• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I would not argue with the shadow but I would expect a shadow to have to have something
to project onto, next time I see it I will try to make out if there are any higher clouds but
they would have to be very high above 30,000 ft.

Maybe it's some kind of 'Brocken Spectre' effect?

I'm hoping for a bit of minor strangeness shortly. If you have ever been to Southport a coastal resort in the UK you will be aware of Lord Street, what was the main shopping street in the town. Largely late Victorian buildings which probably stretch for half a mile or so. Walked up and down there many times. What I hadn't realised was that in the past Lord Street was raised up considerably to avoid the risk of flooding. What is fairly exciting for those who are interested in such things is that the original level is still to some extent intact, with the original shop fronts and apparently unsold stock still in the windows. The street is to be opened to the public in the future. I'll be first in the queue.

Maybe it's some kind of 'Brocken Spectre' effect?

I was wondering if it was something along those lines. Thinking about it last night and realising that when something seemingly odd has been observed accurate reporting is essential I thought to myself 'here's where I can help' as I have a clear picture in my mind. Then the more I thought about it the less certain I became of details that might be essential! If ever I see it again I'll take more notice.

So yes it was a clear sky where the planes were flying ... but how clear? Was there a slight milky haze to it? What type of clouds if any were about, how high and what sort? The two planes were following each other and they both had a clear line preceeding them. In my minds eye the lines were about 2 or 3 lenghts of the planes but other details have gone! So I can't be as much help as I thought. :(

Sorry about that but I'm glad it's come up on here as hopefully someone will come along with an explaination.

Sollywos x

Inner Fitbit phenom: My vote goes to muscle memory. The target of walking 10,000 steps became relevant to you, so your body paid attention and learned to sense when you'd reached the goal.

Yes 'muscle memory' is a clearer way of putting it than I did above. On the other hand Ermintruder hasn't stated that she gets the feeling every time it goes off so it would seem some other factor comes into play.

Sollywos x

Manchester has something similar though you are not allowed down, access is from the river
or was, fire service used to train down there on occasion.

I'm in Manchester right now. Not for long though.

lets get coffee ! im waiting for david lynch

hes @HOME ...

yeah @ home in LA

WP_20190704_15_00_18_Rich (3).jpg

Stand with your back to the south side of the cathedral hanging bridge is to the right of
cannon court.

On the other hand Ermintruder hasn't stated that she gets the feeling every time it goes off so it would seem some other factor comes into play.

Muscle memory....hmm. Methinks potential false corollary here. Muscles don't incrementally-count (as far as we know....)

This term refers to ability of periatrophic musculature to regain much of its original strength & bulk following sedentary life-phases in mammals, and the effect whereby animals can perform repeated accurate musculoskeletal movement (either consciously or as automotor adaptive reflexes)

ps I appear to have limited muscle memory. And unfortunately I seem to have been born with a cardiovasular arrangement, rather than what I'd call a system. Also, I'm still not female. Or a robot. Or a cow....or a female robot cow

Last edited:
This term refers to ability of periatrophic musculature to regain much of its original strength & bulk following sedentary life-phases in mammals, and the effect whereby animals can perform repeated accurate musculoskeletal movement (either consciously or as automotor adaptive reflexes)

Ah I see thanks for putting me right there :)

Sollywos x

I would not argue with the shadow but I would expect a shadow to have to have something
to project onto, next time I see it I will try to make out if there are any higher clouds but
they would have to be very high above 30,000 ft.

It wouldn't necessarily have to involve clearly visible clouds. Such a shadow could be visibly evident within a diffuse haze translucent enough to not be discriminable as a discrete cloud.

It wouldn't necessarily have to involve clearly visible clouds. Such a shadow could be visibly evident within a diffuse haze translucent enough to not be discriminable as a discrete cloud.

That's was why I was trying to bring to mind the level of haziness in the sky when I saw it. Not that I knew if low level haze was reflective but assumed it could be relevent. :)

Sollywos x

On Saturdays I usually meet my friend for coffee and we have a look round the charity shops together. Today every one I went into had something which I own. In one it was a doll, in another a few dresses and a suit, a bag and hat in third one, and small cabinet in the final one. It got a bit weird and I don't think my friend believed me in the end every time I said ' I have that'. I did have to go and check that I do still have all these things and I hadn't given them away my mistake. They are all here, so I guess someone with similar taste to me has had a clear out recently.

