• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

That would be something else if I could get a triple unsolvable .. no idea why FT has included the Cromer Jesus Stone yet, perhaps because it's 'a bit 90's' with Jesus faces being found on stuff ? .. we've still got it anyway for any sceptic if they wanted to examine it for signs of physical tampering or photoshop or something. It's the tits. (sorry Jesus)

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/face-o...-on-cromer-beach-or-is-it-karl-marx-1-4594649

I'd call it the hipster pebble, did you get your penny back too?

That would be something else if I could get a triple unsolvable .. no idea why FT has included the Cromer Jesus Stone yet, perhaps because it's 'a bit 90's' with Jesus faces being found on stuff ? .. we've still got it anyway for any sceptic if they wanted to examine it for signs of physical tampering or photoshop or something. It's the tits. (sorry Jesus)

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/face-o...-on-cromer-beach-or-is-it-karl-marx-1-4594649
Perhaps it hasn't been in FT yet because it's only Karl. Lol

Looking at it again, I think it resembles a bearded Jim Carey.

Jim Carey with a beard - Bing image search.

What I see is a dog inside a bigger dog's nose. This dog is thinking about another dog which you can see in the thought bubble superimposed on his brown ear. This imagined canine alternates between being a poodle with pom pom ears and a soppy mongrel with tongue sticking out!

No doubt if I thought more about GOD instead of DOG I'd see Jesus ... but nah having trouble bringing that one into focus! ;)

Sollywos x

I also studied Anglo Saxon although no Old Norse. That stuff is great to chant and I sincerely hope that we're actually pronouncing it the way it was. I'm afraid I spent a lot of my time in class making up an A-S tourist language guide which has since disappeared ("Please give me two horns of mead." "Which way us the whale-road?")
My laptop's been away at the mender's. I've so missed this place!

Now you've given me a new ear worm:

"Oh I do like to be beside the whale-road...."

When I saw it I thought it was Charles Manson.

Behold! .. the mildly interesting until something more interesting happens cups ..

View attachment 17180

View attachment 17181

.. out of focus pic so the writing reads 'ATHENA Hotelware BS3034 (egg cup shaped logo) PRC'
View attachment 17182
I used to get glasses stuck together, i used to just fill them up with water and shove em to one side and forget about them for a while, dont try to pull it out, tip it forward like you are closing a round door after

Was trying to finish off at Work and sneak home when the fire alarm went off - the second time that day and the fourth time in a week. Building was evacuated and there was much grumbling outside about what was almost certainly another false-alarm. After an hour the Fire Brigade turned up and piled in the Entrance, a member of Central Estates went in through a side door. 20 minutes later everyone came out and we were let back in.
According to a garbled account I got before leaving, the triggered fire alarm sensor was located in the Plant Room in the sub-basement. But the sensor couldn't be checked because it was behind a false wall with a door (locked), built by asbestos-removing Contractors. My Building Officer had not been trusted with a copy of the door key, that was held by the University Central Estates elewhere in London. When Estates did not arrive with the key, the Building Officer called the Fire Brigade with the aim of knocking a hole through the wall. They were reluctant to do this as it could well have been asbestos dust that triggered the sensor. As it happened the guy with the key turned up at that moment and the door was unlocked. They then found some-one already inside the whole time.
Think words will be said.

I used to get glasses stuck together, i used to just fill them up with water and shove em to one side and forget about them for a while, dont try to pull it out, tip it forward like you are closing a round door after
The reflective stuff is called 'glaze' which was powdered glass applied in a liquid medium, dried and then 'fired' in a kiln. As glass is a slowly flowing liquid, simply inverting the cups will cause the glass to move in a different direction, eventually the surface glass will deform, letting gravity pull the other cup away. They'll seperate naturally.

plutronus

Not sure if this belongs here, in the co-incidence thread or in the dream thread, but I found this one first...

I dreamed about Rolf Harris last night. Not a major dream, just that he was there and I was vaguely worried about his presence, although it wasn't integral to the dream.

This morning, noodling about on Reddit, and his name comes up. Haven't seen him mentioned much since he was jailed, so. Um. Yes.

Minor and not all that strange. As you were.

Er, no it wouldn't, because glass isn't a liquid. Explanation here:
Glass is no liquid

It says it would take longer than the universe has existed for glass to appear melted at room temperature. So it's an urban myth.

The Iain Banks' fantasy novel "Walking on Glass" , which I read back in the 80s, perpetuated this myth. Some of the reviews pointed out that glass does not flow and Iain Banks had to concede that his otherwise excellent novel was constructed around a fallacy.

Not sure if this belongs here, in the co-incidence thread or in the dream thread, but I found this one first...

I dreamed about Rolf Harris last night. Not a major dream, just that he was there and I was vaguely worried about his presence, although it wasn't integral to the dream.

This morning, noodling about on Reddit, and his name comes up. Haven't seen him mentioned much since he was jailed, so. Um. Yes.

Minor and not all that strange. As you were.
Carl Jung calls meaningful coincidences synchronicity. My one thumb rule if to wait for two repetitions (in your case, another one) to call it so; of course, my eyebrow raises when just one happens, specially if the stuff appears in a dream before seeing it next day (you possibly picked it the same way other people did so; this could be the collective unconscious or not).

Regarding not so minor strangeness, viewed by the lens of repetition--in this case, massive--is a shared dream about being trapped inside giant shopping malls. I posted about two discussions on this in another forum; I will include here an updated version of a post I made in another forum:
✂ ----------- cut here
Warning, the link below is to a site known for being very unsafe for work, the infamous 4chan:

Anyone else have recurring dreams of visiting a giant Mall World?
https://web.archive.org/web/20190522171809/https://archive.4plebs.org/x/thread/22677136

A thread in another forum is mentioned at the opening post (you need tick the two boxes and click continue, if you agree with the terms; registration is not required):
https://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message3136315/pg1
This thread cannot be archived, it is excluded from Wayback Machine.

