• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

That's an apport. You are very lucky! :cool:

(I like little lengths of wood like that. If one appeared in my house I'd assume it was a gift from Beyond. ;)

I'd sand and decorate it and screw brass hooks on it, and install it somewhere convenient.

Then I'd use up all my bigger fabric scraps to make little bags in various styles to dangle from the hooks, to fill with things I misplace like cough sweets/lip balms/specs accessories/metal straws etc.)
It is, of course, just too small to be of any real use. It's about a foot long (can't do centimetres, sorry) and an inch and a half wide. On close investigation the top is 'finished' and slightly polished and the underneath is just plain pine plank. I just checked with the drawers that are down here, and the wood doesn't fit anywhere about them, it's too short to be part of their construction. It's more the fact that it fell onto the floor and I know not where from!

Not as far as I can tell. I moved all the chests yesterday and they are all stable where they currently are, which is not where the plank is.
Could it have been temporarily attached to a piece of clothing, having been loose in the draw said article was stored, maybe caught on some fibers and gravity finally won out (like it does) causing the wood to detatch itself from the article and hit the floor?

Could it have been temporarily attached to a piece of clothing, having been loose in the draw said article was stored, maybe caught on some fibers and gravity finally won out (like it does) causing the wood to detatch itself from the article and hit the floor?
That is an excellent theory. It is most probably what happened, to be honest, but, having not seen this bit of wood before and having taken all the clothes out of the chest before I moved it and refolded them, I don't think it was. And it fell from somewhere, a reasonable distance to make the noise it did. But I agree that it was probably just hidden under a heap of clothes, although what made it fall and where from, remains a mystery.

*nods* Yup, when a metal (apparently military shirt) button fell onto me on a Spanish Navy sailing ship. It landed hard, directly on top of my shoulder.
Im not going to ask what you were doing on a Spanish Naval ship :p

That is an excellent theory. It is most probably what happened, to be honest, but, having not seen this bit of wood before and having taken all the clothes out of the chest before I moved it and refolded them, I don't think it was. And it fell from somewhere, a reasonable distance to make the noise it did. But I agree that it was probably just hidden under a heap of clothes, although what made it fall and where from, remains a mystery.
Hmm something are better off not knowing :oops:

Why are they an exception? You can't eat them from the tin, or they're not cooked (I was sure they were)?

I'm immensely curious now!

This thread has moved quickly while I've been busy doing other things.
Who'd have thought that tinned food would get such an amount of coverage.
But yes, as others have said, fruits are generally pasteurised in batches before being tinned, and that's why the inside of fruit tins have that sort-of-orange-colour plastic coating on the inside, to prevent a reaction from the acidic fruit with the bare metal surface.
As I recall I saw a programme once which went into detail (Possibly a 'how its made' type of thing) and there were a few exceptions.
'Fruit Cocktail' I believe is canned before being cooked in steam cooker.

It is, of course, just too small to be of any real use. It's about a foot long (can't do centimetres, sorry) and an inch and a half wide. On close investigation the top is 'finished' and slightly polished and the underneath is just plain pine plank. I just checked with the drawers that are down here, and the wood doesn't fit anywhere about them, it's too short to be part of their construction. It's more the fact that it fell onto the floor and I know not where from!

So it's already nicely finished on one side? Get the hooks in. :chuckle:

Im not going to ask what you were doing on a Spanish Naval ship :p

It's a wooden training ship for naval cadets or whoever. Escette and I visited it in Barcelona a few years ago and I described it on'ere afterwards.

We had several digital cameras and phones between us to take photos with but they all failed, only to work normally when we left. The place was absolutely empty and spotless. I felt something land on my shoulder and heard the button bounce onto the floor.

I picked it up and still have it somewhere.

I used to have a special shelf for all the random little 'things' that I found that had no proper explanation for being where they were.

Since I moved I haven't had a place to put them. But now the actual 'shelf' is the random little thing that has no proper explanation!

I used to have a special shelf for all the random little 'things' that I found that had no proper explanation for being where they were.

Since I moved I haven't had a place to put them. But now the actual 'shelf' is the random little thing that has no proper explanation!

In which case it's a sign. Get yourself a couple of brackets and make the random shelf from the random wood!

*nods* Yup, when a metal (apparently military shirt) button fell onto me on a Spanish Navy sailing ship. It landed hard, directly on top of my shoulder.
Was the button attached to anything (like a marinero) ?

The minor strangeness is SOLVED!

I was tidying up the piles of clothing to be put away, when I happened to look UP. My ceiling is beamed and boarded between the beams. It seems that one of the boards has, somehow, come loose and fallen down. That is where my mysterious board came from.
How and why it came loose and fell down, is a completely different mystery....
IMG_1840.jpg

The minor strangeness is SOLVED!

I was tidying up the piles of clothing to be put away, when I happened to look UP. My ceiling is beamed and boarded between the beams. It seems that one of the boards has, somehow, come loose and fallen down. That is where my mysterious board came from.
How and why it came loose and fell down, is a completely different mystery....View attachment 35606
If something falls down its always a good idea to look up :p

Well I would have done, but I didn't know it had fallen down. As far as I was concerned it had just 'arrived'.
Thats fair ill give you that :)

At least youre not being assailed by ghostly carpenters :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed. I speak as a one-time dog food pie chef.
Not proud of it*, but he deserved every mouthful, as did his murderous friend with whom he shared it.

*Yes I am.

Heh! They didn't notice? Was the meat element exclusively dog food or just a bit mixed with other more regular meat? And was one of them actually a murderer?

What sort of self-respecting dog would abandon a bonio?

An old dog might! Our own mutt used to love them and other crunchy things. As she aged, she would daintily remove all the rusks from her bowl and eat only the soft things.

When she showed signs of toothache, she was taken to the vet, who thought she might not survive the anaesthetic necessary to descale her teeth, at her advanced age. It did not spoil her quality of life, entirely, as she lived to eat and went on eating for a few years after. :)

Winter squash, but not summer squash.
Chiles?

One of my friends rang to tell me that her friend,whom I also know had been taken to hospital after suffering a seizure.
She does have various cancers and looked awful when I saw her last week and we doubt she will survive.
I said to my friend, who had had various happenings to do with lost friends that if she comes to visit she will know that she is gone.
Then she said she was in her spare room wrapping a baby jacket she had knitted when she heard a woman's voice behind her. She had spun around as her husband was outside and of course there was noone there.

Had a weird email today saying I can apply for a personal donation.
I know it's a scam email but it's from a Charles Jones @ Herefordshire.gov.uk

Back