• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I can usually tell (roughly) which way NSEW are just by a 'feeling'. However there was one place I used to drive to that threw me out for some reason. After looking at road maps to see where I was going wrong, I would think I'd got it sorted, only to have the same disorientation next time I went.
My current job caused me that sort of problem for a while. One particular place I have to visit seemed to be the wrong way round somehow. I'd somehow though tI was approaching a landmark from the opposite direction.

That rings a bell with me , saw something similar about 6 months back , the description is spot on walking my dog aroud 9pm the road turns sharp right , houses on both sides and a factory wall facing me , the thing came into view right to left in a dead sraight line and disappeared between the houses, it didn't match , bird, bat , or drone , and was silent

Wow! I was hoping that someone else might have seen the same thing. I haven't seen it again since (and we've driven that same stretch of road several times). Did you just see it the once? Interesting that the one you saw was going in the same direction, too. (i.e. right to left).

I can still picture it in my mind and it still puzzles me as to what it was.

My current job caused me that sort of problem for a while. One particular place I have to visit seemed to be the wrong way round somehow. I'd somehow though tI was approaching a landmark from the opposite direction.

Hmmm, I wonder why some places have this effect on us? And even then, only on some of us?

T'other day I was in the garden with Simbah the cat. It was about 15 minutes before Techy was due home.

I suddenly heard him call out 'Hello!' from the back door, as he does when he arrives home and realises I'm outside. Simbah also seemed to hear him because she jumped up and ran off apparently to greet him. I went too, and we both felt puzzled when he wasn't there!

He didn't arrive home for another 15/20 minutes. We both have a phone tracking app which bleeps when the other's just round the corner, so I'd felt surprised he'd been able to sneak up on me. He hadn't though.

So I dunno what we both mistook for Techy's voice, but it must've been a close match to fool the cat!
I had exactly the same thing happen years ago. It was a few minutes after 5:00. I was in the basement fooling around with a bike or something when the dog and I heard Ms Popper say "Hey" from the top of the stairs. I said Hi and that I'd be up in a minute. Then it was very quiet upstairs. We went up to find the house empty. Ms Popper arrived shortly after, having just walked home from work. I had very distinctly heard her normal greeting at the usual time. Weird. The dog did not run up to greet her, which seems odd now that I think about it, but he heard something.

Tempest63,

I don't know, I don't drink it.

But from my rip-roaring, hell raising days (he wishes), I would recommend Stoliknya. Aldi doesn't sell it.

INT21.

Just a silly one. I had to stop for fuel, cos it's a company car I should give mileage readings but i forgot. The women at the till asked for it I said "just put 8123, I forgot to take it". I get back in the car and the mileage reading is 8123!!!

Just a silly one. I had to stop for fuel, cos it's a company car I should give mileage readings but i forgot. The women at the till asked for it I said "just put 8123, I forgot to take it". I get back in the car and the mileage reading is 8123!!!
Your subconscious mind is looking out for you!

That rings a bell with me , saw something similar about 6 months back , the description is spot on walking my dog aroud 9pm the road turns sharp right , houses on both sides and a factory wall facing me , the thing came into view right to left in a dead sraight line and disappeared between the houses, it didn't match , bird, bat , or drone , and was silent
Hi , only saw it the once (so far) it was the straight flight that was most odd , but it was gone so fast I had no time to get a good look, although it was at a slight downward angle

I'm currently house sitting, no one else in the house, when I was walking down the hall this morning someone, a woman's, voice, spoke my name...

I bet you weren't scared at all! Hmm. Could you hear it like from an "external source" as opposed to a brain blip? I mean, you could tell the difference between a voice popping into your head and someone outside?

I bet you weren't scared at all! Hmm. Could you hear it like from an "external source" as opposed to a brain blip? I mean, you could tell the difference between a voice popping into your head and someone outside?

It sounded like it came from an external source, probably some sort of auditory hallucination...

Possibly an auditory hallucination, as suggested by GNC, But if it happens twice in the same spot, and a third 'odd' event also in the same place, one has to wonder.

INT21.

This is something I've mentioned before but I think it fits here so you're getting it again, punks.

Our house has 'hot spots' where the air is warm for no reason, one of which is over the cooker.

'Aha!' I hear you say, 'Scargy, you've left t'stove on again!'

However, the back rooms of my house were remodelled badly by the previous owners and I had it all put back. The cooker is now in a different place from where it originally would have been, and is a gas model, which wasn't connected to the mains gas supply for about 6 months while the work was being done.

The 'hot spot' used to catch me out before the cooker was hooked up because I'd think 'Oh wow, Techy has finally had the Gas Board in, what a lovely surprise!'
Wrong, the cooker was still non-functional and cold. The heat comes from just above it.

