• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

They're slow and easy to kill
And fictional, which is a major plus-point when it comes to killing them.

In other news: there's a twee Sunday evening tv programme running on ITV just now (UK forum members will probably know exactly what level of horrific feel-good mediocrity is beamed across the isles at this time of the week). It's a new prog called "What Would Your Kid Do?", which is a weird sociological experimentation in truth-or-consequences morality crossed with parental child-shaming.

But what I find hugely-strange about the programme is that the studio audience, as well as being conventionally located in front of the viewer (in the mid-ground between the victims and the remote viewer)....is ALSO located *behind* the presenter/victims in the middle.

Looking back towards the viewers. And it feels really strange to have Them staring out of the tv screen, at Us. Disproportionately odd. And all under a strange purple-blue light....

I cannot remember >ever< having noticed a tv audience looking back at me, out from my screen. I know they aren't really seeing me. But they are.

Recently I was walking from my home to the supermarket up through a Main Street and passed a path branching off from it.The path leads up to a park so not unusual to see dog walkers going that way.As I looked down it I saw a girl of about 16 and a boy of roughly the same age both standing facing forwards,arms slightly out from their bodies.They were so still,side by side but a couple of metres apart.I stopped and looked at them and they remained like that for a while,facing away from me,as though they were blocking the path from the other direction.I was uncomfortable and walked on but I still wonder what that was all about.Thoughts?

Drugs most likely. Synthetics can "zombify" people.

Just a quick one about the things that happened in my old house. There’s not many stories left to tell to be honest, and the below was the first thing to happen there for about 2 years

Several years back, it was around this time of year, I was sitting at the kitchen table helping my eldest Daughter with her homework, my youngest Daughter was in the living room watching TV, and the missus was upstairs with my 6 month old son.

A sudden noise made us both look up from the laptop, and look in the same corner of the kitchen to where my Sons car seat/carry seat was, (Car seats / carry seats for Children that age are often slightly boat shaped)

The thing was rocking all of it’s own accord, it put me in mind of the Daniel Ratcliffe women in black rocking chair scene, (although it wasn’t rocking as violently as in the film)

My Daughter looked quizzingly at me, and I said that the cat must have been in it and caused it to rock as he jumped out, although that wasn’t possible, as over my Daughters shoulder through the kitchen window, I could see the cat sitting cleaning himself on top of the Garden shed.

I never did get to the bottom of what caused the rocking to happen, so I put it down to just another weird happening in that house.

Walking to the bus stop in a small Somerset market town early this evening, I met a lady with a bird. He's called Jasper and is a juvenile Harris's Hawk.

I explained to my niece, who was a bit astonished, that this kind of thing seems to happen to me a lot and I'm very lucky to have interesting random encounters! She kindly took the photo for me. (Jasper was on his way home from a training flight over nearby open common land)

JasperHH.jpg

working all weekend on my juke joint in a builders yard, there was an upright pallet i was considering taking ownership of by the entrance gate, on looking it over i saw a large blue bottle type fly stood on it, iridescent green-blue in the usual style ... it didnt move, and on closer examination i saw that the body was squashed completely flat, although it was standing on its legs which seemed to remain intact as did wings ... body was as thin as a piece of paper and almost in a plane with wings ... i looked at it from a few angles to determine if it was a visual effect (bright sunny day) but it definitely was completely flattened ... as i was mulling over whether the gate swinging into it couldve somehow impacted the body but not the legs, it took a few steps forward, then flew away !

My job depends on my being in the right place at the right time many times a day. Yesterday, when the clocks went forward, I forgot all about changing the time on my work watch and went through the entire shift an hour behind, but still did everything right. Dunno how I managed that!

Something very odd has just happened.

I’m just waiting for the missus to come back from the shops and we are taking my son to watch Leyton orient play ( home to Halifax )

I heard my youngest daughter shout from upstairs “come on you oooooooo’s” I shouted back “ that’s the sprit love” when I remembered she’s not here.

She had a sleepover last night and won’t be back until tonight - there’s only me and my son in the house.

I must be hearing things. Weird

I am currently reading The Trickster & The Paranormal by George P Hansen. I was reading about some saints and their seemingly insane behaviour. I recalled reading of Symeon of Emesa dragging a dead dog around with him, tied to his waist. Today I am reading the current issue of FT and Classical Corner, where I read of the very same man and his dead dog dragging antics.

This happened last week -

Last year Techy and I went cycling in Milton Keynes and visited the famous Peace Pagoda and Buddhist temple. We were given a laminated information card, a little smaller than a postcard.

Last week I found it at home while feverishly searching for something at the last minute before going to work, as you do.

I thought 'Oooh there's that card! I'll put it out for Techy to see!' and being in a rush, I flung it at his end of the sofa while crossing the room to leave.

It landed on the table next to the sofa, standing up behind a deodorant he'd left there. Perfectly placed! I was highly amused but was in too much of a hurry to stop and take a photo.

When Techy came home he saw it and thought 'Wonder why that's there?' and assumed I'd placed it carefully.

What IS the universe telling us?

Last edited:
I was down in Devon this weekend, and I took my dog with me. She's coming into season, which makes her even more hair-trigger than usual (and usually it's like walking Satan, she's politely called 'feisty'. Less politely, 'very bitey') so I had her on a short lead as we went for a walk down by the Quay in Exeter.

