• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

It’s all very well to make sympathetic noises, but if every checkout is staffed by a Martha and every queue contains a “Doris”, it bloody well adds up.

maximus otter

I knew of someone who worked in a supermarket where any items that were no longer of merchantable quality (split packs, ripped boxes, dented items from being dropped etc etc) were basically given to the staff for pennies. Funny how they seemed to have an enormous amount of stuff split, ripped or dented, and it was always the things that the staff actually wanted. Never tins of artichoke hearts or bags of garlic flavoured cous cous.....

That won't happen now all supermarkets have slit each other's throats. There are not enough staff to cover tasks. On average for ever £1 lost it takes £100 in sales to cover it. Every theft reduces a budget allocated to staff hours and makes their job so much harder. The shareholder never suffers from such theft.

That won't happen now all supermarkets have slit each other's throats. There are not enough staff to cover tasks. On average for ever £1 lost it takes £100 in sales to cover it. Every theft reduces a budget allocated to staff hours and makes their job so much harder. The shareholder never suffers from such theft.
More of the Race to the Bottom mentality. The worst of it is, the bottom doesn't seem to get any closer.

If some people didn't insist that they want to support British farming for example, and then go somewhere as the milk is 10p cheaper, we may fare better. As consumers we have the supply chain that we deserve.

I know at ASDA that if a kid eats fruit or chocolate, whatever, you can tell them on the till and they will give you a token, it is priced up to a quid, i presume they charge you the extra if its something over a quid

All goes to show that there are grey areas... I agree theft is theft, but just sometimes... also thinking about what Robert Anton Wilson called "the revenge of the repressed". Walmart/ASDA is not the best employer in the world and I sense long-term employees there can get a bit pissed off with the bosses, so they might not pursue things like this too strenuously, as a sort of passive "screw you". I do remember the woman who had a kind of "neighbour from Hell" vibe about her and who was well known in the area got very short shrift when she was caught out nicking and encouraging her kids to do the nicking - nobody was inclined to be in the least bit sympathetic with her or to cut her any slack. None whatsoever, I guess what Terry Pratchett dramatised as "the rough music" started playing with a vengeance...

Teapot synchronicity!

A friend sent me a random photo of a teapot belonging to a friend she was visiting today. No reason. Just random teapot photo.

But it turned out to be the same teapot I used for my peppermint tea whilst having lunch at the Edwardian Tearooms in the Birmingham museum and art gallery today. I recognised it because I had admired the teapot and thought how I'd like to own one.

Talking of teapots.

I'm selling a basic teapot on a selling site and was messaging the buyer. A what's app from a friend who's birthday popped up. I clicked it and typed happy birthday only to have actually messaged the buyer. Of course I apologised but the buyer came back "it is my birthday".

Talking of teapots.

I'm selling a basic teapot on a selling site and was messaging the buyer. A what's app from a friend who's birthday popped up. I clicked it and typed happy birthday only to have actually messaged the buyer. Of course I apologised but the buyer came back "it is my birthday".

That's nuts! Brilliant.

Woke this morning at 7 am, everything was a bright pink, even the curtains looked pink,
looked outside and the sky and houses were the same, I have seen a red sky in the morning
but this was very strange but I am sure was connected to the same effect, by 8 am all was
back to normal, anyone else notice anything.

Woke this morning at 7 am, everything was a bright pink, even the curtains looked pink,
looked outside and the sky and houses were the same, I have seen a red sky in the morning
but this was very strange but I am sure was connected to the same effect, by 8 am all was

There was a lovely red dawn here too. Very pretty indeed.

Had a slightly odd occurrence last night. I climbed into bed and suddenly felt my top lip swell up.
Got up and had a look in a mirror. It had suddenly popped out in a swelling, almost as if it was an allergic reaction or an insect bite.
I looked around the bed to see if there was an insect or spider, but there was nothing.
When I woke up this morning, all was back to normal.

climbed into bed
Nylon sheets? Or at least dry, minimal/nil cotton?

It had suddenly popped out in a swelling
Have been zapped by static electricity in bed. Especially overseas, when low humidity. Can give a very-noticable localised burn, which gives brief swelling then no trace.

