• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

My daughter's phone has rung my phone on two separate occasions, without anyone using it.The first time it was left in her nan's house on the microwave with no one near it. I saw the missed call as I was heading home from work. I popped into her nan's thinking I had to pick her up. She had already gone home but had forgotten her phone.The second time was last night when it was sitting out of power. My daughter is a bit spooked!Has anyone had anything similar?is it a technical fault?

I've just been freaked out. My boyfriend went up to bed a bit earlier than me. I was watching Unsolved Mysteries. I went upstairs expecting him to be asleep. The bedroom is set out so the bed is on tge same wall as the door and the tv is diretly opposite the door, but angled so you can see it from the bed. You can also see it when you open the door. I open the door and the woman on the TV is mirroring my movements, opening and closing the door, including the dark hall way behind her and similar length hair but a lot thinner. My heart stopped for a moment whilst I tried to make sense. From the voice over I guess he had put unsolved mysteries on too but fallen asleep.

Sorry long post and silly but it was odd.

I've just been freaked out. My boyfriend went up to bed a bit earlier than me. I was watching Unsolved Mysteries. I went upstairs expecting him to be asleep. The bedroom is set out so the bed is on tge same wall as the door and the tv is diretly opposite the door, but angled so you can see it from the bed. You can also see it when you open the door. I open the door and the woman on the TV is mirroring my movements, opening and closing the door, including the dark hall way behind her and similar length hair but a lot thinner. My heart stopped for a moment whilst I tried to make sense. From the voice over I guess he had put unsolved mysteries on too but fallen asleep.

Sorry long post and silly but it was odd.

Nice! Not silly at all.

My daughter's phone has rung my phone on two separate occasions, without anyone using it. . . . The second time was last night when it was sitting out of power. My daughter is a bit spooked!Has anyone had anything similar?is it a technical fault?
A co-worker recently told me of similar oddities performed by his phone when the battery needs to be recharged. Could be that your daughter's phone looked completely out of power, but still had some juice so could "reach out and touch" you. (Oh! I'm showing my age!)

I switched on the alarm clock-radio and was rather astonished to find that not only was it playing the song I was playing in my head, but the two songs were perfectly matched up... in other words it was as if I'd heard the song on the radio as I passed it in the hallway and now the two versions of the song - the one on the alarm clock-radio and the other in my head, were in perfect alignment.
Adolescence is such a freaky time of life.

We have threads on 'phone oddness', going back to just before mobiles were ubiquitous. In one of them I describe ringing to report some fault which I was flatly told was 'impossible'.

Last night I tried to text Techy from work but all my phone would type, no matter which keys I hit, was 'XXX' or 'xxx'. Restarted it and all was OK.

Yep, most of the 'unexplainable' stuff I've experienced all happened when I was younger.

With me oddness episodes have been fairly evenly sprinkled through my life with the exception of night paralysis which first manifested in adolescence and more or less dissapeared, came back with a vengeance during my very long and tedious menopause! Whether that was hormonal or the fact that life was full of difficulties at the time ..... not the least of which were adolescent sons I wouldn't like to say!

I got it to stop for a while and one of these days I'll post it about it one here. I still get it from time to time but to nowhere near the intensity and frequency.

Sollywos x

My wife and I own a retail gift store. At the rear we have a 100 sq metre storage area with a loading bay accessed by a roller door. When deliveries come there's a doorbell to ring that rings both inside the storage area and also inside the actual shop. This way no matter where we are or the people that work for us, someone will hear and go and receive the delivery.
We suspect that we may have a spirit as the doorbell regularly goes off, someone will go to meet the delivery person only to find no one there. This happened enough times that we purchased a new doorbell system and ensure that the batteries on the indoor units are changed regularly.
Today we had the oddest occasion with it. Six times this morning the bell rang and each time someone went to the rear door only to be met with no one there. The one time today we did get a delivery, the man rang the doorbell, yet it didn't ring inside. He tried numerous times and waited a few minutes before finally calling our number listed on the delivery note to say he was waiting at the back door.
Minor strangeness to say the least.