On Saturdays I usually meet my friend for coffee and we have a look round the charity shops together. Today every one I went into had something which I own. In one it was a doll, in another a few dresses and a suit, a bag and hat in third one, and small cabinet in the final one. It got a bit weird and I don't think my friend believed me in the end every time I said ' I have that'. I did have to go and check that I do still have all these things and I hadn't given them away my mistake. They are all here, so I guess someone with similar taste to me has had a clear out recently.
There are certain items that are imported very cheaply and the charity shops acquire them as unsold stock and also as donations.
So it's not unlikely that you'll see a few things that look familiar.
It's like remaindered book stores that used to be everywhere back in the 80s/90s. They had piles of the same books, presumably from the same source.

A few days ago I was listening to some music on my smartphone on random. I was listening to a song I normally skip and in the few seconds between the song and the last song I was thinking about another song. Guess what song played next? Right - the one I was thinking about. My playlist was on random with about 700 files in it.

My reason? The random option is not that random.
Not good enough? Maybe the song needs a few seconds to start and starts with very quiet sounds that may slip my consciousness.
Still not good enough? Okay! My damn earplugs are able to read my mind due to certain brainwaves being scanned and sent to some company that wants to mess with me. [/s]

Supposedly Nevill St that leads to Lord St but I would not mind a look.

http://www.otsnews.co.uk/streets-and-mystery-under-southport/
That picture was helpful — I was wondering by what process a city could have covered shop windows with dirt while the goods were still inside and stick a road on top. Untold heartbreak, bankruptcy and shopkeeper ire were the only outcomes I could imagine.
Shopkeeper: Hey! Where did all that dirt come from? I can't open my shop this morning!
City administrator: We've had to raise the street level. It's for the public good.
Shopkeeper: But my inventory is still down there! How will I get it out?
City administrator: Sorry, the public good is my job. Your goods are your own affair.

I have only 2 questions now: Why are we always told to go to Facebook for information and updates? And where can I get a glass of that yummy looking grog that is advertised next to the OT News story? :beer:

A few days ago I was listening to some music on my smartphone on random. I was listening to a song I normally skip and in the few seconds between the song and the last song I was thinking about another song. Guess what song played next? Right - the one I was thinking about. My playlist was on random with about 700 files in it.

My reason? The random option is not that random.
Not good enough? Maybe the song needs a few seconds to start and starts with very quiet sounds that may slip my consciousness.
Still not good enough? Okay! My damn earplugs are able to read my mind due to certain brainwaves being scanned and sent to some company that wants to mess with me. [/s]

Great! Now please explain how the satellite radio in my car has gotten so good at playing the song I've got in my head, cos it's starting to worry me. o_O

Great! Now please explain how the satellite radio in my car has gotten so good at playing the song I've got in my head, cos it's starting to worry me. o_O
Maybe Baader-Meinhof phenomenom?
"(...)Baader-Meinhof phenomenon, otherwise known as frequency illusion or recency illusion. This phenomenon occurs when the thing you've just noticed, experienced or been told about suddenly crops up constantly. It gives you the feeling that out of nowhere, pretty much everyone and their cousin are talking about the subject -- or that it is swiftly surrounding you. And you're not crazy; you are totally seeing it more. But the thing is, of course, that's because you're noticing it more (...)" (https://science.howstuffworks.com/life/inside-the-mind/human-brain/baader-meinhof-phenomenon.htm)

Or maybe bugs and cameras recording the times you sing out loud, whenever the song starts and sending those recordings to companies? /s

Maybe Baader-Meinhof phenomenom?
"(...)Baader-Meinhof phenomenon, otherwise known as frequency illusion or recency illusion. This phenomenon occurs when the thing you've just noticed, experienced or been told about suddenly crops up constantly. It gives you the feeling that out of nowhere, pretty much everyone and their cousin are talking about the subject -- or that it is swiftly surrounding you. And you're not crazy; you are totally seeing it more. But the thing is, of course, that's because you're noticing it more (...)" (https://science.howstuffworks.com/life/inside-the-mind/human-brain/baader-meinhof-phenomenon.htm)

Or maybe bugs and cameras recording the times you sing out loud, whenever the song starts and sending those recordings to companies? /s
As I thought. The name was inspired by the German terror group from the 70s and 80s.

