• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

You know, the more I've thought about this this evening, the more I think it WAS him. Perhaps he smelt the fishfingers and went to have a look what the smell was, and literally just took the whole hunk to eat. I plan to check in his room for evidence next time he's not in...
Just mention casually that the beef was probably off and that you're concerned for the welfare of whoever had it.

Ahem. Some of the American posters have been too busy the last couple of days to check Forteana Forums thoroughly. :fish:

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anybody got a link to that top 5 please, i cannot find it based on that

The missing roast reminds me of the time years ago when I left a chicken on the bench to defrost.
Next morning it was nowhere to be found. We had no pets and there was only a space a couple of centimetres wide at the back of the bench where some backing had to be finished, not wide enough for a chicken.
I had thought perhaps rats but there was no rat dirt and couldn't work out how it would have disappeared down the small space.

Kipling wrote a very funny story abut boys in a public school who discover that their adjoined but physically and politically highly separate dormitories have a common attic crawlspace. Of course they push the next dead mammal they find over a few buildings and time the results. It has the ring of personal experience.

Strangeness at my place...

For months now (almost a year), while lying here on the sofa I have been smelling something odd. I can't make out what it is or where it is.
Right at the moment, it smells like clean linen. Other times, the smell morphs into a rancid fish smell. Then, sometimes it smells like chemicals.
I'm wondering if it's ME. Maybe this is what ketosis smells like? I dunno.

For months now (almost a year), while lying here on the sofa I have been smelling something odd. I can't make out what it is or where it is.
Right at the moment, it smells like clean linen. Other times, the smell morphs into a rancid fish smell. Then, sometimes it smells like chemicals.

Is it just on the sofa you can smell it? I don't suppose someone else in your house has put in one of those plug in triple air freshners without telling you have they?

I've noticed that with my eyesight and hearing decreasing my sense of smell is increasing. That should be 'seems to be' ... for all I know it's the same and I'm just noticing it more.

Not sure of the full range of ketosis body odours I can imagine a chemically smell but rancid fish? There again not always easy to describe odours so I suppose it could be.

Sollywos x

Is it just on the sofa you can smell it? I don't suppose someone else in your house has put in one of those plug in triple air freshners without telling you have they?

I've noticed that with my eyesight and hearing decreasing my sense of smell is increasing. That should be 'seems to be' ... for all I know it's the same and I'm just noticing it more.

Not sure of the full range of ketosis body odours I can imagine a chemically smell but rancid fish? There again not always easy to describe odours so I suppose it could be.

Sollywos x
Just me in the house. I can smell it when I'm elsewhere, but not as strong.

Odours can be carried on currents of air and these seem to find odd routes through a house, maybe your sofa forms an eddying place and the smells are coming in from outside? As it's not as strong elsewhere that would suggest it's not coming from yourself. Have others noticed it? Is the sofa on a concrete slab or floorboards? What about the ceiling above? Flat roof or floorboards? I'm just thinking of hidden gaps that scents can drift through.

As it changes I'm ruling out an ex stuffing hollow curtain poles with prawns being accountable for for the rancid fish smell!

Sollywos x

One hard-to-fathom household pong, which I eventually pinned-down, turned out to be the perishing foam backing of the carpet. It only perished in certain areas, probably to do with exposure to air or humidity. When brown dust showed at the foot of the stairs, I feared a rot problem and lifted the stair-carpet, finding the crumbling backing and a strong whiff of the elusive odour. Mention of a sofa makes me wonder what fills the cushions . . . :rolleyes:

One hard-to-fathom household pong, which I eventually pinned-down, turned out to be the perishing foam backing of the carpet. It only perished in certain areas, probably to do with exposure to air or humidity. When brown dust showed at the foot of the stairs, I feared a rot problem and lifted the stair-carpet, finding the crumbling backing and a strong whiff of the elusive odour. Mention of a sofa makes me wonder what fills the cushions . . . :rolleyes:
It's a leather sofa that I bought new about 3 or 4 years ago.

If it's a suspended timber floor I would suspect stagnant water under the floor. Could be rainwater or domestic water leaking from a pipe. We get the same weird fishy/chemical smell when the washing machine is emptying. So far I've been unable to trace the leak. Pouring die down the drains and looking under the floor might find the source. If it's a solid concrete floor, possibly something in the cavity walls?

a rancid fish smell can come from burnt out electric socket or light fitting.

or your enemies have sewn prawns into your sofa cushions....

a rancid fish smell can come from burnt out electric socket or light fitting.

Yes, I thought of that too! I've had that happen and it's puzzling. Doesn't smell at all electrical, more like overcooked fish. Unmistakeable. If I came across it again I'd look at all the nearby electricals and give them a good sniff.

You don't have a cat, do you Myth? Or a small dog?

Mine has taken to bringing home the corpses of mice and burying them in the sofa cushions, as I found out when I had a good clean up the other day...

The smell isn't as strong as you'd suspect of a decaying rodent, I think they somehow dessicate. They look pretty mummified, anyhow. I am having Stern Words with the dog now.

Back