• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I happily chomped Winalot as a child. Who didn't? :dunno:
Nor me.

As an aside.....tinned pet food (dog/cat/wolf) by law has to be fit for human consumption.
This is because in the (unlikely) event that it is used in a survival situation (think of an EOTWS eg nuclear war, meteor strike, megatsunami etc) that if you find a can of what you consider to be food but the label has come off........

Nor me.

As an aside.....tinned pet food (dog/cat/wolf) by law has to be fit for human consumption.
This is because in the (unlikely) event that it is used in a survival situation (think of an EOTWS eg nuclear war, meteor strike, megatsunami etc) that if you find a can of what you consider to be food but the label has come off........
It might be fit for consumption, but you don't want to think too hard about what goes into it.

You can eat every part of an animal. Whether you'd want to is another matter. But then, in a survival situation, who cares?

Plus you can eat it straight from the can as (like all tinned foods) it has already been cooked.
I think the only exception being tinned fruits in syrup.

Nor me.

I was told (and I have no idea whether it's based on truth or just racist thinking) that it was because, usually, what's pictured ON the tin is what's IN the tin, and if you didn't speak the language, and you came from a culture that eats things like dogs and cats, and doesn't really keep pets, then you might think it was stewed dog for humans, rather than food for dogs.

You be careful when you go shopping in Greece then....................

1613737928909.png

Plus you can eat it straight from the can as (like all tinned foods) it has already been cooked.
I think the only exception being tinned fruits in syrup.

Why are they an exception? You can't eat them from the tin, or they're not cooked (I was sure they were)?

I'm immensely curious now!

....tinned pet food (dog/cat/wolf) by law has to be fit for human consumption.

lt amused me, when watching Mad Max 2 at the flicks, that after various killings, rapes etc., the only bit that got an euw! from the audience was the scene where Max eats a can of Dinki-Di dog food.

maximus otter

Why are they an exception? You can't eat them from the tin, or they're not cooked (I was sure they were)?

I'm immensely curious now!
Most tinned fruit isnt cooked as in its raw state it is perfectly edible, in fact usually better (with most but not all fruits) than when cooked, the syrup used also has a preservative effect (along with the added preservatives of course).
On a side note, mandarin segments have thier outer skin removed using acid, when the skin is dissolved the fruit is then washed with alkali to nutralize the acid :p
Anyone fancy a mandarin segment?

Edited for spelling (thanks @Peripart)

Last edited:
On a side note, manderin segments have thier outer skin removed using acid, when the skin is dissolved the fruit is then washed with alkali to nutralize the acid :p
Anyone fancy a manderin segment?

The acid even changes the spelling!:twisted:

Sorry...

Most tinned fruit isnt cooked as in its raw state it is perfectly edible, in fact usually better (with most but not all fruits) than when cooked, the syrup used also has a preservative effect (along with the added preservatives of course).
On a side note, mandarin segments have thier outer skin removed using acid, when the skin is dissolved the fruit is then washed with alkali to nutralize the acid :p
Anyone fancy a mandarin segment?

Edited for spelling (thanks @Peripart)

I think I'm going to count this as one of those things I didn't need to know. I used to love tinned mandarins. Admittedly I haven't had one in probably 35 years, but I remember them being so good.

As an aside on the eating dog food front, it's true that it has to be hygienically produced. I had a friend who worked at the Pedigree factory in Peterborough one year and at Salvesen's (vegetable freezing people) in Lincolnshire another year, and apparently if anything went on the floor at the dog food place it was instantly binned. The same could not be said for Salvesen's!

I think I'm going to count this as one of those things I didn't need to know. I used to love tinned mandarins. Admittedly I haven't had one in probably 35 years, but I remember them being so good.

