• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Don't know whether this belongs here or as part of one of my many long running threads.

Earlier I was standing in the doorway between the kitchen and living room, my back to the former, talking to a guest in the latter...and the spookiest thing. I felt the neck of my t-shirt being tugged from behind. It wasn't a simple movement of cloth, (and I couldn't explain it away like I did with incidents with my hoody a few years ago, that were part of long sequence of events suggestive of a dead friend and reported on here). It was the distinct sensation of someone behind me tugging at it. At any rate it was clear enough that i stopped mid sentence to look around and exclaim to the guest "what the hell was that?!"

To make it doubly creepy just an hour earlier my brother on the phone was reporting a couple of odd events happening in his house ( TV coming on by itself in the night and finding a door that was always left open locked). I'd already forgotten about this when my invisible t shirt tug happened.

My neighbour often leaves his wifi turned on and unprotected.
I just hop on whenever I feel like it and he's none the wiser.
It's not password protected?

Don't look up 'how can i make a bomb' whatever you do. ;) (That's a joke BTW).
Agreed. It's much better to look up "how can I build a nuclear powered submarine in my garage."

It's not password protected?

I was actually joking (replace wifi with wife and re-read), but the situation is actually true for my office.

The maths teacher who used to work next-door said that he needed a really decent connection for students to take online tests, so he paid for some really decent package and gave me the password.

He moved out three years ago to larger premises, but the person who took the rooms over has changed nothing since; I have an unlimited data package on my smartphone, but my work computer just auto-connects to their network as it always has done. I don't think they are using it for anything apart from email, so it's super-fast!

Being that our teen son set up our wi-fi, it's named "hippity hoppity get off my property." Don't know what the neighbors think about that!
I gave my old wi-fi router the name 'Rat Network' in homage to the dodgy-looking upload site seen at the end of The Core (an entertaining film that made no money). I don't use that wi-fi name now.

Last edited:
There are several apartments near our house, so my phone finds a couple dozen wifi connections when I open the app. Some names are pretty funny, like Always Watching, IveSeenYouNaked, and I Saw What You Did. Notably absent at the moment is my favorite: FBI Surveillance Van. I'm sure it will be back.

There are several apartments near our house, so my phone finds a couple dozen wifi connections when I open the app. Some names are pretty funny, like Always Watching, IveSeenYouNaked, and I Saw What You Did. Notably absent at the moment is my favorite: FBI Surveillance Van. I'm sure it will be back.
I used to have FBI Surveillance Van, even scarier, I had, TV Licencing Van

Notably absent at the moment is my favorite: FBI Surveillance Van. I'm sure it will be back.
Maybe they read this thread and decided to park somewhere else.

even scarier, I had, TV Licencing Van
Is it illegal to operate a TV without a license where you are?

A little weirdness yesterday. My mum and Dad have their house on the market for about a month. A similar house up the street took about 2 years to sell so they weren't holding our much hope of a quick sale and there has been no interest. I haven't spoken to my mum for a couple of weeks.

Last night driving home from work. I just thought "ooh I wonder if they have sold the house". I use my phone as sat nav At that moment I saw my phone ping a chat head from my mum, but obviously couldn't read it till I got home. It said "give us a ring, we've sold the house".

From an economics weblog. Nice little story:
https://marginalrevolution.com/marg...+(Marginal+Revolution)#blog-comment-159969313

Recently, I was sitting next to some dude at ORD when suddenly a flock of Filipinos came over and manically started to wave at him and hug him. Nearly as quickly as this happened...it was a bit alarming at first...the Filipinos dispersed. The scene happened again, with a bunch of Filipinos about 20 minutes later. After the second occurrence, I had to ask the guy what made him so popular amongst the islanders, given he didn't look Filipino. He simply stated, 'they love me over there.' Mystery unsolved.

Going to the Rotterdam city park has suddenly become an adventure. Warning signs are everywhere.
Cyanobacteria producing neurotoxins, oak processionary caterpillars causing asthma, ash dieback causing falling branches and old trees on the point of toppling.
danger01.jpgdanger02.jpgdanger03.jpg

If I'm being honest, I'd probably prefer it if people didn't mention the toe-gangs. Some of the stuff I've heard about those guys gives me the creeps.

If I'm being honest, I'd probably prefer it if people didn't mention the toe-gangs. Some of the stuff I've heard about those guys gives me the creeps.
Who or what are are toe-gangs? I haven't heard of them before?

You don't have a cat, do you Myth? Or a small dog?

Mine has taken to bringing home the corpses of mice and burying them in the sofa cushions, as I found out when I had a good clean up the other day...

The smell isn't as strong as you'd suspect of a decaying rodent, I think they somehow dessicate. They look pretty mummified, anyhow. I am having Stern Words with the dog now.
This reminds me of the time there was a most disgusting, rancid stench in my home and it was so overpowering that my nose would "switch off" completely, making it impossible to trace the source. I finally found a rotting, maggot infested mouse corpse wedged in the metal grill at the back of the fridge freezer! My cat was a bugger for bringing little playmates home for a fun filled afternoon but Smegol would quickly grow bored of them and, with sometimes pretty serious injuries, they would scarper to find sanctuary!

Back