Last edited:
My wife and I own a retail gift store. At the rear we have a 100 sq metre storage area with a loading bay accessed by a roller door. When deliveries come there's a doorbell to ring that rings both inside the storage area and also inside the actual shop. This way no matter where we are or the people that work for us, someone will hear and go and receive the delivery.
We suspect that we may have a spirit as the doorbell regularly goes off, someone will go to meet the delivery person only to find no one there. This happened enough times that we purchased a new doorbell system and ensure that the batteries on the indoor units are changed regularly.
Today we had the oddest occasion with it. Six times this morning the bell rang and each time someone went to the rear door only to be met with no one there. The one time today we did get a delivery, the man rang the doorbell, yet it didn't ring inside. He tried numerous times and waited a few minutes before finally calling our number listed on the delivery note to say he was waiting at the back door.

Most curious. My first thought, of course, is... any chance of rigging up any kind of camera at the door to see what is going on?

The thought of someone/thing pressing the bell 'for a prank' could explain it, if not for the actual delivery man pressing the bell and it not ringing inside. Replacement doorbell of course rules out any problems with the old one, and as it is battery-operated it can't be put down to any sort of electrical wiring issues. There are no strong electrical fields or anything, nearby, are there? Close to a power sub-station or anything?

(Just thinking out loud)

How long has this been happening for? Has anything changed co-incidentally with when it started?

... We suspect that we may have a spirit as the doorbell regularly goes off, someone will go to meet the delivery person only to find no one there. This happened enough times that we purchased a new doorbell system and ensure that the batteries on the indoor units are changed regularly.

How long ago was the doorbell system replaced?

Did this replacement include replacing the doorbell / button (signaling unit) outside?

Does the new system rely on wire connections, or is it wireless?

Did the new doorbell system cause the phantom doorbell ringing to cease until this most recent episode? In other words - was the weird 6 rings / no rings event the first time you've had such strangeness occur since the doorbell system was replaced?

Six times this morning the bell rang and each time someone went to the rear door only to be met with no one there. The one time today we did get a delivery, the man rang the doorbell, yet it didn't ring inside.

Is the door/bell mechanism exposed to direct sunlight? l’m speculating that at different temperatures, the contacts might touch without human intervention; or shift apart due to differential expansion, rendering the bell inoperative.

maximus otter

Last edited:
We have a witless door bell and in hot weather especially when the button unit is
in direct sun it will go off, I notice the next door had removed his button so maybe
they are having the same problem.
A mobi I had a few years back would ring my mother if I dropped it but why just
that one number I haven't a clue.

We have a witless door bell and in hot weather especially when the button unit is
in direct sun it will go off, I notice the next door had removed his button so maybe
they are having the same problem.
A mobi I had a few years back would ring my mother if I dropped it but why just
that one number I haven't a clue.

Sorry, I know that was a typo and I'm not picking you out cos of your spelling, but a "witless doorbell" made me smile :)

How long ago was the doorbell system replaced?

Did this replacement include replacing the doorbell / button (signaling unit) outside?

Does the new system rely on wire connections, or is it wireless?

Did the new doorbell system cause the phantom doorbell ringing to cease until this most recent episode? In other words - was the weird 6 rings / no rings event the first time you've had such strangeness occur since the doorbell system was replaced?

This has been going on for around 4 months. The old doorbell began ringing on it's own and after a couple of battery changes it continued to do so. Therefore, we purchased a new doorbell system, the new one whilst the same brand as the older one is a much more expensive model. I might add that the older unit had been working perfectly for 18 months previously without issue. The new unit has rung of it's own accord on occasion, however the past 2 weeks have seen it working overtime, though until yesterday, it has never gone off 6 times in one day. Once yes, sometimes twice, but never more.
The new unit is wireless with a 100 m range, battery operated and not in direct sunlight, though it may catch a few early morning rays. There are two indoor alarm units, the first in the storage area is no more than 5 m from the outside button. The second, inside the store on our counter would be 25 m from the button. There is a brick wall separating the storage area and the store proper.
The outside button is on a wall we share with 3 other shops, the area is fenced and there is only once entrance where vehicle may enter. I have personally been just inside the roller door when the bell has gone off, opened the door only to find no one there. If there was anyone ringing for fun, they'd be easily seen as there is no alternate exit.
There is a small sub station nearby, however it would be roughly 700 m away to the north. Also the town's railway station (which does cause radio interference as you drive by) is approx 500 m to the north.
It's strange, I can't explain it. We do sometimes have toys that require activation (read that as being pressed in a certain area to make a noise) turn on as we enter in mornings. We have also on 3 occasions for bobby pins ( a type of hair pin ) in the middle of the floor upon our arrival in the morning. This has not happened for some time, but was odd as the store is thoroughly vacuumed each afternoon/evening before we leave.

