• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I have lived in my house for almost 3 years now, and although it is a very old house ( no-ones really sure just how old) nothing Fortean has ever happened.

Last night however about 11pm I was sitting in the living room quietly reading, the missus had gone to bed and the cat was lying beside me on the sofa, when very suddenly the cat sat up, hissed at something close by to where we were sitting, sat up on his hind legs and flayed his front legs around like he was in a cat fight, then jumped and hid behind the bookcase – the bookcase is where he goes to hide if there Is a thunderstorm, or fireworks are going off etc.

It made my jump out of my skin, I looked around wildly expecting to see something fortean, but no, there was nothing there at all.

We’ve had the cat for 11 years and he’s never done that before, even in the old house where genuine weird experiences went on quite a bit.

Any ideas..?
Cats do have dreams although I've never run into a reaction that strong. Perhaps a nightmare.

I have lived in my house for almost 3 years now, and although it is a very old house ( no-ones really sure just how old) nothing Fortean has ever happened.

Last night however about 11pm I was sitting in the living room quietly reading, the missus had gone to bed and the cat was lying beside me on the sofa, when very suddenly the cat sat up, hissed at something close by to where we were sitting, sat up on his hind legs and flayed his front legs around like he was in a cat fight, then jumped and hid behind the bookcase – the bookcase is where he goes to hide if there Is a thunderstorm, or fireworks are going off etc.

It made my jump out of my skin, I looked around wildly expecting to see something fortean, but no, there was nothing there at all.

We’ve had the cat for 11 years and he’s never done that before, even in the old house where genuine weird experiences went on quite a bit.

Any ideas..?
You do know that cats like to play mind games on their humans, right?:cat:
Maybe he was having a cat mare. My one cat was sleeping very soundly when she immediately jumped straight up off of the chair, landed on her feet, hissed and ran off. I felt bad for her as she was so relaxed and had not a care in the world.

How's Fader doing these days?

What, old Darth?

iC7aUuD.jpg

We'll need FULL details, please. In your own time.

Seeing as you’ve asked escargot, and it's a slow day in work - enjoy

Like a lot of the strangeness that happened in that house it happened at a weekend.

We were watching a late night film in bed, it was around 2am, and I needed to pop out and use the loo.

As soon as I opened the bedroom door I thought I could hear singing coming from downstairs, I leant over the bannisters and listened for several seconds, went back to the bedroom and gesticulated to the wife to come here while giving her the hushing sign.

We both leant over the bannisters and listened carefully, and both thought it was coming from the kitchen, we then had sort a whispering domestic about who was going to go down there and check it out

I always lose domestics with the wife (even whispering ones) so I crept halfway downstairs until I could see the kitchen door, it wasn’t fully closed, I could see that the light was off, but I could still hear the singing.

I walked to the bottom of the stairs and stood there for well over a minute, while trying to work up the courage to go in and turn the light on, when the singing suddenly stopped.

As I was standing there wondering what to do next, I saw the kitchen door move slightly, it’s hard to explain, it sort of started wobbling - that was it for me I was up those stairs and underneath the duvet in about 0.5 seconds flat.

Of all the incidents that happened in the 11 years we lived there, I think that one scared me the most

Seeing as you’ve asked escargot, and it's a slow day in work - enjoy

Like a lot of the strangeness that happened in that house it happened at a weekend.

We were watching a late night film in bed, it was around 2am, and I needed to pop out and use the loo.

As soon as I opened the bedroom door I thought I could hear singing coming from downstairs, I leant over the bannisters and listened for several seconds, went back to the bedroom and gesticulated to the wife to come here while giving her the hushing sign.

We both leant over the bannisters and listened carefully, and both thought it was coming from the kitchen, we then had sort a whispering domestic about who was going to go down there and check it out

I always lose domestics with the wife (even whispering ones) so I crept halfway downstairs until I could see the kitchen door, it wasn’t fully closed, I could see that the light was off, but I could still hear the singing.

I walked to the bottom of the stairs and stood there for well over a minute, while trying to work up the courage to go in and turn the light on, when the singing suddenly stopped.

As I was standing there wondering what to do next, I saw the kitchen door move slightly, it’s hard to explain, it sort of started wobbling - that was it for me I was up those stairs and underneath the duvet in about 0.5 seconds flat.

Of all the incidents that happened in the 11 years we lived there, I think that one scared me the most

Fabulous, thank you! More please!

There's a ghost at my work which tries to scare me sometimes. Some colleagues have heard singing, ghosts do that a lot!

There's a ghost at my work which tries to scare me sometimes. Some colleagues have heard singing, ghosts do that a lot!

It was a strange house escargot

It’s odd, but sometimes when things happened, you’d think fu*k that and be scared witless, but at other times you’d think oh well never mind, don’t bother me - it sort of came with a feeling if that makes sense.

One Sunday morning (again this happened at a weekend) my two girls ( they’re teenagers now but were young at the time) were mucking around with a recorder – you know the instrument that kids play in school, and when they had finished, they put the recorder back in it’s case and left it on top of the fruit bowl on the kitchen table.

