• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Yesterday I was feeling a poorly at work. Just now I starting texting someone 'Still feeling' and the next word was going to be 'rough', but before I could type anything the word 'Lemsip' appeared!

Er, thank you, predictive text. You're supposed to help with texting though, not life.

A Lemsip does sound good though. Could you flick the kettle on?

I've just been staring at the 2018 calendar prior to removing it to replace with the 2019. I have a huge wallchart calendar on which I write my forthcoming work shifts, so I can check when I'm due in, plus anything else I need to remember - if it's not on the calendar, it doesn't happen. It's got the whole of January 2019 on it, so I haven't really been overbothered with it yet.

On 10 December there had always been a scribble. I expect it's where I tested a new pen much earlier in the year, but we've all glanced at it at one time or another and tried to work out what the scribble said and what event it was telling me about, but it's just loops that, at first, look like writing.

It hit me with a jolt today, as I stared at it and summed up the past year - that was the day my lovely old terrier made her final journey to the vet. Nothing is written against that day as it was a quick decision that had to be made. But 'something' happening on that day had been predicted by the testing of the pen...

I think it was the NY Times recently had an article about just this experiemce by in investigative reporter whose parents received a series of unordered merchandise. You might find it searching on their website. Aa I remember it's a scam related to the need to establish the bona fides of a very shady business.

A couple of years ago I received some tiny pink knickers that were so shoddy they felt like they were made out of tissue. Hadn't ordered any tiny pink knickers (not with this arse) so it was a strange surprise. It was around the time I'd read about the shady deliveries so did assume it was to do with that.

Yesterday I was feeling a poorly at work. Just now I starting texting someone 'Still feeling' and the next word was going to be 'rough', but before I could type anything the word 'Lemsip' appeared!

Er, thank you, predictive text. You're supposed to help with texting though, not life.

A Lemsip does sound good though. Could you flick the kettle on?
Shows how intrusive marketing can become.

Shows how intrusive marketing can become.

You reckon? I'd expect that more on Facebook rather than a text. Also, I hadn't texted anyone previously about feeling ill. I do buy Lemsips though.

I awoke last night in the middle of the night with the name Proudfoot stuck in my head. I don't know anyone by that name and I have n't seen it written down anywhere. I get to work today and colleague asks me to assist her with a customer who had a complaint. Yes, you guessed it, her surname was Proudfoot.

Last edited:
I awoke last night in the middle of the night with the name Proudfoot stuck in my head. I don't know anyone by that name and I have n't seen it written down anywhere. I get to work today and colleague asks me to assist her with a customer who had a complaint. Yes, you guessed it, her surname was Proudfoot.
Or you've been seeing too many hobbits.

My phone had another wobble today. My manager rang me three times, mobile to mobile. I didn't answer because I was out in a noisy environment and anyway we're told we're not allowed to use out phones so he can bloody whistle...

A little later I looked at the phone in case he'd texted me and noticed a text, apparently from me to Boss, saying 'I'm driving.'
I hadn't sent it and in fact have NEVER sent those words. They wouldn't make sense.

Right then a text arrived from t'boss asking me something, after the 'driving' one from me. He then asked what I was driving as I was supposed to be working!

So it went -
Me: I'm driving.
Boss: (routine work question)
Boss: What are you driving?
Me: Nothing, the phone sent that.
Boss: (further work instructions)
Me: OK I'll get on it.

Asked around about it and someone said there's a default text you can send if you miss several calls from the same person. Can't find any setting for that though.

There will be a setting but I bet your boss is used to strange txt's,
One phone I had phoned my mother twice, once when I dropped
it from a bike and again when I dropped it off the top of a waterfall,
strange as I never called her on that phone and her name was nowhere
near the top of the call list.