Think most use Bluetooth but don't know what feq that is on but most mobi phones have it
so rely the possibility's are endless, just checked 2.402 GHz and 2.480 GHz, This frequency band has been set aside by international agreement for the use of industrial, scientific and medical devices

I was involved years back in looking into why some car security systems would not work in certain locations
someone had thought it a good idea to put them right in the middle of a band that had been a shared band
for military and ham radio for many years.

Last edited:
A few days ago I was listening to some music on my smartphone on random. I was listening to a song I normally skip and in the few seconds between the song and the last song I was thinking about another song. Guess what song played next? Right - the one I was thinking about. My playlist was on random with about 700 files in it.

My reason? The random option is not that random.
Not good enough? Maybe the song needs a few seconds to start and starts with very quiet sounds that may slip my consciousness.
Still not good enough? Okay! My damn earplugs are able to read my mind due to certain brainwaves being scanned and sent to some company that wants to mess with me. [/s]
Many moons ago, I watched a Transtel documentary (incredibly old, but maybe this part is still current) stating that the brain perceives as "present time" things that happen in a window of about three seconds. Events during this timeframe might have their order garbled. Normally our notions of cause and effect help to put them in the proper order, but sometimes weird stuff happens and the order is not clear; expanding what I said, our biases provide the order we accept.

Edit: and since humans are extremely good at telling stories, uniting nonsensical fragments--sometimes not so good, as some of the weirder Dr. Who episodes will show, but I digress--presto, we have a Fortean story.

I am not saying this can't happen, but it is very difficult to separate the real stuff from noise. Most cases of synchronicity occur because the same place you heard about something, most likely a lot of people also did so. It is paramount to keep notes; recall of events often retells their stories, so to say. In Fortean cases, you want to get the story fresh.

For memory degradation of old stories and contamination by cultural factors, I would recommend the last paper Katharine Mary Briggs wrote before her death: Tradition and Invention in Ghost Stories, in The Folklore of Ghosts, pp. 3-11, edited by H. R. S. Davidson and W. M. S. Russell (ISBN 0859910792).

Last edited:
This has been going on for around 4 months. The old doorbell began ringing on it's own and after a couple of battery changes it continued to do so. Therefore, we purchased a new doorbell system, the new one whilst the same brand as the older one is a much more expensive model. I might add that the older unit had been working perfectly for 18 months previously without issue. The new unit has rung of it's own accord on occasion, however the past 2 weeks have seen it working overtime, though until yesterday, it has never gone off 6 times in one day. Once yes, sometimes twice, but never more. ...

Thanks for the clarifications / details ...

There are multiple things you mention that could well cause interference and / or transient spurious signals in a Bluetooth setup. Such interference / transients represent the #1 likely suspect(s) to my mind.

If this hunch is correct, I don't think you're likely to get relief until you go old-school and install a wired connection between the delivery door doorbell and a signaling unit (flasher; buzzer; whatever ...) inside the front store section.

A little while ago, I was bidding on an item on eBay. As the clock was ticking down in the last few minutes I thought - for no good reason - "Oh, I hope the power doesn't go out and make me lose this auction!" I did end up with the final bid, but no sooner than I'd finished confirming the sale, the power went out. o_O

Well, at least it had the decency to wait until I'd finished!

Thanks for the clarifications / details ...

There are multiple things you mention that could well cause interference and / or transient spurious signals in a Bluetooth setup. Such interference / transients represent the #1 likely suspect(s) to my mind.

If this hunch is correct, I don't think you're likely to get relief until you go old-school and install a wired connection between the delivery door doorbell and a signaling unit (flasher; buzzer; whatever ...) inside the front store section.

The curious this is why now (or at least in the past 4 months)? All was fine up until then. Naturally, there could be interference of some sort of which we'll never know of and yes your solution will work but at the end of the day, it's all still a little odd.

Awhile ago I read something about some garage door openers messing with certain electronics. I don't suppose someone near could have got a new one?