As I thought. The name was inspired by the German terror group from the 70s and 80s.
I just read the rest of the article and it's rather funny that The Baader-Meinhof phenomenon got its name because of someone experiencing the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon... That way it could've easily become the striped cat with green eyes a left chipped ear and a missing tail being covered in blood phenomenon...

In keeping with both the thread subject and the recent posts about radios, I realise I should probably relate this little tale of something which happened when I was somewhere between 12 and 15 years old (cannot narrow it down more than that).

The house we lived in at the time, a bungalow, had an L-shaped hallway which 'curved' (for want of a better word) around my bedroom. In other words, as one walked along this hallway one would walk first along one inner wall of my room, and then along the other to its door.

Now. To set the scene, I had an alarm clock-radio which was positioned at the corner of these two inner walls.

On one particular occasion I came home from school and made my way along the hallway to my room, all as normal. As I turned the corner (and thus passed where my alarm clock-radio was, on the other side of the wall) a popular song of the time (I can't remember what it was now) popped into my head, but more specifically, it wasn't the beginning of the song, it was part-way in.

As I got to my room a few seconds later, song still playing in my head, I switched on the alarm clock-radio and was rather astonished to find that not only was it playing the song I was playing in my head, but the two songs were perfectly matched up... in other words it was as if I'd heard the song on the radio as I passed it in the hallway and now the two versions of the song - the one on the alarm clock-radio and the other in my head, were in perfect alignment.

This only happened one time, and there were no other radios playing in the house at the time.

Small and inconsequential I know, but it is what it is. :)

In keeping with both the thread subject and the recent posts about radios, I realise I should probably relate this little tale of something which happened when I was somewhere between 12 and 15 years old (cannot narrow it down more than that).

The house we lived in at the time, a bungalow, had an L-shaped hallway which 'curved' (for want of a better word) around my bedroom. In other words, as one walked along this hallway one would walk first along one inner wall of my room, and then along the other to its door.

Now. To set the scene, I had an alarm clock-radio which was positioned at the corner of these two inner walls.

On one particular occasion I came home from school and made my way along the hallway to my room, all as normal. As I turned the corner (and thus passed where my alarm clock-radio was, on the other side of the wall) a popular song of the time (I can't remember what it was now) popped into my head, but more specifically, it wasn't the beginning of the song, it was part-way in.

As I got to my room a few seconds later, song still playing in my head, I switched on the alarm clock-radio and was rather astonished to find that not only was it playing the song I was playing in my head, but the two songs were perfectly matched up... in other words it was as if I'd heard the song on the radio as I passed it in the hallway and now the two versions of the song - the one on the alarm clock-radio and the other in my head, were in perfect alignment.

This only happened one time, and there were no other radios playing in the house at the time.

Small and inconsequential I know, but it is what it is. :)
It's got AI that tuned into your brain.
It's The Matrix, see?

What about morphogenetic fields?

Someone was dying in a car crash while listening to the same channel you were about to turn on. The danger they were in caused part of their thoughts to find their way to you via a (or the?) morphogenetic field - sadly nothing helpful was transmitted, just what he was hearing. Those theories often prioritize kids as being more receptive, you were a kid.

I don't know much about that theory at all but it just crossed my mind while reading your experience. Maybe science defies theories like those but it's interesting to think about.

What about morphogenetic fields?

Someone was dying in a car crash while listening to the same channel you were about to turn on. The danger they were in caused part of their thoughts to find their way to you via a (or the?) morphogenetic field - sadly nothing helpful was transmitted, just what he was hearing. Those theories often prioritize kids as being more receptive, you were a kid.

I don't know much about that theory at all but it just crossed my mind while reading your experience. Maybe science defies theories like those but it's interesting to think about.

:wide:

:wide:

:eek:

Well that was a theory I wasn't expecting... !

Interesting, certainly. Very interesting. Thank you.

Doesn't explain, though, why I only started hearing the song as I passed the alarm clock-radio... I've always taken it to mean that somehow I picked up on what the radio was receiving, even though it wasn't on. But then again I could be wrong, that's just how I've always thought of it.

Back