Had a slightly odd occurrence last night. I climbed into bed and suddenly felt my top lip swell up.
Got up and had a look in a mirror. It had suddenly popped out in a swelling, almost as if it was an allergic reaction or an insect bite.
I looked around the bed to see if there was an insect or spider, but there was nothing.

Just a guess, but perhaps it was contact dermatitis. Was the swelling itchy? That said, if it was an allergic reaction I would have thought more of your face would have been affected.

Some years ago I had contact dermatitis and it seemed to be at its worst when I was in bed. After a few nights of waking up in the wee hours to discover I was scratching my own face I went to my GP. She gave me a prescription which cleared it up very quickly. I've no idea what might have caused it because there was nothing new in my home environment such a different laundry soap, etc. It was very odd because I had never before experienced it and it hasn't happened since then, touch wood.

Just a guess, but perhaps it was contact dermatitis. Was the swelling itchy? That said, if it was an allergic reaction I would have thought more of your face would have been affected.

Some years ago I had contact dermatitis and it seemed to be at its worst when I was in bed. After a few nights of waking up in the wee hours to discover I was scratching my own face I went to my GP. She gave me a prescription which cleared it up very quickly. I've no idea what might have caused it because there was nothing new in my home environment such a different laundry soap, etc. It was very odd because I had never before experienced it and it hasn't happened since then, touch wood.
It may be that. I itch like crazy when I'm in bed (clean sheets and all). It may be an allergy.

Here is a photo of a pink fog on the morning of Feb 21, I assume the photographer must be from your neck of the woods.

Years ago, we had a visit from our old friend Jean, who lives far enough away that we don't see her very often. She came up from the city to celebrate her birthday. Ms. Popper went out to the mail box and came back with an envelope addressed to her, from my sister. It was a birthday card, but Ms. Popper's birthday was months away. Anyone who knows my sister would not be at all surprised by this. Without missing a beat, Ms. Popper said, "Jean, I think this is for you," and handed it to her. My mother got a good laugh when I called her and told her about it. My sister's response when she heard about it? "Well, see, I knew it was somebody's birthday out there."

Something like this happened to me several years ago, only it was both lips and the swelling must have happened overnight while I was asleep as I was fine when I went to bed.

It looked as if I'd had lip injections when I woke up the next morning and luckily I didn't have to go to work that day because I looked really strange. Of course my first thought was maybe a spider bite (shudder) had caused it, but I could find no marks or evidence...just two evenly inflated lips. Fortunately the swelling gradually began to subside after a few hours and was gone by evening, but it was just bizarre.

I never felt anything different though. If I hadn't seen it in my bathroom mirror I never would have known.

when-you-fall-asleep-spiders-rub-their-willies-face-on-25277084.png

This UL/meme has been printed onto teeshirts, and muttered in corridors, since the early 1990s (UK & Ireland plus Commonwealth....they don't have willies in the USA/RoW cf the "Free Willie" paradigm).

I bow to the insight and expertise of any arachnogical/ entomological experts on the forum (indeed: if there are any arachnids or spider-identifying superheroes reading this, do you have anything you need to tell us? We don't want any leg-pulls here, but if you've some proper first-hand information from the web, stick it to us)

On wisdom teeth...........I visited the dentist several years ago after not visiting for quite some time as I had damaged one of my teeth. He did the x-rays of my gob. Afterwards when he looked at them he turned to me and said "Well.....I've never seen THIS before" (typical in our family with anything medical, we always seem to be freaks in some respect!).
He pointed to the x-ray pics and showed me that my wisdom teeth were fully grown, but had grown lengthways through the jawbone, underneath all my other teeth! (I had not experienced any pain from my teeth, hence the lack of dentistry)
During the discussion that followed he basically said that they'd have to stay there as removing them would cause my jaw to collapse.
Nice.

@Trevp666 perhaps your dentist was somewhat inexperienced, or was being unnecessarily dramatic. Rest assured that intramandibular disto-impacted wisdom teeth are not as rare as they may have indicated.

Most of us tend these days to display the annoying tendancies of living beyond 25, and not having to chew on salad made from tree-bark or crunching upon the femurs of dead donkeys. In which era, wisdom teeth would've been useful.

Some seem to think that evolutionary pressures will weed wisdom teeth out, eventually, but I have doubts.

Back