• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Expansion of the wooden beams that it was resting across due to the increase in temp in the house? (I'm guessing it wasn't nailed/screwed into place)
I don't know, I have to get up and investigate when I put it back. I did have the window open for much of yesterday, so that is probably the most logical reason. It's a removable board, because all the electrical cables that go up into the rooms upstairs are behind it, so probably it's just loose and resting across the beams.

I had a Minor Strangeness last night. Very minor and probably a misperception so don't hold your breath.

I'd woken up at three a m for a wee, gone down and let the dog out. Went back to bed and I think I'd fallen asleep again, judging by where my audio book was when I woke again, putting the time somewhere around four a m, when the dog started barking downstairs. She very very VERY rarely barks at night, so it woke me up. She quietened down quite quickly, and I started to go back to sleep again but was finding it a bit difficult as one does when suddenly woken. Then I could hear a sound. It was like the quiet sound of people talking far away, but in the house. I turned off my audio book to have a proper listen and it just sounded like two voices having a conversation but in very very low tones.

The thing is, this house is so small that anyone talking anywhere in it, just sounds like people talking. And you can't hear ANYTHING from next door, walls two feet thick, I often have to look out to see if their car is there to tell if they are home. But it definitely sounded like a low rumble of conversation.

Bearing in mind all my recent dreams about burglars, and people in the house, I went downstairs again, where it was silent. Fetched the dog up to spend the rest of the night in bed with me (she's the only thing I've got worth stealing!)

I did wonder if it was the fridge motor,, but I've never heard that before from up here, and it definitely had changes in tone and pitch, like voices. But it was around four a m so not a likely time for there to be anyone around conversing. And there was nobody outside, besides my bedroom window is open and I'd hear them as voices, not a rumble.

A strangeness!
That is strange, but I discovered several years ago that sound can travel in strange ways. I also live in a very small house with houses attached on either side, but I’d lived here for many years without ever once hearing my neighbors talking. Then very early one morning I heard muffled voices coming from the house on my right and it kept happening. Since my neighbor lives alone I asked him if he’d mind moving his TV away from our shared wall since I could hear it at night, only for him to tell me his only TV was downstairs.

So, we tested it by him turning the volume up and down with me informing him whether I could hear it or not until we reached a satisfactory solution. It was really strange because I can’t even hear my own downstairs TV when I’m upstairs and it’s not as if he has a hearing problem and had his volume turned up high. But we’d been (equally quiet) neighbors for over 10 years before this happened.

So, we tested it by him turning the volume up and down with me informing him whether I could hear it or not until we reached a satisfactory solution. It was really strange because I can’t even hear my own downstairs TV when I’m upstairs and it’s not as if he has a hearing problem and had his volume turned up high. But we’d been (equally quiet) neighbors for over 10 years before this happened.
Is there a chimney between the two of you by any chance? The sound might be travelling up the lum if his TV was next to where the fireplace used to be.

When Techy gets up early for a wet shave and I'm in bed, I can hear him swishing the razor in the basin. It sounds as if it's next to my ear'ole. :chuckle:

That is strange, but I discovered several years ago that sound can travel in strange ways. I also live in a very small house with houses attached on either side, but I’d lived here for many years without ever once hearing my neighbors talking. Then very early one morning I heard muffled voices coming from the house on my right and it kept happening. Since my neighbor lives alone I asked him if he’d mind moving his TV away from our shared wall since I could hear it at night, only for him to tell me his only TV was downstairs.

Had he had any pipes removed/changed/lagged or unlagged? I know sometimes sound can travel up pipes. In my old (enormous) house, the TV was downstairs in a corner of the living room but you could hear it as clearly as if it were in front of you if you sat on the loo in the little upstairs bathroom., because behind the TV was a cupboard that contained all the water pipes.

I'm still not sure what my voices were. I've not heard them again since, my next door neighbours don't get up until six and their TV is quite a long way from the connecting wall, over the other side of their living room. They are 'music' people, not Radio 4 people, so I've ruled out radio and this sounded more like two men having a sotto voce discussion about something, when they are a man and a woman.

Now, I know Phil the Greek is in the hospital, and he's 99, so even sitting too close to an open window can be lethal at that age, but I'm sure he is receiving expert medical care.

But the thing that is troubling me is this - I'm absolutely certain that a short while before I went to bed last night, maybe around 1130, I was clicking through the channels and when I got to the BBC News channel, the female newscaster (who I couldn't really say seemed too familiar - one of those ones that 'usually works on Christmas day when no one else will' types) sombrely reported "Prince Phillip has passed away after a short illness, at the age of 99".
"Oh" I thought, "still he was 99, so I kind of thought he was going to cark it!".
And yet, no mention of it today. So I'm guessing he's still with us.
But also no mention of him now on the BBC news website, unless you dig around a bit, and the most recent item from yesterday about Charlie visiting him.

Now, I know Phil the Greek is in the hospital, and he's 99, so even sitting too close to an open window can be lethal at that age, but I'm sure he is receiving expert medical care.

But the thing that is troubling me is this - I'm absolutely certain that a short while before I went to bed last night, maybe around 1130, I was clicking through the channels and when I got to the BBC News channel, the female newscaster (who I couldn't really say seemed too familiar - one of those ones that 'usually works on Christmas day when no one else will' types) sombrely reported "Prince Phillip has passed away after a short illness, at the age of 99".
"Oh" I thought, "still he was 99, so I kind of thought he was going to cark it!".
But also no mention of him now on the BBC news website, unless you dig around a bit, and the most recent item from yesterday about Charlie visiting him.
Definately nothing on tje news or interweb about it, although they seem to be prepared.
From google:
Once it comes to laying his body to rest, his body will be buried in the grounds of Windsor Castle in Frogmore Gardens. This is a very personal place for the Queen and Prince Philip as it's closed off to the public and is often where she walks her dogs.3 days ago

Was that TV or radio? We need to track it down. :chuckle:

Maybe the timeline of this reality changed.

I can scroll through radio stations on my TV.
So can I.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(Is it just me or is scargs unusually pendantic currently?)

They now have chocolate eggs with "pretzel flavored" filling in the supermarket. I have no idea what that means.

Wikipedia:
Salt is the most common seasoning for pretzels, complementing the washing soda or lye treatment that gives pretzels their traditional skin and flavor acquired through the Maillard reaction.

1613936013450.png

They now have chocolate eggs with "pretzel flavored" filling in the supermarket. I have no idea what that means.

Wikipedia:
Salt is the most common seasoning for pretzels, complementing the washing soda or lye treatment that gives pretzels their traditional skin and flavor acquired through the Maillard reaction.

View attachment 35687
You've been able to get pretzel M&Ms for a while, described as:

M&M's Pretzel Candy is crunchy, salty, sweet. Pretzel chocolate flavour sweets in a crisp coloured shell.

Screenshot_20210221-193858.png

What does salted camel taste like?

What does salted camel taste like?
My mom made some milloinare shortbread with salted caramel, it was very nice, the salt takes the sicklyness away from the caramel slightly. She was given a box of catering size bags of salted caramel (10 x 1kg bags) by her friend who works for Sainsburys in the bakery, which has now stopped making cakes and pastries on site.

My mom made some milloinare shortbread with salted caramel, it was very nice, the salt takes the sicklyness away from the caramel slightly. She was given a box of catering size bags of salted caramel (10 x 1kg bags) by her friend who works for Sainsburys in the bakery, which has now stopped making cakes and pastries on site.
Oh, caramel! I misread it as camel...

Back