• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

A friend has posted on Facebook that he is watching a band, called Fat Albert I think. How come when I put Fat Albert band into Google he results show a grey square in the top left corner and no results?

Have a stumbled upon a back door into something really sinister or is my Google just being strange?

I wonder if men in black will soon be knocking on my door.

A friend has posted on Facebook that he is watching a band, called Fat Albert I think. How come when I put Fat Albert band into Google he results show a grey square in the top left corner and no results?

Have a stumbled upon a back door into something really sinister or is my Google just being strange?

Interestingly, that returns only 1 page of results for me (if I type in 'fat albert'). Doing a search on 'Fat Albert' yields more results.
I think Google is acting up.

I seem to get mistaken for a man surprisingly often. I have just had someone ring my doorbell and ask for Tommy. Then he said, "Are you Tommy?" Um no. I am not. :wtf: I am really not very manly at all. It is very strange. I know the joke in Miranda is that she gets called Sir a lot but that is because of her height. I am 5'3".

Spud, the only Fat Albert I know, was an American kids cartoon about the antics of an African American gang of kids, hope that helps.
Just come back from a trip to Canterbury, we had a problem with the Wi-Fi in Canterbury, couldn't get a signal. We may get a signal for a while and then it would go. Bloody annoying, but Canterbury was really good and will definetly go back there again.

Because there were train cancellations on my usual line this morning, I was obliged to drive to a different and quite remote station.
Was driving through some woods along the Surrey/Hants border around 7:00. The sun had just risen and driving conditions were good.
There was one other car perhaps 100 metres in front of me. I saw his brake lights come on and he slowed abruptly almost to a stop. I naturally slowed too - and spotted a sizeable animal running across the road from the treeline on the right, to some bushes on the left. The weird thing was, the animal appeared completely white. The car in front, that had almost hit the creature, drove on and, as I passed the spot where the animal had crossed,
I glanced to the left and saw a flash of white, as what was presumably the creature's backside disappeared into the undergrowth. This was definitely a quadruped and not a swan and I would say it was approximately golden retriever size, but it seemed to be galloping in a very low stance. I should add that these woods are fairly remote, with no houses anywhere near. Would love to know what animal it could have been!

It wasn't a pig was it? They are usually quite unmistakable, but if you are surprised and not expecting to see it, and only catch a glimpse, then it could be a white (or mostly white) pig?

My minor strangeness of the day is that I woke up with the word 'recondite' in my head. I am aware of the word, but had to look up its meaning. Nothing recondite has yet happened though.

I seem to get mistaken for a man surprisingly often. I have just had someone ring my doorbell and ask for Tommy. Then he said, "Are you Tommy?" Um no. I am not. :wtf: I am really not very manly at all. It is very strange. I know the joke in Miranda is that she gets called Sir a lot but that is because of her height. I am 5'3".
I know it's a stretch, but 'Tommy' could be a shortened version of 'Thomasina'.

Maybe. I am wondering if it was some sort of weird online thing and they had reason to suspect the person they were looking for was hiding their identity. I am not sure they were very bright though since they were looking for a different number and my number is on the door pretty big.

Very minor strangeness really but it has us puzzled ...

In the bookshop where I work our current best-selling book is "The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse" by Charlie Mackesy. By the late
afternoon there was only one copy left on the main single title table but our computer system said two in stock. My colleague and I looked everywhere for the second copy but no luck - we concluded the in-stock figure was a computer error. Then, Sam turned to me and said "Oh you found it then" and pointed to the table which now had 2 copies. Of course I hadn't found it and Sam was astonished as she hadn't either. (I should point out Sam is an old and trustworthy friend who has no interest in practical jokes).

We concluded a customer must have overheard us talking about it, found the book and quietly put it on the table. Except that just doesn't happen. It really doesn't! And it had been put back with great precision, lined up with the other copy to the millimetre. There should be CCTV footage available so we'll have to take a look when we can.

In the bookshop where I work our current best-selling book is "The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse" by Charlie Mackesy. By the late
afternoon there was only one copy left on the main single title table but our computer system said two in stock. My colleague and I looked everywhere for the second copy but no luck - we concluded the in-stock figure was a computer error. Then, Sam turned to me and said "Oh you found it then" and pointed to the table which now had 2 copies. Of course I hadn't found it and Sam was astonished as she hadn't either. (I should point out Sam is an old and trustworthy friend who has no interest in practical jokes).

We concluded a customer must have overheard us talking about it, found the book and quietly put it on the table. Except that just doesn't happen. It really doesn't! And it had been put back with great precision, lined up with the other copy to the millimetre. There should be CCTV footage available so we'll have to take a look when we can.
Maybe the store ghost was reading it?

We concluded a customer must have overheard us talking about it, found the book and quietly put it on the table. Except that just doesn't happen. It really doesn't! And it had been put back with great precision, lined up with the other copy to the millimetre.
Um, that sounds like something I would do.

:actw: I know, I'm a freak . . .

Bloke came to our door wife answers he says is your mumy in? wife is 63 work that one out.
:dunno:
Have you had a credit card go missing recently?
It's a common social engineering ploy - the response is usually to tell the questioner your age with which they can work out your year of birth and this is very often used as a PIN.

No nothing missing, the guy worked for a local firm that call once a year delivering garden compost.
strangely first thing I thought about with Min's caller was is it the local pond life checking if any one
was in, trusting lot aren't we.
Mind you the depths the local pond life can sink to who could blame us.

Last edited:

We really would like to see when the book appears out of nowhere. Post the video to Youtube or Vimeo.

My cork board fell off the wall in the middle of the night. I heard the crash but didn’t check it out until the morning. The odd thing I found was that the board was not flat on the floor as I’d expected - but leant up against a cupboard halfway across the room. So it had somehow fallen vertically and landed on its side six feet away without falling over. I’m still a bit baffled by it!

Last edited:

Fat Albert IS one of the Men In Black.

No nothing missing, the guy worked for a local firm that call once a year delivering garden compost.
strangely first thing I thought about with Min's caller was is it the local pond life checking if any one
was in, trusting lot aren't we.
Mind you the depths the local pond life can sink to who could blame us.
I briefly wondered this too but it would have been an elaborate ploy as they had the address and a description on a piece of paper. I watched them from the window and they milled around slightly then headed off towards the address they were looking for. I assume Tommy came out of it unscathed as the police didn't turn up later!

Just a few minutes ago, I began watching the
Zimbabwe - UFO - 62 School Children
video on youtube. At 1:59 in the video, just after the first child witness begins speaking, the video suddenly froze. I pressed play repeatedly, and it would not restart. Strange, I thought. I looked over to see if my modem lights were on, and they were OFF! I got up out of my chair to inspect, and the power cord was completely out of the modem (there's no on/off switch, the power cord needs to be removed to cut the power), and was in a position it could not have simply fallen into had it somehow just come loose (which has never happened to a power cord here EVER).

My body is not close to the modem, and I had not moved my body in any way that might have impacted the modem or its power cord; my only movement was of the mouse in my left hand , which is on a separate surface and five feet away from the modem.

Back