These days the cooker works. Several times a week I'll think I've left a ring or the oven on because I can feel warmth around it. This happens even when we've both been out all day and not cooked since tea the night before. I check and it's all cold, and I don't even think 'That's odd!' any more. It's just the house.

I'm so careful about the cooker that I paint a dot on each knob so I can see right away what position it's in, as is advised for partially-sighted people, and I can tell from across the room that it's all safe.

(Incidentally I am extra-diligent about turning the cooker off after being constantly exasperated by the ex's apparent carelessness about it. I believe now that he used to 'forget' to do it because he knew it upset me.
We had quite a few incidents, all down to him, and I'd be left to explain to the nice firemen why our house had nearly burned down. With everyone inside. Again.)

The whole 'things being backwards'...

Back in the day I used to write with a partner, we wrote TV scripts.

Sometimes, when we were trying to work out 'moves' for our characters, we would draw the layout of the place they were (our stuff was mostly domestic, so house-based). Our visions of the place we were writing about were ALWAYS mirror-imaged - so she'd envisage a living room with the door to the left and the sofa to the right of it and the TV in the left hand corner. I would draw it with the door to the right, the sofa on the left and the TV in the right hand corner.

We were both right handed too, so it was odd how my brain and hers would conjure images that were so close, but reversed.

This is something I've mentioned before but I think it fits here so you're getting it again, punks.

Our house has 'hot spots' where the air is warm for no reason, one of which is over the cooker.

'Aha!' I hear you say, 'Scargy, you've left t'stove on again!'

However, the back rooms of my house were remodelled badly by the previous owners and I had it all put back. The cooker is now in a different place from where it originally would have been, and is a gas model, which wasn't connected to the mains gas supply for about 6 months while the work was being done.

The 'hot spot' used to catch me out before the cooker was hooked up because I'd think 'Oh wow, Techy has finally had the Gas Board in, what a lovely surprise!'
Wrong, the cooker was still non-functional and cold. The heat comes from just above it.

These days the cooker works. Several times a week I'll think I've left a ring or the oven on because I can feel warmth around it. This happens even when we've both been out all day and not cooked since tea the night before. I check and it's all cold, and I don't even think 'That's odd!' any more. It's just the house.

I'm so careful about the cooker that I paint a dot on each knob so I can see right away what position it's in, as is advised for partially-sighted people, and I can tell from across the room that it's all safe.

(Incidentally I am extra-diligent about turning the cooker off after being constantly exasperated by the ex's apparent carelessness about it. I believe now that he used to 'forget' to do it because he knew it upset me.
We had quite a few incidents, all down to him, and I'd be left to explain to the nice firemen why our house had nearly burned down. With everyone inside. Again.)
I hate gas cookers I must admit- potentially very dangerous little blighters. Often when I visited my 80 odd year old parents, I would detect a very strong smell of gas in the house, and find a least one cooker gas ring switched on but not lit. How they had not blown up the house or gassed themselves I've no idea. Don't make 'em like that anymore. Many times in the job I had to attend the scene of explosions or fires in dwellings caused by leaking or not switched off rings on gas cookers. Scary stuff, and not the best appliance for vulnerable elderly people.

I'm currently house sitting, no one else in the house, when I was walking down the hall this morning someone, a woman's, voice, spoke my name...

I posted on another thread a little while ago the exact same thing happened to me. I was on a nightshift in a corridor and someone clearly said my name. It sounded like a youngish male and it was said to get my attention.

I posted on another thread a little while ago the exact same thing happened to me. I was on a nightshift in a corridor and someone clearly said my name. It sounded like a youngish male and it was said to get my attention.

We have a thread on this, maybe even two. Called 'Hearing Your Name Called' or summat.

I could have sworn I heard the Medic come in from work the other day whilst I was in the kitchen; heard the front door shut and the porch door open. When he didn't then appear in the kitchen to drop off his sandwich box, I went to check out of the study window and his car wasn't there. He didn't show up for another 15-20 minutes, which got him home at about the 'right' time.

I could have sworn I heard the Medic come in from work the other day whilst I was in the kitchen; heard the front door shut and the porch door open. When he didn't then appear in the kitchen to drop off his sandwich box, I went to check out of the study window and his car wasn't there. He didn't show up for another 15-20 minutes, which got him home at about the 'right' time.

Another of those false arrivals... we've had a couple of them reported here lately I think! :)

A little evening oddness, walking the hell hound through fields last night about 20:00. Beautiful quiet evening, Birds warbling, cows mooing, grass swishing etc.
Following a footpath through a field of tall grasses when I encountered a strong smell of curry, this distinct and rather pleasant smell was restricted to an area about 1 m square. and just about 5ft off the ground ( I jumped up and down a bit in the spirit of scientific enquiry).

any idea s, how can there be a localised smell of curry in the middle of fields, no one else in sight and judging by the grass, no one has been through for a couple of days, no rubbish dumped either.

Back