Asked around about it and someone said there's a default text you can send if you miss several calperson. Can't find any setting for that though.
on my (windows) phone this option only presents during an incoming call alongside answer/ignore, if select text reply it then gives a couple options to use a predefined text from a list or write from scratch

There will be a setting but I bet your boss is used to strange txt's,
One phone I had phoned my mother twice, once when I dropped
it from a bike and again when I dropped it off the top of a waterfall,
strange as I never called her on that phone and her name was nowhere
near the top of the call list.
on my (windows) phone this option only presents during an incoming call alongside answer/ignore, if select text reply it then gives a couple options to use a predefined text from a list or write from scratch

I haven't set up anything for replying with texts. Sometimes the provider has problems and won't send texts. Techy reckons it's sent the boss someone else's!
I hadn't sent any texts about Lemsips either. The word 'Lemsip' appeared in one last week when I was telling someone I still felt rough.
I of course obeyed the phone and took a Lemsip.

I haven't set up anything for replying with texts. Sometimes the provider has problems and won't send texts. Techy reckons it's sent the boss someone else's!
Might the boss have got a text from someone else he was haranguing on the phone and assumed it was from you?

I haven't set up anything for replying with texts
on my phone there are no settings for it, until you (eg. by accident) hit "reply with text" when someone is calling you, should be a simple test

on my phone there are no settings for it, until you (eg. by accident) hit "reply with text" when someone is calling you, should be a simple test

That's the set of thing it might be. I'll look into that, thank you. However, I just looked at the phone when it rang and ignored it so it's still not acting on my orders.

I had ordered this book from my favorite bookshop: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/111410.The_Essential_Kabbalah?from_search=true
The Essential Kabbalah: The Heart of Jewish Mysticism by Daniel Chanan Matt
It is now available as a cheap paperback, so I couldn't resist. This guy has a few excellent lectures about the Kabbalah online, for example this one:
So I was looking forward to reading the book.

But I don't think I'll read it because I'm totally spooked. The book is excellent and presents a selection from the core texts of the Kabbalah. It's deeply mystical. But too deep for me. These rabbis are looking over the shoulders of G'd during the act of creation. They're describing the Big Bang as it happens. It feels true, but it's way too far out for my taste.

In the introduction he cites rabbis that said that you could only start with the Kabbalah after you turned 40. I'm past that, but I don't feel ready for this heavy stuff. I think I'll stick with Dante and Eckhardt (when I feel adventurous).

Interesting experience. I'll keep the book as a warning to self :)

Last edited:
Several years ago, i was in my then bedroom and my phone was on the bed across the room (screen dark, inactive). As i was standing there, the light came on as it became active, took itself into my contacts list, scrolled a few names down and started calling my friend! I stoof there amazed and then grabbed it to cancel the call (name started with an A so was one of the first names on the list). Suddenly i thought was she in trouble or something, did she need me? But i text her then to check and thankfully she was fine. It had never happened before and never happened after - some mundane explanation i'm sure, but it had me very surprised. It was a hot pink samsung slide phone and this happened in about 2009, the sort you could constantly slide up & down and snap shut dramatically!

Several years ago, i was in my then bedroom and my phone was on the bed across the room (screen dark, inactive). As i was standing there, the light came on as it became active, took itself into my contacts list, scrolled a few names down and started calling my friend! I stoof there amazed and then grabbed it to cancel the call (name started with an A so was one of the first names on the list). Suddenly i thought was she in trouble or something, did she need me? But i text her then to check and thankfully she was fine. It had never happened before and never happened after - some mundane explanation i'm sure, but it had me very surprised. It was a hot pink samsung slide phone and this happened in about 2009, the sort you could constantly slide up & down and snap shut dramatically!
I noted here recently that my phone one morning just activted - it was on - and began broadcasting what sounded like walkie-talkie conversation from street repair people. I think they can pick up random wifi instructions and follow them. Which is scary.

I noted here recently that my phone one morning just activted - it was on - and began broadcasting what sounded like walkie-talkie conversation from street repair people. I think they can pick up random wifi instructions and follow them. Which is scary.
That must have been very unnerving! Was certaintly mildly freaked out at the time but like you say the device was probs picking up a signal from somewhere, there were no other issues with that phone and i had it for quite a long time (flip phones and then slide phones, those were the days....)

