• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Wé Gárdena in géardagum þéodcyninga þrym gefrúnon hú ðá æþelingas ellen fremedon.

maximus otter
I'm especially fond (in English) of;

"...the breastplates clanged,
war-gear of men; their weapons stacked,
spears of the seafarers stood together,
gray-tipped ash: that iron band
was worthily weaponed!"

Proper steel is gray, not chrome shiny like in the movies.

It's been very warm and sunny here in the wilds of North Yorkshire. I had idly thought about trying to find a pair of sunglasses, but had lacked sufficient arsedness to start turning out drawers and bags.

On Friday night I was sitting in bed reading (why, yes, the Fortean Times, as you ask!) and a large rucksack fell from the top of my wardrobe right in front of me. I am proud to announce that I didn't even jump, I just said 'that was annoying', left the bag where it was and went to sleep.

Next morning on getting up, what should I find had fallen out of the bag onto the floor beside my bed, but a pair of sunglasses... and yes, I did say 'thank you'.

It's been very warm and sunny here in the wilds of North Yorkshire. I had idly thought about trying to find a pair of sunglasses, but had lacked sufficient arsedness to start turning out drawers and bags.

On Friday night I was sitting in bed reading (why, yes, the Fortean Times, as you ask!) and a large rucksack fell from the top of my wardrobe right in front of me. I am proud to announce that I didn't even jump, I just said 'that was annoying', left the bag where it was and went to sleep.

Next morning on getting up, what should I find had fallen out of the bag onto the floor beside my bed, but a pair of sunglasses... and yes, I did say 'thank you'.
I love this one.

Several days ago I was victim of two optical illusions at my night shift work.

The sky was filled with homogeneous clouds. The part where the Moon was showed some texture, and refraction of light was showing a bright, elongated, irregular spot. Having watched about a thousand too many science fiction movies more than any sane person should have, for a long second, maybe more, I was horrified with the thought that the Moon had, somehow, exploded.

Later in the night, it started to rain strongly. I was with the lights off, to be able to see properly the darker environment outside. So, I look at the refrigerator and there is water running over it--not; the shadow of the water, running over the glass window, lit by the public illumination, caused the illusion.

Nothing paranormal I'm afraid, but it was eerie how real both things looked.

Ugh all the stories of crickets and spiders makes my skin crawl , reminds me of when I had a dream of eating biscuits and I woke up and it was an EFFING SPIDER in my mouth, I shit you not. God I feel sick everytime I think about it hahaha .
One down, six to go.
So spiders taste like biscuits, got it.
Squashed-fly biscuits, presumably.

Easy for you to say.
Very easy to say! Unlike modern English, Old English is very predictable and easy to pronounce if you know a few rules. ;o) But I was really lucky enough to spend three years of my life learning that at uni, as well as Old Norse, which is of course, a brilliant life skill I have used for practically 30 seconds of my subsequent life. But was fun.

I piss off Viking and Anglo Saxon re-enactors all the time by correcting their pronunciations of their own names...

Ugh all the stories of crickets and spiders makes my skin crawl , reminds me of when I had a dream of eating biscuits and I woke up and it was an EFFING SPIDER in my mouth, I shit you not. God I feel sick everytime I think about it hahaha .
Once, when camping, I had this vivid dream there was a toad on my head and I grabbed it (still asleep) and chucked it across the tent. The next morning there was, indeed, a toad in the tent (and live - he hadn't croaked. Shall I get my coat?)

What got me was, how did I know, when asleep and in the dark, that it was a toad not a frog?

The dog was right next to me too and he never ate it.

Once, when camping, I had this vivid dream there was a toad on my head and I grabbed it (still asleep) and chucked it across the tent. The next morning there was, indeed, a toad in the tent (and live - he hadn't croaked. Shall I get my coat?)

What got me was, how did I know, when asleep and in the dark, that it was a toad not a frog?

Well it had to be one or t'other. Lucky guess.