As an aside on the eating dog food front, it's true that it has to be hygienically produced. I had a friend who worked at the Pedigree factory in Peterborough one year and at Salvesen's (vegetable freezing people) in Lincolnshire another year, and apparently if anything went on the floor at the dog food place it was instantly binned. The same could not be said for Salvesen's!
I still eat them, i especially like a mandarin cheesecake. I mentioned before on this or another thread, there were a few saturday staff at a pet shop i worked in the went to agriculture college, they visited the pedigree factory and were invited to taste the products.

Isn't it brought to a boil in the can, just enough to sterilise it before the can is sealed?

I was told (and I have no idea whether it's based on truth or just racist thinking) that it was because, usually, what's pictured ON the tin is what's IN the tin, and if you didn't speak the language, and you came from a culture that eats things like dogs and cats, and doesn't really keep pets, then you might think it was stewed dog for humans, rather than food for dogs.

Yup, I can remember coming across that idea in t'Guardian in the early '90s.

The version I read was that when the Iraqi invading forces took Kuwait they ransacked people's hastily-abandoned homes and made off with canned food from the kitchens.
A reporter claimed to have subsequently seen Iraqi troops opening and enjoying tins of Pedigree and Whiskas. :chuckle:

The point made in the piece was, as you mentioned, that you really need to know whether the picture on the can represented whether the food was for or made of the animal. ;)

Though a moment's thought would remind us as that dogs are unclean to Muslim people such as Iraqi soldiers, they wouldn't be eating anything labelled with an image of a dog. This occurred to me at the time but nobody was interested.

I've just had a strangeness! It seems to be all go in here since I started redecorating and moving the furniture!

I just went upstairs to find my fluffy trousers. As I ran up the stairs and got to the landing I heard a noise from the living room - it sounded like a tin plate falling on the floor, you know that kind of splatty sound they make? The dog, who usually jumps up at everything never made a sound, even though she was under her blanket on the sofa. When I got downstairs again, I found a piece of wood, provenance unknown, on the floor near the coffee table.

I have no idea where it came from, there's no loose bits of wood hanging around, and it wasn't on the coffee table to start with, as that's piled with all the clothes from the chest of drawers I'm moving.
IMG_1839.jpg

Here is the plank, in situ.

Im not sure, i was under the impression that was things that are cooked rather than in a raw state, for example i know heinz beans are cooked in the sealed cans.
It appears canned fruits sre pasturized rather than cooked, this site is quite interesting:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/food-science/canned-fruit

Tuna is cooked in the cans. I know this because another poster showed me a video about strange deaths featuring the Mossdale Cavern incident.
It also had an item on a tuna-canning factory worker who was killed by being trapped in an industrial oven. :(

I've just had a strangeness! It seems to be all go in here since I started redecorating and moving the furniture!

I just went upstairs to find my fluffy trousers. As I ran up the stairs and got to the landing I heard a noise from the living room - it sounded like a tin plate falling on the floor, you know that kind of splatty sound they make? The dog, who usually jumps up at everything never made a sound, even though she was under her blanket on the sofa. When I got downstairs again, I found a piece of wood, provenance unknown, on the floor near the coffee table.

I have no idea where it came from, there's no loose bits of wood hanging around, and it wasn't on the coffee table to start with, as that's piled with all the clothes from the chest of drawers I'm moving. View attachment 35575
Teleported there? How odd.

I have no idea where it came from, there's no loose bits of wood hanging around, and it wasn't on the coffee table to start with, as that's piled with all the clothes from the chest of drawers I'm moving. View attachment 35575
Not part of a draw or piece of the chest of draws youre moving?

Not part of a draw or piece of the chest of draws youre moving?
Not as far as I can tell. I moved all the chests yesterday and they are all stable where they currently are, which is not where the plank is.

That's an apport. You are very lucky! :cool:

(I like little lengths of wood like that. If one appeared in my house I'd assume it was a gift from Beyond. ;)

I'd sand and decorate it and screw brass hooks on it, and install it somewhere convenient.

Then I'd use up all my bigger fabric scraps to make little bags in various styles to dangle from the hooks, to fill with things I misplace like cough sweets/lip balms/specs accessories/metal straws etc.)

Back