• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Magnet Fishing & Odd Objects 'Caught'

uair01

Antediluvian
I didn't know this hobby, but it looks like fun. There is a lot of it on YouTube.
Here is one local example: magnet fishing in Rotterdam (also a bicycle, of course):

I didn't know this hobby, but it looks like fun. There is a lot of it on YouTube.
Here is one local example: magnet fishing in Rotterdam (also a bicycle, of course):
I'm a little surprised that coins came up.
I did a little bit of that when I was a young kid. I didn't get much because I had a puny magnet.

I'm a little surprised that coins came up.
I did a little bit of that when I was a young kid. I didn't get much because I had a puny magnet.
You can buy powerful magnets in chandleries - boat owners use them to recover stuff dropped over the side accidentally. (But remember not to store it near your compass!)

The surreal fruits of magnet fishing in Rotterdam waters (saw some folks doing that).

magnet01.jpgmagnet02.jpg

The surreal fruits of magnet fishing in Rotterdam waters (saw some folks doing that).

First time I heard of that activity was last year when two men were killed doing it -

Father and son found dead after 'magnet fishing' in Huddersfield canal

All very sad.

However, the article mentions the attractions of the hobby. Seems you can find all sorts -

Earlier this month a Gloucestershire man was reported to have found a safe full of jewellery in the lake in a Cheltenham park after watching a programme about magnet fishing on TV.

Also this month, police were forced to detonate a hand grenade in Birmingham after it was pulled from a canal in the city by a man who was magnet fishing.

First time I heard of that activity was last year when two men were killed doing it -

Father and son found dead after 'magnet fishing' in Huddersfield canal

All very sad.

However, the article mentions the attractions of the hobby. Seems you can find all sorts -
Quite a popular You Tube activity. Stolen motorcycles and safes seem to be the finds in the Uk. In the States it seems to be guns, some dating back to the civil war period. In Europe and particularly Russia it's WW2 artifacts and there are astonishing finds to be had. The Russians who go ice fishing with magnets have found remains of soldiers (subsequently laid to rest properly) and other amazing pieces. Really fascinating hobby - not so much in the Uk though. Dreadful accident in Huddersfield.

Magnet fishing became every popular when the price of scrap metal started to get silly.

INT21.

is magnetic fishing even legal?

I know its not encouraged in canals.

Is a magnetic fish edible?

is magnetic fishing even legal?

I know its not encouraged in canals.

Is a magnetic fish edible?
Magnet fishing is illegal without the explicit permission of the waters owner, and banned on canals.:dunno:

The magnet fishing craze seems to be reeling in all sorts of military hardware ...
Father and son find World War II bomb while magnet fishing

A British man magnet fishing with his 6-year-old son ... reeled in an object identified as a World War II-era bomb.

Ben Austin said he and his son, Finley, were magnet fishing in the River Mole from a bridge in Dorking, England, when their magnet attached to a metal object in the water. ...

"As soon as I pulled it up, I was like 'what is that?' If you said to me what a WW2 bomb looks like I would think a massive car tire; it looked a miniature size. I thought 'this is a bomb.' My son was trying to grab it and pull it up and I said, 'no, this is a real bomb,'" Austin told SurreyLive.

Austin called 999 and was asked to text photos of the object to police. Officers advised him to get a safe distance away from the object while a bomb disposal unit was summoned to the scene.

He said the experts detonated the magnet, as it was still attached to the explosive, but the experience made it worth the $25 purchase.

"I was happy to let the magnet get blown into smithereens," he said. ...

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/0...r-II-bomb-while-magnet-fishing/1141594322690/

Sutton Coldfield man magnet fishes 19 unexploded hand grenades from the river Tame ..
"Some of them still had the pins in them!" .. he said, in a Birmingham accent
Man pulls 19 hand grenades out of river while magnet fishing | The Independent
Excuse my ignorance but what is he expecting to catch fishing with a magnet? A lump of iron?

NOTE:
Stories of explosive devices (e.g., bombs, grenades, etc.) discovered while magnet fishing are to be found in this other thread:

Unexploded Bombs, Grenades & Other Explosive Military Gear
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...grenades-other-explosive-military-gear.30444/

Last edited by a moderator:
There's loads of videos on youtube, that's all I know

A lot of clickbait there - as in shark-infested waters!

"We found a body - identified! - when magnet-fishing." It was a fish! :(

The disappointment was almost equal to that of the magnet-fishing game I had, as a kid.

The plastic fish had nails for noses but someone had substituted aluminium for iron ones! We learned to play this game with a lot of patience. :dpoo:

The disappointment was almost equal to that of the magnet-fishing game I had, as a kid.

The plastic fish had nails for noses but someone had substituted aluminium for iron ones! We learned to play this game with a lot of patience. :dpoo:
Somebody's little joke, or was it just unintentional?

Dont the waterways people disencourage this sort of thing now?

Whilst on a sabbatical from the forum i came across a video of a father and son magnet fishing in a river in Leicester, over the period of the video they found a number of strange packages of, what can only be rescribed as offerings. These were in the form of bags and boxes, taped up to prevent water ingress, containing loose change (mostly low denomination) candles and religious items, such as roseries and crucifixes. I have now idea what what these are or what the reason for these offerings are. Can anybody shed any light on this?

For more on this story see:
Offerings In Leicester River
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/offerings-in-leicester-river.68041/

Last edited by a moderator:
A man and his grandson found two Barrett sniper rifles submerged in a canal near Miami.
Man, grandson reel in 2 rifles magnet fishing near Miami

A man and his 11-year-old grandson found a little more than they were looking for during a weekend fishing trip. The pair pulled two .50-caliber Barrett sniper rifles out of a canal near Miami.

Duane Smith told the Miami Herald he saw a YouTube video on magnet fishing and decided to give it a try on Sunday. They dropped a 5-pound (2-kilograms) magnet in the C-102 canal in southern Miami-Dade County.

“We ended up with two pounds of scrap metal and 40 pounds of gun,” Smith told the newspaper.

The guns were not loaded and they didn’t find any ammunition.

“The Barretts had so much mass,” Smith, 61, said. “The magnet went straight to them.”

Smith told the newspaper he was concerned because the serial numbers on the lower receivers of the weapons and the bolt of one of the rifles were filed off. ...

“Whoever did this is not your run-of-the-mill criminal,” said Smith, a former Army infantry officer. ...
SOURCE: https://apnews.com/article/oddities-miami-6bd1ba126b5fc76cef2dea34fb1b8f80

A man and his grandson found two Barrett sniper rifles submerged in a canal near Miami.
SOURCE: https://apnews.com/article/oddities-miami-6bd1ba126b5fc76cef2dea34fb1b8f80

The UPI version of this story includes the following bit, which hints even more strongly at criminal use.
Smith said both guns were missing their barrels and had their serial numbers filed off.
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/02/01/Florida-magnet-fishing-sniper-rifles/2231643749991/

Back