The 4chan thread (and the other one, which I didn’t read yet) is about people dreaming they are inside giant, endless malls. The interesting part is that many posters tell of decaying stores, being trapped inside them without no way to exit, and the outside world being in a post-apocalyptic state. A rare good thread; Jungian concepts are being mentioned.

Er, no it wouldn't, because glass isn't a liquid. Explanation here:
Glass is no liquid

It says it would take longer than the universe has existed for glass to appear melted at room temperature. So it's an urban myth.

Perhaps different types of glass flow at different rates?

A few years ago, I had performed an engineering contract for the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena California. My contract was unrelated to this particular event, but I hob-knobed with a couple of the fellows there who told me the following story of their experience. It is hearsay, but these fellows were material scientists and were the responsible parties. Durring the Apollo Missions a window 'glass' was engineered for one of the space-vehicles that was not used when the missions were cancelled. The window was placed into storage on one side inside a frame designed to support it. Over the years the glass 'flowed' downward causing the bottom dimension to swell to the extent that it no longer met mechanical specification...the window was thicker at the bottom and thinner at the top. They told me that glass is a viscous substance. One thing I've seen through the years is in a room full of scientific experts, there is always an intellectual fight about who's right and who is wrong about a 'fact'.

In any case, the two cups, unless the surfaces have been forcibly wedged together by, say, "hands", they will separate, because as I understand things, glass does flow.

plutronus

Perhaps different types of glass flow at different rates?

A few years ago, I had performed an engineering contract for the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena California. My contract was unrelated to this particular event, but I hob-knobed with a couple of the fellows there who told me the following story of their experience. It is hearsay, but these fellows were material scientists and were the responsible parties. Durring the Apollo Missions a window 'glass' was engineered for one of the space-vehicles that was not used when the missions were cancelled. The window was placed into storage on one side inside a frame designed to support it. Over the years the glass 'flowed' downward causing the bottom dimension to swell to the extent that it no longer met mechanical specification...the window was thicker at the bottom and thinner at the top. They told me that glass is a viscous substance. One thing I've seen through the years is in a room full of scientific experts, there is always an intellectual fight about who's right and who is wrong about a 'fact'.

In any case, the two cups, unless the surfaces have been forcibly wedged together by, say, "hands", they will separate, because as I understand things, glass does flow.

plutronus
That space vehicle component - was it actually glass or some kind of polymer (i.e. polycarbonate)?

When my mum and dad put double glazing in our old house, the men who took the old window out of what had been my bedroom pointed out how much thicker the glass was at the bottom of the frame than the top, and how it had a 'fault' in it that made objects seen through the window appear to 'wobble'.

The glass was, apparently, 'war time glass' installed after windows had been blown out following a bomb strike a mile away. So it had been in place for sixty odd years by the time the window was replaced. Now, whether 'war time glass' was made to a lower standard than normal glass, I don't know, but it was definitely several millimetres difference in thickness, top to bottom.

I would like to see some evidence to support the claims above that (types of) glass can flow as, all the seemingly authoritative websites out there describe glass flowing as a debunked myth.

When my mum and dad put double glazing in our old house, the men who took the old window out of what had been my bedroom pointed out how much thicker the glass was at the bottom of the frame than the top, and how it had a 'fault' in it that made objects seen through the window appear to 'wobble'.

The glass was, apparently, 'war time glass' installed after windows had been blown out following a bomb strike a mile away. So it had been in place for sixty odd years by the time the window was replaced. Now, whether 'war time glass' was made to a lower standard than normal glass, I don't know, but it was definitely several millimetres difference in thickness, top to bottom.
Glass used to be made with a centrifugal process, in a spinning disk; then this disk was cut to make panels. The external part tended to be thicker, and when assembled in frames, probably the thick part was installed at bottom--or not if the difference was too small to be noticed, which would not be the mysterious case of the flowing up glass panel.

Glass used to be made with a centrifugal process, in a spinning disk; then this disk was cut to make panels. The external part tended to be thicker, and when assembled in frames, probably the thick part was installed at bottom--or not if the difference was too small to be noticed, which would not be the mysterious case of the flowing up glass panel.
It's now made by floating molten glass on a bed of mercury, to ensure that it is consistently flat.

It's now made by floating molten glass on a bed of mercury, to ensure that it is consistently flat.
Interesting. I saw photos of sealed glass bottles with odd objects floating in mercury, to demonstrate its high density--bolts, stones.

Catseye said "the men who took the old window out of what had been my bedroom," so it may have been made with the old process.

I would like to see some evidence to support the claims above that (types of) glass can flow as, all the seemingly authoritative websites out there describe glass flowing as a debunked myth.

Yes, any "flow" effect will have been solely created in the glass's manufacture. But I suppose even scientists can believe the occasional urban myth, they're only human.

Somewhat on the topic of glass, I was sat in the chippy yesterday teatime. The glass door was opened inwards and looking through the glass in the door, through the window, and through the nearside window of my car outside, I saw quite clearly the reflection of a large rose bush with huge blooms on the offside car window. The bush was waving about in the breeze and could not be mistaken for anything else. It was too big to be a reflection of a TV set. The strange thing is that the chippy is on the corner of a side street of terrace properties with no front gardens, and a busy main road of commercial properties. The car was parked on the side street. Going out, I had a check round and there was no rose bush in sight. (fond of roses me) I can only imagine that the image was being reflected several times on this very sunny evening, the actual roses being somewhere completely out of sight. Minor strangeness indeed.

Back