• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Today in a hospital waiting room, I saw an old tattered copy of the magazine "Harper's Bazaar", for probably the first time in 20yrs.

On arriving home, and opening a web-browser session for Facebook, the first advertising popup seen was for...Harper's Bazaar.

That happens too often...

Both- am I collectively-right in my presumption that it's due to the same reason?

Massive sizes of galactic bodies over incomprehendably-vast distances, creating a unique 'averaged' point-source?
[NERD ALERT]
The stars, galaxies etc are in motion relative to each other but this motion is very very slow (on human time scales) relative to their distance. So for all practical purposes they appear to be fixed in position relative to each other.
The earth’s motion especially its rotation on its axis is on the other hand relatively rapid and must be compensated for when taking time exposures of the heavens, or even just looking through a moderately sized telescope.

The stars are for all practical purposes point sources of light because they are so distant relative to their size. Air currents in the atmosphere cause “twinkling”, and these and the physical limitations of optical systems distort the ideal point sources into disks of finite size. Thus the unending quest for larger telescopes and telescopes in space.
[/NERD ALERT]

Last edited:
Even tracking the Moon with my 8" Newtonian Telescope calls for constant adjustment.

penny aport under my chair and fall to the ground
Since for you the penny has dropped, have you experienced any gnostic insights or supranatural enlightenments?

Might a guest biped have artfully, wilfully or unwittingly, inserted a minordinate coin of the realm into the underscarp of your funiture?

Is it a smooth worn 1897 Victorian cartwheel or a modern gleaming disk of metallic meaninglessness?

Pennies possess paramagnetic properties (this statement is both true & correct).

Might it have been birthed (or pooped) from the chair's fundament, following a slow sliding passage from person (previous)'s puckered pocket, plummeting heads over tails into the tight unremitting receptive slot of arm/back or cushion?

I think this is evidence of Them. It's circumstantial. But They (the overpaid, loose-pocketed furniture removal men of this world) have been resting on their Laura Ashleys for too long. Change has got to happen: and my tip is maybe this time it did.

I dont have any change in my pockets, nor do I normally do so
You are the Duke of Edinburgh, and I claim my £5 (though evidently not from you)

I have just realised that in a rather geo-nondiverse way, I've forgotten where you're held captive. Are you sitting in the Untied Kingdom, greater Eorpa, the Americas, Antarctica-Australasia or somewhere exotic like Albania? Because they all have different Pennies, you know. Mine used to be a midwife, before I appointed her as my aunt

Last edited:
All this talk about birds has reminded me of a dream I had a few years ago. I dreamed that the front room of my childhood home (where my mother and brother resided) was full of crows. When I woke up, and knowing my portents, I rang my brother to make sure all was well.

It was, although my mother has since died. I should go back and see if I can find the date of that dream, in case it coincides with anything. Although it probably won't and will just have been one of those things...

You are the Duke of Edinburgh, and I claim my £5
Doesn't this kind of thing stem from (I think) a newspaper or radio promotion years ago whereby if you spotted someone, whos name I can't recall (lets call them Dave Fiver for the purposes of this query), you could actually walk up to them and say "You are Dave Fiver and I claim my £5" and they would give you the cash....?

I was vacuuming this afternoon and saw a $2 coin get sucked up and heard it go through to the cannister.
Afterwards I took it outside and emptied it and went over it with a brush but it the coin was nowhere to be found.
I wonder if someone somewhere has suddenly got an apport.

I was vacuuming this afternoon and saw a $2 coin get sucked up and heard it go through to the cannister.
Afterwards I took it outside and emptied it and went over it with a brush but it the coin was nowhere to be found.
I wonder if someone somewhere has suddenly got an apport.
It'll probably end up on my street in Norfolk, England. I'll mail it back to you when it does.

Walking up to Work on Friday in central London I spotted a guy with a flat cap with a hawk on his arm, patrolling the flats next to a shopping centre. The hawk was huge, think of a Lammergeier, and I can only assume it was used as a deterrent to stop pigeons settling - although what first alerted me were the crows in the Park kicking off. If only he'd patrolled the flats in the neighbouring street, maybe the hawk could have stopped the infernal screeching of the parakeets - these birds used to be the first sound of Spring in London but during last Winter they've never shut up.

Since for you the penny has dropped, have you experienced any gnostic insights or supranatural enlightenments?

Might a guest biped have artfully, wilfully or unwittingly, inserted a minordinate coin of the realm into the underscarp of your funiture?

Is it a smooth worn 1897 Victorian cartwheel or a modern gleaming disk of metallic meaninglessness?

Pennies possess paramagnetic properties (this statement is both true & correct).

Might it have been birthed (or pooped) from the chair's fundament, following a slow sliding passage from person (previous)'s puckered pocket, plummeting heads over tails into the tight unremitting receptive slot of arm/back or cushion?