Come Sunday night around 11pm I’m watching a film in the living room alone, as everyone else was tucked up asleep, when I heard 3 short blasts of the bloody thing coming from the kitchen – there was no tune, just 3 short blasts that lasted approx. 2 seconds per blast.

It took me a few seconds to get my head around what I’d just heard, and honestly I didn’t feel a thing, I got off the sofa marched into the kitchen and turned on the light – there was nothing there of course, and the recorder and it’s case were still on top of the fruit bowl.

I didn’t imagine it, I knew that I had heard it, but I thought so what, that don’t worry me.

I then opened and stood by back door and had a fag without a care in the world, on other occasions when something happened, I’d be bricking it.

It came with a feeling you see, very odd.

It was a strange house escargot

It’s odd, but sometimes when things happened, you’d think fu*k that and be scared witless, but at other times you’d think oh well never mind don’t bother me - it sort of came with a feeling if that makes sense.

One Sunday morning (again happened at a weekend) my two girls ( they’re teenagers now but were young at the time) were mucking around with a recorder – you know the instrument that kids play in school, and when they had finished, they put the recorder back in it’s case and left it on top of the fruit bowl on the kitchen table.

Come Sunday night around 11pm I’m watching a film in the living room alone, as everyone else was tucked up asleep, when I heard 3 short blasts of the bloody thing coming from the kitchen – there was no tune, just 3 short blasts that lasted approx. 2 seconds per blast.

It took me a few seconds to get my head around what I’d just heard, and honestly I didn’t feel a thing, I got off the sofa marched into the kitchen and turned on the light – there was nothing there of course, and the recorder and it’s case were still on top of the fruit bowl.

I didn’t imagine it, I knew that I had heard it, but I thought so what, that don’t worry me.

I then opened and stood by back door and had a fag without a care in the world, on other occasions when something happened, I’d be bricking it.

It came with a feeling you see, very odd.

Recently I was walking from my home to the supermarket up through a Main Street and passed a path branching off from it.The path leads up to a park so not unusual to see dog walkers going that way.As I looked down it I saw a girl of about 16 and a boy of roughly the same age both standing facing forwards,arms slightly out from their bodies.They were so still,side by side but a couple of metres apart.I stopped and looked at them and they remained like that for a while,facing away from me,as though they were blocking the path from the other direction.I was uncomfortable and walked on but I still wonder what that was all about.Thoughts?

Recently I was walking from my home to the supermarket up through a Main Street and passed a path branching off from it.The path leads up to a park so not unusual to see dog walkers going that way.As I looked down it I saw a girl of about 16 and a boy of roughly the same age both standing facing forwards,arms slightly out from their bodies.They were so still,side by side but a couple of metres apart.I stopped and looked at them and they remained like that for a while,facing away from me,as though they were blocking the path from the other direction.I was uncomfortable and walked on but I still wonder what that was all about.Thoughts?
Kids these days, eh? Mobile phones in hand?

Maybe waiting for a mate to come around the corner so they could step together and block his/her path? You know, in a 'friendly, you're not getting through here' way? Or not so friendly, as the case may be...

One of my family was having a morning shower in their flat a couple of days ago, when their bathroom (which has no windows) was plunged into total darkness, accompanied by the sound of breaking glass.

They managed to turn the shower off, and cautiously begin walking blindly across a presumably glass-strewn floor, and managed to get the locked bathroom door open to escape.

Accompanied by their flatmate (and armed by the light of their mobile phones) a careful search of the wet bathroom floor took place, which found....nothing.

Attempts to use the pullcord to try turning on the light again were useless, and then they discovered the entire missing broken lightbulb...in the toilet/WC.

It had somehow managed to detatch itself from the ceiling light-fitting, and fly in a slight graceful arc right into the loo.

The light-fitting is a bayonet style, so there is a bit of sprung tension to maintain electrical connection, and lightbulbs are quite aerodynamically-shaped, but it was quite a weird bid for bulb freedom.

One of my family was having a morning shower in their flat a couple of days ago, when their bathroom (which has no windows) was plunged into total darkness, accompanied by the sound of breaking glass.

They managed to turn the shower off, and cautiously begin walking blindly across a presumably glass-strewn floor, and managed to get the locked bathroom door open to escape.

Accompanied by their flatmate (and armed by the light of their mobile phones) a careful search of the wet bathroom floor took place, which found....nothing.

Attempts to use the pullcord to try turning on the light again were useless, and then they discovered the entire missing broken lightbulb...in the toilet/WC.

It had somehow managed to detatch itself from the ceiling light-fitting, and fly in a slight graceful arc right into the loo.

The light-fitting is a bayonet style, so there is a bit of sprung tension to maintain electrical connection, and lightbulbs are quite aerodynamically-shaped, but it was quite a weird bid for bulb freedom.
That’s really weird,I’ve had an experience where discussing a deceased family member over dinner,the light directly above came loose and smashed on the dining table.This happened more than once.Your story is even weirder though,probably for the best nobody got cut feet :)

Sounds like they were waiting to be raptured.

Back