislodged or bent, and the hoop thing on the back of the picture was equally sturdy and intact. Nor was it a case - seemingly - of something precariously balanced having finally reached a tipping point of too many micro vibrations.. the picture has been there and largely untouched for at least a year.

I say it wasn't a pic of any personal relevance so as to not invite the finger of suspicion at any ghostly culprits. However maybe its worth mentioning its an artified depiction of a scene from The Invisible Man...
View attachment 13208

There's breathing in my barn !

Just googled it there does appear to have been a leak two days ago.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/21/amazon-exposed-customer-names-and-emails-in-a-technical-error.html

Doesn't appear to be harmful but never hurts to change passwords.

You didn't dream it. This really happened. I've seen separate reports about it.

Hang on.... <tappety tap> ...here we are: https://techcrunch.com/2018/11/21/a...omer-email-addresses-doubles-down-on-secrecy/

To answer your question: I did not hear this on the radio or tv and I have not heard anything about it there (I'm in the UK). I was first alerted to this issue via a daily news email from Codeproject. Codeproject's news email linked to the Techcrunch article above.

If your Amazon-registered email address was not compromised then you would not have received an email from then. But, yes, changing your password was a good idea anyway.

** edit **
Oops, I see this has been thoroughly replied to.

Thanks both... it was strange at my end because the news sites I looked at didn't seem to mention it so it felt like some weird thing that didn't really happen. (And thanks Mark for confirming that it wasn't on the news here in the UK)

But seems like you all have better search capabilities than I do :)

Just logged on here, and there were a couple of alerts showing that a couple of people have like a post that i made in October 2017. In this post i'd mentioned about a mate of mine texting me to say his dad was basically on his last legs etc etc.
Now the strange bit. on the 10th of October this year my mate passed away at 48 yrs old (after suffering multiple organ failure) His dad however, is still happily with us and is plodding on with life as best he can considering what he and the family have had to put up with lately.
I had actually forgotten about the original post. RIP Mitch

Sorry to hear about your mate. My condolences.

The predictive text on my mobile phone does not have the word 'DVD' in it (yeah, I know, it's not a word, but humour me here, I'll get to the point), but it does contain the words 'autopsy', 'Hitler' and 'kayaked'.

Surely people are more likely to text each other about DVDs than autopsies, Nazi madmen or the past tense of canoe travel?

The predictive text on my mobile phone does not have the word 'DVD' in it (yeah, I know, it's not a word, but humour me here, I'll get to the point), but it does contain the words 'autopsy', 'Hitler' and 'kayaked'.

Surely people are more likely to text each other about DVDs than autopsies, Nazi madmen or the past tense of canoe travel?
Does it also have 'donkey punch'? .. your phone sounds weird kinky ..

Does it also have 'donkey punch'? .. your phone sounds weird kinky ..

It doesn't have 'donkeypunch' as a single word - it offered me 'conspicuity' as an alternative though (I use the Swype function for texting, where you drag your finger around the keyboard from one letter to the next to write a word).

01.40 pm. I was browsing on here when I heard a sound in the kitchen downstairs. It sounded like the clink of bottles. Nothing too surprising, since mice have been a recurring problem.

Investigating, I found a yellow pencil on the lino in a place it had not been earlier. Dropping it a few times confirmed that this could well have been the sound. I could not, however, work out how it had got there. Some papers and a pen were on the far side of the dining table; there could have been a pencil with them but it would have taken a mysterious leap to land by the bin!

A mouse could have dislodged it from the work-top above, though I do not think there was a pencil there!

Anyway, the mouse that has annoyed me for the last couple of weeks bit the dust just after seven this morning!

Maybe his ghost? :nods:

My well used laptop has suddenly developed psychic abilities and is sending me emails dated "Tomorrow at ---". Altering the infernal machine's time repeatedly makes no difference. Sadly no good news from the future.

View attachment 13208
Oh the weirdness of it all...

Well something else has just happened. Whether its related to that, or to another cause or to neither I don't know, but i'll throw in the fact a very close friend just texted me asking if he can come over today and if its ok to stay...he's off work with stress and i assume something additional must have happened to upset him at home. So as i say you might speculate some psychic connection with this fact - whether ominous or perhaps even an example of the vardoger - but within minutes of that texted conversation i heard two loud raps at the door (not the knocker, rather the sound was of the wood being directly banged twice with the knuckles). "Coming!" I shouted as i dashed downstairs, wondering if he had cheekily already been on his way here before he asked me if he could.

Well i open the door and not only is there no one there, there's no one in the street even.

Phantom knocking has been talked about on here many times, including by me. But its always had the element of doubt about its objective reality given its usually when you're lying in bed or dozing off that people experience it. But this was wide awake, broad daylight, fully alert, and the sound was not in my estimation mistakeable for anything else but two physical raps at the front door. From an invisible man.

Whether it in anyway relates to my approaching friend - his coming knock or his mental state, or god forbid some forewarning of doom - or whether its nothing to do with him but is related to the mysterious dislocating picture, who knows. Perhaps neither. Though i do have this nagging notion in my mind that there has been a third odd incident in between those two which ive forgotten about.

Phantom knocking has been talked about on here many times, including by me.

Some of that was going on here for a while. I'd open the front door and find nobody there, ooer!
Then I spotted old Bagpuss the senile cat on the windowsill next to the door scratching herself and bumping against the glass. Mystery solved.

I did consider there may be a link to the fact a couple of parcels had come through the letter box earlier in the morning, and is it possible one of the letterbox flaps had not closed at the time, only to fall back into place later...but i struggle to convince myself of that explanation given that it was definitely two knocks in instant succession and as I say very much identifiable as knuckles rapping on wood rather than a metal letter box dropping down.

I have seen magpies pull and peck at any right bits of door furniture,
It took a long time to convince the woman across the st that it was magpies
even though I could see them doing it she would not believe it was not kids
playing tip latch.

I did consider there may be a link to the fact a couple of parcels had come through the letter box earlier in the morning, and is it possible one of the letterbox flaps had not closed at the time, only to fall back into place later...but i struggle to convince myself of that explanation given that it was definitely two knocks in instant succession and as I say very much identifiable as knuckles rapping on wood rather than a metal letter box dropping down.

I've found that courier services are very good at rapping on your door and disappearing into the ether by the time you get to open it. Happened to me a few times.

I've found that courier services are very good at rapping on your door and disappearing into the ether by the time you get to open it. Happened to me a few times.
They generally leave some sign of their visit though, don't they?

My well used laptop has suddenly developed psychic abilities and is sending me emails dated "Tomorrow at ---". Altering the infernal machine's time repeatedly makes no difference. Sadly no good news from the future.
From a server in a different time zone, perhaps?

Our last two deliveries have simply appeared in the greenhouse, and cards telling us of them have materialised in the postbox, with no-one seeing or hearing a thing. Maybe we have ghost couriers? :wide:

... I heard two loud raps at the door (not the knocker, rather the sound was of the wood being directly banged twice with the knuckles).

Phantom knocking has been talked about on here many times, including by me. But its always had the element of doubt about its objective reality given its usually when you're lying in bed or dozing off that people experience it. But this was wide awake, broad daylight, fully alert, and the sound was not in my estimation mistakeable for anything else but two physical raps at the front door.

*Nods head sagely.

Back