• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

@Trevp666 perhaps your dentist was somewhat inexperienced, or was being unnecessarily dramatic. Rest assured that intramandibular disto-impacted wisdom teeth are not as rare as they may have indicated.

Most of us tend these days to display the annoying tendancies of living beyond 25, and not having to chew on salad made from tree-bark or crunching upon the femurs of dead donkeys. In which era, wisdom teeth would've been useful.

Some seem to think that evolutionary pressures will weed wisdom teeth out, eventually, but I have doubts.
By the time wisdom teeth have come most people have sprogged so not much evolutionary pressure to weed them out. My wife had three removed recently. It did not go well :(.

Trev666 I had a wisdom tooth that grew like that then it grew downwards eventually. It became loose so over a period of months I would wiggle at it and it eventually came out. Luckily it had one straight root as I know wisdom teeth can be really difficult and some even have very long roots. When I eventually went to the Dentist they were taken aback that I had removed it myself. I guess I was just lucky with the root system. Although it has left behind a long lump of hard fleshy bit or gum or whatever in its place. I have had X rays but the Dentist isn't bothered about it.

Trev666 I had a wisdom tooth that grew like that then it grew downwards eventually. It became loose so over a period of months I would wiggle at it and it eventually came out. Luckily it had one straight root as I know wisdom teeth can be really difficult and some even have very long roots. When I eventually went to the Dentist they were taken aback that I had removed it myself. I guess I was just lucky with the root system. Although it has left behind a long lump of hard fleshy bit or gum or whatever in its place. I have had X rays but the Dentist isn't bothered about it.
The dentist can remove the excess bit of gum. They can cut it out with a laser and cauterise it.

Something like this happened to me several years ago, only it was both lips and the swelling must have happened overnight while I was asleep as I was fine when I went to bed.

It looked as if I'd had lip injections when I woke up the next morning and luckily I didn't have to go to work that day because I looked really strange. Of course my first thought was maybe a spider bite (shudder) had caused it, but I could find no marks or evidence...just two evenly inflated lips. Fortunately the swelling gradually began to subside after a few hours and was gone by evening, but it was just bizarre.

I never felt anything different though. If I hadn't seen it in my bathroom mirror I never would have known.

May be an allergy to your toothpaste. You can get allergic to things practically overnight that previously never caused you any bother at all (she says. somewhat tersely, having experienced this on many occasions...)

Driving out of Bradford along Manningham Lane on Friday. Traffic very slow.

On the pavement on the other side of the road was a man moving rather eractically close to a wall.

Then I noticed he only had one leg. This in itself isn't so unusual, but what was is that he had no crutches.

He looked pretty wasted, and I wonder if he had upset someone who had taken the crutches from him.

But my question really was ' how is he going to get across the road to the next support ?'

But the traffic moved on, so I never found out.

INT21.

Just remembered. On the same trip, driving along the Bingley bypass (AKA Sir Fred Hoyle way) I noticed a car some distance ahead that was indicating to turn left. I glanced into my mirror in case I needed to pull over to the right lane to allow this car to execute it's turn off. When I looked back, it had gone. There was a different vehicle where it had been.

It also dawned on me that there was no left turn for it to take. There is only one turn off to the left and I had passed that earlier. It just wasn't there anymore.

Very odd.

Some seem to think that evolutionary pressures will weed wisdom teeth out, eventually, but I have doubts.

Hmmm, I wonder about that. Some people don't develop all four wisdom teeth. I only had three - all now removed - and I know a few people who've had just two or none at all. That's just anecdotal, of course; I've no idea what the statistics are. The fact that some individuals don't develop the full complement of wisdom teeth might be an indication that evolution is very gradually causing them to disappear. I'm no evolutionary biologist but it does give me pause for thought.

Hmmm, I wonder about that. Some people don't develop all four wisdom teeth. I only had three - all now removed - and I know a few people who've had just two or none at all. That's just anecdotal, of course; I've no idea what the statistics are. The fact that some individuals don't develop the full complement of wisdom teeth might be an indication that evolution is very gradually causing them to disappear. I'm no evolutionary biologist but it does give me pause for thought.

I never developed adult lateral incisors (the teeth next to the top front teeth, I think that's what they are called), neither do any of my children have them. One of my daughters had pictures taken of her back teeth to be used as some kind of dental study because some of them are in reverse order. Unfortunately I don't know which ones because I've never had the nerve to prop her mouth open for long enough to actually look.

But yes, teeth are very susceptible to genetic pressures, I believe.

I've still got a milk tooth. I had a filling in it when I was about ten and it's still there, no adult tooth under to push it out apparently. Dentist told me it would rot and fall out before I was 20, I'm 42 now and it's still going strong.