Dog has been doing her standing, staring, growling randomly thing. All of a sudden she saw a woman walking towards us down an alleyway, whereupon she dropped her ears, wagged her tail and generally started behaving as though someone she knew well and liked (which is about three people in the world, I am one) was coming. The woman bent down and fussed her, without losing any fingers, dog was effusive and affectionate. Again, as though it was someone she knew very well. We'd never seen this lady before, ever. Exchanged a few pleasantries about dogs, and we all went on our way.

Highly unusual behaviour, from my terrier!tealblanket.jpg

Some weeks ago I decided it was time to get a new job. After having applied for various roles, and having several interviews, I had been offered a position but the start date was not confirmed yet, so I stopped looking while I waited for a confirmed date.
Well, after a couple of weeks, and having had a couple of phone calls with the hiring company, they advised that they had an issue with management currently and the start date wouldn't be confirmed for some weeks, and was likely to be some months away.
I was a little miffed at this as I had ceased my job search and probably missed several positions I could have applied for.
Anyway, undaunted I went back to the search.
Friday morning (March 29th) I saw a role advertised which was very local to me (just a 5 minute walk away actually) but the job description was a little vague, "Branch Assistant"....."should have some admin experience, some warehouse experience, should be a driver...".
So I speculatively sent my CV off, not expecting much, and turned off my PC, got in my van, and drove to my current job for my 12.30 start.
When I got to work I was about to turn off my phone when it began to ring. It was the business director of the company and he wanted to see me straight away as he was very impressed with my CV.
Well, as I was just starting my shift I arranged to meet him the following Wednesday.
When I got the interview (which he decided to do in a local coffee shop) there was another chap with him whom I didn't recognise but he looked straight at me and said "I know you...."
Turned out he was a mate of mine when we were both 15/16 (I'm now 52) and we hadn't seen eachother since then as I moved out of the area.
It was actually a remarkable set of circumstances (coincidences?) which led to him being working for that company, me sending them my CV, and him seeing it and recognising my name.
I am starting my new job with them in a few weeks and they are all very enthusiastic over me joining them too.

That's a great coincidence and a good outcome to your job search Trevp666! I hope you really enjoy it!

Sollywos x

Driving past fields in Cleveleys this morning I saw something flapping around,just sort of flying up and down in circles.The wings were angular and oddly shaped like bat wings.This was broad daylight in the middle of the day so I’m surprised there was a bat flying around.It had a sort of long body too.

On the subject of bird spotting, and with no other relevant whatsoever, I'd like to interject with this interesting fact:

The bird currently known as the 'whitear' used be called the 'whitearse' because that's what you could see as it flew overhead. However, in Victorian times the name was changed to prevent offence.

Heard that on R4 yesterday.

So they literally went for the other end of the bird? Was 'whitetail' spoken for?

Not unless there were flying Australian spiders in Victorian times!

'Tail' and 'arse' are close in meaning so you'd think that'd be the natural choice. Maybe 'ear' was chosen because ears are anatomically distant from arses?

This morning I was walking rapidly by a sunny window and realized that I had seen a white cat crossing behind me. Absolutely saw the head, feet tail. I don't have a cat and it was chilly early morning and all windows and doors are closed. Turned and realized that I saw bright sunlight glancing off an item on the floor near it. It's amazing how the brain tries to interpret what it can't grasp.

I aren't sure if this should go in here or the experiences whilst drunk thread. Had been to a party when I was 17 in a village hall about 8 miles away. It was someones 18th and the theme was 'pimps and prostitutes' (cringing hell!) Anyway someone had rang a taxi at the end of the night & my boyfriend and I had got dropped off on a country lane about 3 or 4 miles from the village where I lived. My shoes were hurting me so I took them off and start walking barefoot down this country lane dressed as a prostitute with my boyfriend in his pimp suit LOL. Checked the time and it was 2am and I remember us saying we can get to the village in about 45 mins if we are quick. I remember looking at the ground and then looking up and we are approaching the entrance to a farm in the main village, it should have taken us ages . Looked at the time and it was only 2.05am. We had walked 3.5 miles in about 5 minutes. That was a little odd I must admit, also the fact that my feet should have been really sore walking on roads barefoot but they weren't.
If I really looked into it we could have been super drunk and got the time wrong or anything really. I'm nearly 30 now and still have the same boyfriend & we often puzzle and laugh in equal measures about that night.

This happened last week -

Last year Techy and I went cycling in Milton Keynes and visited the famous Peace Pagoda and Buddhist temple. We were given a laminated information card, a little smaller than a postcard.

Last week I found it at home while feverishly searching for something at the last minute before going to work, as you do.

I thought 'Oooh there's that card! I'll put it out for Techy to see!' and being in a rush, I flung it at his end of the sofa while crossing the room to leave.

It landed on the table next to the sofa, standing up behind a deodorant he'd left there. Perfectly placed! I was highly amused but was in too much of a hurry to stop and take a photo.

When Techy came home he saw it and thought 'Wonder why that's there?' and assumed I'd placed it carefully.

What IS the universe telling us?

I had something similar recently. Pulling the black plastic cap off a new can of shaving foam, it flew off, ricocheted round the very small bathroom, and promptly disappeared. Looked everywhere, down the toilet, behind the basin, in the cupboard, everywhere. It had dematerialised completely. Ranting and raving about the chuffin' cap fairies I left it. It was only a couple of days later that a can of deodorant on the floor next to the cupboard, had two black caps when I picked it up. Yep the missing cap had flown neatly onto the deodorant cap which was slightly smaller. Try as I might I couldn't recreate the trick.

Back