• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Don't worry, the battery's fine, this wasn't a low battery beep, I know what they sound like.

Similar here.
Smoke detector sounding a couple of times in communal stairway but no one has been smoking or even in the stairway for some time.
I reset it to be on the safe side.

Stayed up late until after midnight on the 30th. Just so, I could say I managed to stay awake that long on my 61rst birthday. Then I spent the night dreaming about smoking cigarettes. It was so real that when I awoke, I was disappointed in myself for giving in and smoking after all this time. It was so real I even remember how many I smoked, 5.

Was really happy it was just a dream. :)

Stayed up late until after midnight on the 30th. Just so, I could say I managed to stay awake that long on my 61rst birthday. Then I spent the night dreaming about smoking cigarettes. It was so real that when I awoke, I was disappointed in myself for giving in and smoking after all this time. It was so real I even remember how many I smoked, 5.

You get them on and off. Even close to 15 years I still get the occasional smoking dream - I'm guessing nicotine still has an effect on the brain.

My mobile phone rang 4 or 5 times, by the time i got to it (it was in another room) it had stopped ringing. I checked to see who had called, no one.No call or text or anything. It had just been ringing on its own. No one else was home at the time, did i imagine it or did it just decide to ring on its own? :omg:

My mobile phone rang 4 or 5 times, by the time i got to it (it was in another room) it had stopped ringing. I checked to see who had called, no one.No call or text or anything. It had just been ringing on its own. No one else was home at the time, did i imagine it or did it just decide to ring on its own? :omg:

Perhaps it was practicing! ;)

Phones're weird. We have threads on telephone weirdness.

A few weeks ago i kept hearing the home landline ringing when i was in the garden,by the time i got to the back door it stopped.
After a few days i spotted the culprit, a starling on the T.V. aerial.. :)

May have been the network doing 'line testing'.

There's an item in the latest FT about phantom phones, where the sufferer will hear/feel their phone going off when it actually hasn't, but their brain has become so attuned to getting calls and messages that it thinks it's happening even when it isn't.

Sorry, that's not very reassuring! But if it happens again, bear that in mind.

Then I spent the night dreaming about smoking cigarettes. It was so real that when I awoke, I was disappointed in myself for giving in and smoking after all this time. It was so real I even remember how many I smoked, 5.

You get them on and off. Even close to 15 years I still get the occasional smoking dream - I'm guessing nicotine still has an effect on the brain.

Congratulations to both of you for quitting! :D

Took the car out of the garage this morning to drive my daughter to the station.
I hadn't used the car yesterday and noticed that there a bird had left a plop about the size of a ten cent coin on the windscreen and thought I would wash it off later.
As we were about to go it started to sprinkle and I said to my daughter that I hoped if I used the wipers that it wouldn't smear over the windscreen.
I backed out onto the road and went to turn on the wipers, but the plop had completely disappeared.
We couldn't work out how it could disappear so completely. The other bits on the car body were still there.

Took the car out of the garage this morning to drive my daughter to the station.
I hadn't used the car yesterday and noticed that there a bird had left a plop about the size of a ten cent coin on the windscreen and thought I would wash it off later.
As we were about to go it started to sprinkle and I said to my daughter that I hoped if I used the wipers that it wouldn't smear over the windscreen.
I backed out onto the road and went to turn on the wipers, but the plop had completely disappeared.
We couldn't work out how it could disappear so completely. The other bits on the car body were still there.

I'm wondering if that was a bit of litter or maybe a leaf that you assumed was a splat?
I mean, you didn't investigate too closely. Nobody tasted it, for example.

escargot I had considered that, but there was no wind and it was there one moment and gone the next.
I know that I was pleased it wasn't there anymore to smear the windscreen.

I was having a conversation with my son in law about the thing where one thing happens and you suddenly start noticing loads of incidences of the same thing - like when you buy a Skoda and suddenly every car you see is a Skoda, or you learn a new word and suddenly it's everywhere on the radio and TV and in every book you read.

Is there a word for this? We were trying to decide if there was a word other than co-incidence for when this happens, and I was sure there was but just couldn't think!
Syncronicity ,maybe

Michael, I was an occasional "social" smoker 40 years ago, not had one in over 30 years . I don't think I ever really enjoyed smoking , it was just something everyone I knew did at the time. I however do dream that I am smoking, usually those little Cafe Creme cigaret things from time to time.

No idea why I do things in dreams that have no part or meaning in life.

Michael, I was an occasional "social" smoker 40 years ago, not had one in over 30 years . I don't think I ever really enjoyed smoking , it was just something everyone I knew did at the time. I however do dream that I am smoking, usually those little Cafe Creme cigaret things from time to time.

No idea why I do things in dreams that have no part or meaning in life.
Ah yes I used to love those Café Crème things. Despite the fact that I've not smoked for 15 years or more, I still remember the smell and taste of them and the little tins they came in. They used to attract women as well for some reason....

I wonder if it had completely dried out and simply fell off the screen?

I guess it might have but the birds around here seem to eat something that makes it stick very well, necessitating water and a sponge.

If you live anywhere near me, the chances are that my dog licked it off. She's disgusting.

I too have a brand-new bird-splat story.

t'other day our bin was emptied. When I collected it from the pavement I noticed a big bird-crap on it. So I dragged it up the drive and left it next to the front door, where the slightly faulty roof gutter would leak onto it when it rained, saving me a job. I'm not daft!
Techy was working from home upstairs so I also hoped the sound it made would remind hm to call the repair man about it.

So of course I forgot and left it there, and it's rained all night ever since, and this morning Techy complained about the hammering noise he can hear at all hours that keeps him up.

Whoops.
:evillaugh:

I did tell him and and he wasn't amused, which made it even funnier. I went off for a bike ride still creased up laughing at him.

TOP pranking, if I say so myself. :cooll:

I guess it might have but the birds around here seem to eat something that makes it stick very well, necessitating water and a sponge.
The seagulls round here are clearly not happy with our choice in cars and target them relentlessly as opposed to those of our neighbours. They appear to enjoy a good curry on Saturday night as well.:mad:

1594279408912.png
I'm wondering now if it could have been a bird dropping spider seeing it disappeared so quickly.

escargot I had considered that, but there was no wind and it was there one moment and gone the next.
I know that I was pleased it wasn't there anymore to smear the windscreen.

When you say you 'considered that', do you mean you considered the alternative item (leaf/litter) scenario or did the tasting?

Well I had wondered if it could have been a leaf although it didn't really look like any I had growing and as it disappeared so quickly I couldn't have tasted it( not that I would).
That's why I wondered if it might have been a spider although I didn't see any legs.

Well I had wondered if it could have been a leaf although it didn't really look like any I had growing and as it disappeared so quickly I couldn't have tasted it( not that I would).
That's why I wondered if it might have been a spider although I didn't see any legs.

Could it have been a flower pedal. Maybe an apple blossom?

The only flowers near the garage are camellias and they are red.
It had the blackbrown colour with bits of white.

Back