• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

An update on my ghostly weekend away birthday treat to the Bull hotel, long Melford. Despite booking room 4, which is the hotels most active room, I can honestly say that nothing happened whatsoever.

To be honest though, The ghost of Anne Boleyn, a headless horseman, the brown lady of Raynham hall, and Bill, former resident of 284 Green street, could have been playing tidderly winks on the bedroom floor and we wouldn’t have noticed, such was the inebriated state of us both.

I nearly choked when I saw the bar bill on Sunday morning.

Still, a big thankyou to Mrs DT who helped make it such a unforgettable weekend – or should that be forgettable, neither of us can remember a damn thing. :D

Sounds like you enjoyed the company of spirits, anyway.

An update on my ghostly weekend away birthday treat to the Bull hotel, long Melford. Despite booking room 4, which is the hotels most active room, I can honestly say that nothing happened whatsoever.

To be honest though, The ghost of Anne Boleyn, a headless horseman, the brown lady of Raynham hall, and Bill, former resident of 284 Green street, could have been playing tidderly winks on the bedroom floor and we wouldn’t have noticed, such was the inebriated state of us both.

I nearly choked when I saw the bar bill on Sunday morning.

Still, a big thankyou to Mrs DT who helped make it such a unforgettable weekend – or should that be forgettable, neither of us can remember a damn thing. :D
Afraid you have failed your Ghosthunter certificate, then..

pipe gypsum.jpg

Furriedom does strike me as a Fortean phenomenon!

In that spirit, please keep further comments away from the ill-judged vituperation which has marred earlier posts :)

Frides

Furries in the rain on Scheveningen boulevard.
Somehow there is a lot of animosity against this hobby, but I have a weak spot for them.View attachment 23750
I don't know much about them but I always read it as 'furies' so could it be a subconscious thing, then again I always read the latest mad max film as 'Furry Road' so maybe just me.

I can only tell about English and Portuguese, and there is extensive duplicated vocabulary in both languages with different words for the same concepts; but one is used only for humans, and the other, only with non-humans.

Furries mix these two deeply separated areas, and are uncomfortable to the very structure of thinking for most people (I'm thinking of the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis, on how language structure constrains thought). I guess this drives some of the hate.

My vocabulary has been improved since joining this site:) though sometimes it can be TMI.
Just had to look up TMI, cheers Brownmane will use this now ! my vocabulary is improving too !

This morning, lying in bed looking at t'internet, I heard a sound like gravel being thrown at the window.

Sprang up, ran downstairs, rushed outside, nobody in sight, and certainly no gravel lying around.

Turned to go back in and noticed one of the cats inspecting something on the doorstep. It was an icicle! Bloody'ell, I thought, didn't think it was THAT cold last night!

Picked it up to show to Techy (possibly after storing it in the freezer if necessary and) and found it wasn't even cold. Plastic, in fact.

Our neighbours have left their external xmas decorations up and a plastic icicle must've fallen off, rolled down our porch, bounced off my car bonnet and landed on my doorstep. Or else t'global warming is getting really serious.

I was sitting on a chair next to the computer desk talking on the phone to a friend because a mutual friend's father had just died.
There's a bookcase to the right and behind that is the path to the front door where I have a couple of doorstops.
I heard a noise and the ceramic ballshaped one with a flat bottom suddenly rolled around the bookcase.
The friend whose father had died told me yesterday she was emptying 4 mousetraps in her bird aviary but then could only find 3.
She even sifted through the seed trough and the bag she put the mice in.
Later on she went back to the aviary and the other trap was sitting next to the seed trough.

Not Fortean, but something very odd happened yesterday evening.

My eldest daughter (almost 18) has always detested my home made stew.

Even as a small child she would refuse to eat it, so whenever I made a pot ( about once a month in the winter months) I would always have to make her something else.

She does voluntary work at a local zoo, and came home last night and asked what was for dinner. I said that the rest of us all have stew, but I was prepared to buy her fish and chips, but she said that she wanted stew.

Surprised by this, I gave a small bowl thinking she’d have a few spoonfuls and turn her nose up, but she ate the lot and then asked for more.

I then gave her a man sized bowl, and she wolfed that down too, thanked me and went to her room, as if her eating stew was the most natural thing in the world.

It left the rest of the DT family looking at each other in disbelief.

Very odd.

Even as a small child she would refuse to eat it, so whenever I made a pot ( about once a month in the winter months) I would always have to make her something else.

She does voluntary work at a local zoo, and came home last night and asked what was for dinner. I said that the rest of us all have stew, but I was prepared to buy her fish and chips, but she said that she wanted stew.

Surprised by this, I gave a small bowl thinking she’d have a few spoonfuls and turn her nose up, but she ate the lot and then asked for more.

I then gave her a man sized bowl, and she wolfed that down too, thanked me and went to her room, as if her eating stew was the most natural thing in the world.

Very odd.
She's the one from an alternate dimension. She may be back to normal now, if the dimensions have flipped back.

Very odd.
Our next door neighbours sell a small range of farm produce, I introduced the Mrs to duck eggs from him last year, she'd not tried them before and she was absolutely raving about them ..