Out walking the other week I found this piece of rope with both ends embedded in a tree trunk. It looked quite new and was stuck firmly as I gave it a pull and it wouldn't budge. Later, I saw a piece of black plastic tape about 3/4" wide similarly stuck in another tree but didn't take a photo of that. Well it is 'Minor Strangeness', after all.

Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 19.16.50jpeg.jpg Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 19.17.05jpeg.jpg

Not sure if there's another thread for this, but it is only minor strangeness and coincidence. I just spoke to a woman that I worked with 15-17 years ago and hadn't run into since I left that workplace. I and someone else (blasted if I can remember who), just within the last week had mentioned her as a common acquaintance. I probably would have had to rack my brain for a couple of extra seconds to figure out who she is if I hadn't been talking of her recently.

Very easy to say! Unlike modern English, Old English is very predictable and easy to pronounce if you know a few rules. ;o) But I was really lucky enough to spend three years of my life learning that at uni, as well as Old Norse, which is of course, a brilliant life skill I have used for practically 30 seconds of my subsequent life. But was fun.

I piss off Viking and Anglo Saxon re-enactors all the time by correcting their pronunciations of their own names...

I also studied Anglo Saxon although no Old Norse. That stuff is great to chant and I sincerely hope that we're actually pronouncing it the way it was. I'm afraid I spent a lot of my time in class making up an A-S tourist language guide which has since disappeared ("Please give me two horns of mead." "Which way us the whale-road?")

Out walking the other week I found this piece of rope with both ends embedded in a tree trunk. It looked quite new and was stuck firmly as I gave it a pull and it wouldn't budge. Later, I saw a piece of black plastic tape about 3/4" wide similarly stuck in another tree but didn't take a photo of that. Well it is 'Minor Strangeness', after all.

View attachment 16526 View attachment 16527
I can help you here...I built a tree-house for the Coalettes in one of our apple trees. I made the basic platform from round fence poles square-lashed (well 'Japanese' square-lashed) to the three main members of the tree. When I took it down about 6 years later, the original square lashing had been enveloped almost completely by the bark of the tree, a response to the tree's growth and the rope's restriction on it. I got all the rope out OK and like the above it was that blue stuff, which ages far more slowly than you might think. So in your example, if the rope was not exposed to much direct sunlight, a decade would be enough to produce what you've got there.

Ugh I'm so squeamish about this kind of thing. This creeps me out more than ghosty weirdness !

The rope story reminded me of something that happened to me & my son on a walk in the summer. We live near the site of an old motte and bailey castle (nothing is there now just the big hill) we found a cross made with sticks and rope just lying on the ground. Probably a buried pet or something but we were still like "what on earth?"
Another time we were walking in the woods behind it & some people had obviously had a camp fire or something the night before or a couple of days before idk. It was completely put out anyway no smoke at all just ashes. We were there for about 30 mins & my son was climbing trees & wandering about just chatting. After a while we started to smell smoke. The fire had started smoking up again. Dont know why it randomly started.

After a while we started to smell smoke. The fire had started smoking up again. Dont know why it randomly started.

There might have been some smouldering embers under the ash. You just can't trust fires to be out!

Reminds me of the news story about the disposable barbecue taken into a tent after it was supposedly extinguished, but it wasn't, and someone died of carbon dioxide poisoning.

There might have been some smouldering embers under the ash. You just can't trust fires to be out!

Reminds me of the news story about the disposable barbecue taken into a tent after it was supposedly extinguished, but it wasn't, and someone died of carbon dioxide poisoning.
Just a slight correction, @escargot - carbon monoxide poisoning

I've been getting little electric shocks off all the metal appliances in my kitchen, all day today (including the stainless steel sink).
I can only assume it is static electricity somehow related to the brand new acrylic jumper I'm wearing?
Are you on antibiotics?

No antibiotics, but I'm on thyroid medicine, betablockers and 'losartan'(which I believe is mainly potassium), for blood pressure.

Back