Back to the pre-written texts on phones...A handset I had a few years ago had a collection of one-click messages you could send e.g. "busy right now will call later" or "in a meeting" etc.

My favourite was "I love you xxx"

Now that is lazy.

Good call.
Well, sometimes.

But more often, it's a damn annoyance (the moist ouija board of non-serendipity meets puck, the precipitous pocket-dialler, whilst you swish-stride down corridors, whistle in the lavatory, or curse as you're parking the car)

I place my faith (well, more-accurately, my phone) in a freezer bag. With an elastic band. Continues to work perfectly, and the eye:brain subtracts the prophylaxis after just a few encounters. Then, for up-the-hill hikes, a lightly-greased (no, seriously: vaseline) bluetooth earpiece completes the eternal battle between water and tech (which is the modern proxy for fire- zo, alles ist güt).

No, you're welcome. Just keep that earpiece slick, and that phablet wrapped, and ~>eureka<~

Last edited:
Back to the pre-written texts on phones...A handset I had a few years ago had a collection of one-click messages you could send e.g. "busy right now will call later" or "in a meeting" etc.

My favourite was "I love you xxx"

Now that is lazy.

That feature on iPhones delighted me. I programmed them with many useful shortcuts. However, as it went onto all my Apple devices it can still work and get me in trouble if I don't pay attention!

Switched to Androids a couple of years ago and they don't support short cuts so my current mystery message isn't from that.

We do have a thread on Telephone Weirdness, perhaps this belongs there?

This bit of Minor Strangeness happened a good few years ago, reading the Mediumship thread reminded me but it seems more suited to here just now.

I was sitting on the sofa enjoying the sun and reading one of those books written by a medium, hoping to find something that would convince me, but really knowing that nothing read in a book of that nature, interesting though they might be, was going to convince me. Personal experience is what counts so I closed the book and my eyes and with my skeptic hat on re-examined the strange things/coincidences that had happened to me. Ah that pull between wanting to believe and being honest ... how I wish I'd taken notes to clear up the gaps in memory! I wondered if I'd ever have any more maybe one that my skeptic self couldn't gainsay! A message that was clear ..... 'please Universe is it too much to ask?'

Suddenly I heard a voice say:-

'You have no messages'!

Oh great that's me told then!

Ah must have imagined it some part of my subconcious engaging in wish fulfulment or something.

Then again:-

'You have no messages'!

YIKES! It's a real voice and I'm in the house on my own! Do not panic! Breath slowly carefully look around.

I'm sure the rest of you are ahead of me on this one. 'specially as I'd mentioned it seemed to fit right in with the above!

It was pre ubiquitous mobile phone days and my gadget loving partner had bought an answer phone thingy (damn thing, stupid waste of time I never went near it being technologically challenged and even HE had given up on it when he realised that replying to any messages meant that the caller got the chat on OUR bill!)

It was on the other side of the room and I was nowhere near it. It had never before in my hearing turned itself on and it never did it again, at least while we were in the house (we didn't get rid of it 'just in case' and it sat there waiting for mobile phones to be invented!)

An electrical blip then but you've got to admit that the timing was neat and still leaves room for wonderment. :)

A mere random coincidence that turned out to be meaningful? A signal from my brain? The 'other side' using a gadget to get through?

HO HUM

Sollywos x

Last edited:
On my cycle home today I pulled up at a set of traffic lights alongside a middle aged man on a wheelchair who was propelling himself via use of full size skiing poles exactly like a skier, sticking the spikes into the road & shoving backwards. He was turning right at a major road junction & decided to take off early from the lights in an effort to avoid getting stuck in the middle of the road whilst waiting for a gap in the traffic, in front of an oncoming bus which was forced to give way to him.

Because he wasn't or couldn't apply equal pressure to both poles he wasn't exactly going in a straight line. And what he'd do going downhill I didn't hang around to find out. Wish I had now. Old bill would've probably had a word with him.

Back