He's just got this year's first batch in (the ducks have started laying again) and he's gone out of his way to let me know and get extra in but she's decided she doesn't like them now after all? .. it's not like we were eating them all the time or ever bought any from him that were off .. it's a mystery to me. I've apologised to him anyway.

Yeah it’s odd how the culinary mind works. I’m a bit of a dab hand in the kitchen, and one of meals Mrs DT used to ask me to cook the most was liver and bacon.

Even if we went out for dinner, if liver and bacon was on the menu, she’d order it.

Then her grandmother died of liver cancer, and she hasn’t eaten it since bless her.

She’s obviously still traumatised by the loss of her Nan.

Very odd.

I never made a fuss if my kids refused to eat anything as I thought it gave them undue attention and anyway there were always eager takers for whatever was going.
One decided he didn't like carrots so I stopped serving them to him, and one day he said 'Mum, why don't you give me carrots?'
The carrots went on his plate without a word and the matter was never discussed again.

Heh.

Edited next day to correct mistakes caused by cat lying across the keyboard.

Last edited:
I never made a fuss if my kids refused to eat anything as I thought it gave them undue attention and anyway there were always eager takers fro whatever was going.
One decided he didn't like carrots so I stopped serving them to him, and one day he said 'Mum, why don't you put give me carrots?'
The carrots went on his plate without a word and the matter was never discussed again.

Heh.

Exactly my way of thinking scargy.

Yeah it’s odd how the culinary mind works. I’m a bit of a dab hand in the kitchen, and one of meals Mrs DT used to ask me to cook the most was liver and bacon.

Even if we went out for dinner, if liver and bacon was on the menu, she’d order it.

Then her grandmother died of liver cancer, and she hasn’t eaten it since bless her.

She’s obviously still traumatised by the loss of her Nan.

Livers, eh. In my experience people do associate human and 'food' livers.

I once bought a huge cut-price pack of chicken livers which I gave to my Mum to cook for Dad. He ate the lot at once, fried up with onions.
Mum said 'Your Dad says thank you for that liver transplant!'

When George Best had his liver transplant I was working in a hospital.
Best's operation was big news. When I'd serve patients with liver I'd say 'Get it down yer, George Best'd be grateful for that!'

Livers, eh. In my experience people do associate human and 'food' livers.

When I was a little buglet, I didn't like liver - probably because my mother fried it until it was sorry for whatever it had done - and she was surprisingly nice about frying me an egg instead. Then I decided I liked it when I was about 7 or 8 - about the time she stopped massacring it and started casseroling it instead. However, I once picked up a nasty case of food poisoning at a friend's barbecue, and it coincided with a liver dish at home, and funnily enough, I stopped eating it again for a while. Then, as a penniless student, I appreciated how cheap it was and went back on the stuff. It's a funny old world.

When I was a little buglet, I didn't like liver - probably because my mother fried it until it was sorry for whatever it had done - and she was surprisingly nice about frying me an egg instead. Then I decided I liked it when I was about 7 or 8 - about the time she stopped massacring it and started casseroling it instead. However, I once picked up a nasty case of food poisoning at a friend's barbecue, and it coincided with a liver dish at home, and funnily enough, I stopped eating it again for a while. Then, as a penniless student, I appreciated how cheap it was and went back on the stuff. It's a funny old world.

The ex hated liver and I'm vegetarian so it was never served chez moi. My pets would often have liver and other offal though.*

However, Techy likes it so I plan to lob him a liver and bacon casserole in the week. Or liver and bacon with onion gravy, served with mash and greens.

*It made the dogs fart stinkily. One night it was so bad I dreamed I was drowning in an open sewer.

Something happened on Friday evening, which made me believe that I’m completely losing the plot, and that the stress of my job has finally taken its toll on my state of mind.

It can be classed as fortean though, so here goes.

In the main street that runs through my village was an old fashioned laundrette, (which I thought only existed in Albert Square :) ) but In the four years that I have lived here, I never saw anybody use the place, so it was no surprise when one day I saw a note in the window, stating that the shop was to close permanently due to lack of custom.

The shop then lay empty for some months, until one day I saw workmen taking all the old machinery away, then a few months later other workmen renovating the place, and it eventually re-opened as a hair salon.

Anyway, I’m driving home from work Friday night and I’m running low on fuel, so decide to stop at the petrol garage opposite the salon and fill up.

As I’m standing at the pump, watching the litres of petrol go in, I’m casually glancing around, and notice the salon opposite had reverted back into a laundrette. I blinked a few times to make sure I was not mistaken, but no, the place had returned to its previous business, as I could see the washing machines and dryers stacked up against the walls, and an elderly gentlemen sweeping the floor.

I thought this weird, as I pass the shop on a regular basis, and had never seen any work being done to convert the shop back into a laundry.

I had a mind to walk over and ask the guy sweeping when the shop converted back, but had a car behind me waiting to use the pump, so instead went to the garage kiosk to pay.

When I came out I had a WTF moment. The newly converted Laundrette was back to the hair salon. I could see two of the stylists packing away for the evening.

I should be worried about this, but it was the end of the working week and I’d had a tough day., unless the laundry shop had a Brigadoon moment :D
Amazing - timeslip? Was the man dressed in the style of a particular time

Back