I think this is evidence of Them. It's circumstantial. But They (the overpaid, loose-pocketed furniture removal men of this world) have been resting on their Laura Ashleys for too long. Change has got to happen: and my tip is maybe this time it did.

You are the Duke of Edinburgh, and I claim my £5 (though evidently not from you)

I have just realised that in a rather geo-nondiverse way, I've forgotten where you're held captive. Are you sitting in the Untied Kingdom, greater Eorpa, the Americas, Antarctica-Australasia or somewhere exotic like Albania? Because they all have different Pennies, you know. Mine used to be a midwife, before I appointed her as my aunt
I live in the US, and it's a normal american penny, though relatively old for common circulation, being stamped 1971. In all likelihood it was simply wedged in my chair and randomly worked it's way loose.

Unfortunately no insights or enlightenments have followed. Just a random unexpected penny.

About a year ago I found a 1943 farthing on the floor at work. I was informed by those in the know that this was worth quarter of a penny.

I assumed it was someones 'lucky' farthing that they carried around and dropped (unlucky) but now i'm wondering....

I showed it to a manager who said 'shows how long since you've swept the floor'. cheeky bugger!

About a year ago I found a 1943 farthing on the floor at work. I was informed by those in the know that this was worth quarter of a penny.

I assumed it was someones 'lucky' farthing that they carried around and dropped (unlucky) but now i'm wondering....

I showed it to a manager who said 'shows how long since you've swept the floor'. cheeky bugger!

:rofl2: at the manager's comment!

Talking of 'lucky' coins - before we met, my ex and I each carried a 'lucky' 1952 half-crown. We didn't know each other did this.

One day one coin was on a table and we both went to pick it up, and accused each other of attempting to purloin our lucky charm!

What a coincidence, eh. We are long divorced now and both coins are in my loft somewhere. One day I'll dig them out and give them to our kids.

Ermintruder wrote that Pennies posses paramagnetic properties.

After 1992 they were made from copper coated steel. A 2015 Penny I just tested is indeed attracted to a magnet.

Paramagnetism is due to the presence of unpaired electrons in the material, so all atoms with incompletely filled atomic orbitals are paramagnetic. Due to their spin, unpaired electrons have a magnetic dipole moment and act like tiny magnets.

Wiki

Last week we were out in a city miles from home, sitting in a restaurant waiting to be served. Our waitress came over, hovered a bit and then asked me if I did the craft or summat.

I thought she meant crafts, like knitting or whatever, but Techy started laughing so I realised she meant Craft, as in, I dunno, y'know, weird stuff.

They chatted a bit about it and it all went over my head.

T'other day I was at work when a colleague said 'Ooooh what's that smell, it's you! That hippy stuff that bikers have!'
He went on a bit and I realised he meant he could smell patchouli oil on me.
I didn't have any on and nothing I was wearing or carrying did. I do sometimes but not at work!

What is it with these bloody psychic types?

While she looks at you so cooly
And her eyes shine like the moon in the sea
She comes in incense and patchouli

While she looks at you so cooly
And her eyes shine like the moon in the sea
She comes in incense and patchouli
So you take her, to find what's waiting inside
The year of the cat

Edit - I'm currently chatting with Escette about her deep need to acquire all the cats in the world and one of my own cats has just stood on t'doofer and switched channels on me. What a time to be alive.

Yep, eldest daughter is named after an Ultravox song. Middle daughter missed out on the song-name, but we thought she was going to be a boy. The boys have 'ordinary' names.

I have lived in my house for almost 3 years now, and although it is a very old house ( no-ones really sure just how old) nothing Fortean has ever happened.

Last night however about 11pm I was sitting in the living room quietly reading, the missus had gone to bed and the cat was lying beside me on the sofa, when very suddenly the cat sat up, hissed at something close by to where we were sitting, sat up on his hind legs and flayed his front legs around like he was in a cat fight, then jumped and hid behind the bookcase – the bookcase is where he goes to hide if there Is a thunderstorm, or fireworks are going off etc.

It made my jump out of my skin, I looked around wildly expecting to see something fortean, but no, there was nothing there at all.

We’ve had the cat for 11 years and he’s never done that before, even in the old house where genuine weird experiences went on quite a bit.

Any ideas..?

I have lived in my house for almost 3 years now, and although it is a very old house ( no-ones really sure just how old) nothing Fortean has ever happened.

Last night however about 11pm I was sitting in the living room quietly reading, the missus had gone to bed and the cat was lying beside me on the sofa, when very suddenly the cat sat up, hissed at something close by to where we were sitting, sat up on his hind legs and flayed his front legs around like he was in a cat fight, then jumped and hid behind the bookcase – the bookcase is where he goes to hide if there Is a thunderstorm, or fireworks are going off etc.

It made my jump out of my skin, I looked around wildly expecting to see something fortean, but no, there was nothing there at all.

We’ve had the cat for 11 years and he’s never done that before, even in the old house where genuine weird experiences went on quite a bit.

Any ideas..?

PSX_20190311_114612.jpg

Back