That could be possible. Alongside our building runs a small creek and around 50 m beyond that is a complex of around 20 town houses. Someone could quite possibly have a new remote.

Techy's a weird bugger. Today I was looking at fabrics for cloths for my outdoor tables and knew EXACTLY what I wanted. Bought three types, one of which really struck me and I couldn't resist it. A pattern of clock faces, exactly like the watch that arrived today that Techy sent off for as a surprise for me, which arrived today.

Techy's a weird bugger. Today I was looking at fabrics for cloths for my outdoor tables and knew EXACTLY what I wanted. Bought three types, one of which really struck me and I couldn't resist it. A pattern of clock faces, exactly like the watch that arrived today that Techy sent off for as a surprise for me, which arrived today.
Yeah, this is one of the cases I would count as the real thing.

The real thing as in true love. :itslove:

Heh yup! There's more to the clock thing. It all culminated in me choosing the clock-faced fabric, which I'd bought on impulse, and making the tablecloth with it.

So I was sitting out admiring it and Torch brought me a drink, and said 'So how's your new watch?' and there were the watch and the tablecloth, looking the same. White faces and black features. A bit Derren Brown, what.

This is either a minor strangeness or a coincidence but my friend and I were walking on Thursday and talking about old films (to be precise the first films we went to see at the cinema). She said hers was Born Free, which was my late mum's favourite film, and we chatted about it for a while. I hadn't thought of that film in years. Today, driving across the Wolds and listening to Desert Island Discs, the lady who was on chose the instrumental version of the song Born Free as one of her tracks. It made me think of my mum again, which was rather sweet.

Yesterday, I went to the water park to get some desperately needed downtime. I went into one of the changing rooms (of which there are many scattered all around the park) and sat down. I thought, suddenly nostalgic, "I remember the first time I was in this room, It was 1985, with that wench* Traci who's now a hairdresser in Barbados. " I felt momentarily sad at the passage of time, but contented myself by thinking of how wizened Traci must look now. I hadn't seen her in many, many years.

I finished changing clothes and came out - only to find myself face to face with that wench Traci who's now a hairdresser in Barbados. :oops:

She was in town visiting her mother. Alas, she didn't look wizened at all. Curse it.

*a euphemism

Just to report another missing item turns up where it was looked for and not found.

I keep my bank card in a little black wallet that protects criminals from swiping it in passing whilst it's sat in my bag (presuming you know what I mean? Because I don't exactly know how criminals do this, but thought it wise to stop them). I keep that wallet, which also has notes in it, in a big clip purse with lose change and loyalty cards.

On Thursdays I go horseriding and take just the little black wallet in a smaller handbag with me, for the cash inside it to pay for the riding lesson. I also put in this smaller handbag tissues, lip balm and polo mints for the horses.

On the Friday of last week I was taking my daughter and her boyfriend out for the day, and when I got to the petrol station, realised with horror that I hadn't transferred the black wallet back into my every day handbag.

Luckily, daughter had her card and by way of my banking app I transferred money from my account into hers, and she took the cash out for me. Day saved!

But when we got back home, and I checked the smaller horseriding handbag, no wallet! Tissues, lipbalm, polo mints, but no wallet!

Of course I called the stables, I searched the car, I turned the house upside down. I knew it hadn't been stolen as no money was being taken from my account, and I really didn't want to cancel the card and then have to replace the card details on various online sites. I just hoped it would turn up.

It didn't.

Inspired by stories I've read on here of folks asking various entities or deities for the return of an item, after another search of the car, garden and house, I lay on my bed and asked the gods and goddesses to please help me find my bank card. By now I had run out of the cash dear husband had leant me and was feeling a bit desperate.

Just as I finished asking, my phone in the living room went off. I answered it. Sales call. Cut it off. Then I went through the sofa one last time, thinking maybe I had been lead into that room by helpful deities. But no.

I wondered back into my bedroom, idly looked in the box where I keep my collection of various handbags, and there, bold as brass, sitting right on top of the bags, obvious as you like, was my black wallet.

I literally fell to my knees in gratitude!

Of course, I had checked this box before, even though my horseriding handbag had never been in it (it's kept on a hook in the hall, next to my riding hat).

tldr: my wallet went missing and turned up a week later in a place I had already looked, but in which it shouldn't have been.

Back