I've never had a tooth removed, the thought petrifies me.

Since this thread is about Minor Strangeness, but has bitten-in to teeth truths, I cite the co-tangential curiousity of people (principally, it would appear, Japanese girls) who seek cosmetic dentistry to unstraighten & uneven their teeth.

This ("yaeba teeth") is done to allegedly increase their quotient of approachable attractiveness https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011/10/26/crooked-teeth-trend-japan_n_1031281.html
article-2271585-17475B7F000005DC-531_634x583.jpg

It would be great to actually find a first-person witness to this phenomenon (I suppose in comparison with a massive facial tattoo or ear-stretching, getting your teeth made more crooked is fairly minor)

Teeth with a gap between them - not just between top front ones, but so that they are stand alone teeth? Is it genetic? A marker of a particular condition?

I ask between they are not rare in later medieval art, both manuscript and stone carving. Often interpreted as "giants".

Bloody bu88erin' teeth!!!

I'm avoiding the mirror just now having recently had a front tooth removed. I was horrified as I've had the odd back tooth removed over the years but this is something different. It was all so sudden I've never had trouble with that one before but after trying the 'if I ignore it it will go away' technique for a week I had to see the dentist. X-ray then out no time to get used to the idea :(

Can't get used to the damn plate either but I'll try again once the gap has healed properly.

As regards wisdom teeth mine were giving me no end of trouble in my early 20's. I was given the option of one out at a time which would have cost me the four fees or all out at once under a general aneasthetic at the hospital for free! Not a hard decision to make but boy did it hurt when I came round!

So although not a minor I'm looking a bit strange at the moment.

Sollywos x

Ps I think I could get used to it .. start a new trend as in the Japanese example above, 'What? You've got all your front teeth? My dear that is just so last season!!'

'What? You've got all your front teeth? My dear that is just so last season!!'

:D

Not looking to give medical advice, but I've been trying to support people who have new plates and also sensory issues. Best results have been to wear it asap and as long as possible. Then it becomes the new normal /and/ the mouth has a chance to heal around it in harmony...... that really doesn't sound right!

We had a little old lady at one of the homes i worked in, and i walked in one morning and she was sitting there with the biggest lips i have ever seen, didn't seem to be bothered by it either, so i asked the girls what had happened, apparently her family had bought her some soap in, and she had eaten it, so Mytho, have you been munching soap ? :p

Woke this morning at 7 am, everything was a bright pink, even the curtains looked pink,
looked outside and the sky and houses were the same, I have seen a red sky in the morning
but this was very strange but I am sure was connected to the same effect, by 8 am all was
back to normal, anyone else notice anything.
Underpants still on your head?

I just walked into the living room to see a ten pound note on the floor. The thing is I've been in all day on my own, up since 8, working in the same room. I haven't touched my wallet or even been out. So I must have gone nearly 12 hours without noticing it lying there or else it just miraculously appeared out of nowhere. Strange, but I'm not complaining!

We had a little old lady at one of the homes i worked in, and i walked in one morning and she was sitting there with the biggest lips i have ever seen, didn't seem to be bothered by it either, so i asked the girls what had happened, apparently her family had bought her some soap in, and she had eaten it, so Mytho, have you been munching soap ? :p
No.

I just walked into the living room to see a ten pound note on the floor. The thing is I've been in all day on my own, up since 8, working in the same room. I haven't touched my wallet or even been out. So I must have gone nearly 12 hours without noticing it lying there or else it just miraculously appeared out of nowhere. Strange, but I'm not complaining!
The 'little people' are trying to help you.

:D

Not looking to give medical advice, but I've been trying to support people who have new plates and also sensory issues. Best results have been to wear it asap and as long as possible. Then it becomes the new normal /and/ the mouth has a chance to heal around it in harmony...... that really doesn't sound right!

Thankyou Frideswide :) the dentist had fitted the plate straight away and told me to keep it in until bedtime, It took me ages to get it out and in again the next morning and so on for a few days. Turned out I'd got an infection and so I had to leave it out until it was healed. In again today and I'm NOT a happy bunny.. It's nice to know there is someone on here with with a bit of knowledge about the difficulties.

Would it be alright to pm you if I have anything specific I need to ask? I mean it's all very 'minor strange' for me but hardly Fortean. (I have tried asking the Tooth Fairy to give it back but I can't quite make myself believe enough so it doesn't happen. :( )

Sollywos x

sure - but really, I know very little! what I have you are very welcome to though :) The main thing seems to be to develop a relationship with the staff (not neccessarily the dentists) at the place you go. Sometimes the hygienists are their go-to-people.

I'll PM a refernce that has been useful so far. But please don't think I'm an expret!

Back