• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Don't forget social media! I don't routinely use social media myself (beyond this forum, it this counts) but it works really well for lost people, pets and other stuff. The police, even at their very best, are not omniscient or omnipresent.

Back to 'dognapping' - in the next town along, an owner left two Labradors tied up outside a shop and they weren't there on the owner's return.

The post about it has been shared around Facebook -

Two male black labs have been stolen outside m&s at 6:15pm today, has anyone seen anything? Please can you help? We want to get them back to their owner!!!

Cab't help thinking, What kind of stoopid does it take to leave dogs unattended?

Yup, I know, people should be able to do that. :(

Two male black labs have been stolen.jpg

I've never left my dog tied up outside a shop. I don't take her shopping. If I do, I leave her in the car (short periods only). Not because I fear her being stolen, but I fear her biting everyone who tries to go into the shop, anyone who walks too close to her, anyone in the same post code and most of life on earth, really.

Yesterday my son (the one who lives in the flat where the mysterious online order appeared under the dining room table, never having passed through the front door) reported that they woke up in the night to find their washing machine going full pelt with a washload in it. They normally put their dirty washing in the machine, leave the door open (to prevent niffs) and only close the door when they put a washload on, about once a week. The machine is, apparently, really difficult to get the door to close properly (I've got one that's the same).

They were woken in the middle of the night by a noise downstairs (they live over two floors) which sounded like the washing machine, but they both agreed that they hadn't put it on and maybe it was next door. Girlfriend couldn't go back to sleep so went to check - and it was theirs, washing away. They have concluded that their ghost is of the helpful variety, but it is slightly disturbing them.

I am wondering, because girlfriend is epileptic, with her fits well controlled at present, if she is having 'lapses' or absences, and doing these things without realising. But I known little about epilepsy, so I don't know if this is possible?

The couple of people I know who have epilepsy report that the period of 'absence' displayed before going into 'full fit mode' is very brief, with only a mild precursor enabling them to recognise that a fit is coming and 'get safe', and even then only if they're quick enough.
IMO it is unlikely (though possible) that the 'absence' period of the GF is sufficiently long enough to allow time for filling the washing machine and turning it on etc.
Possibly some other mechanism is at work here so it might be an idea to get a medical opinion.

Back to dogs - I kept dogs for years and never once left them alone outside a shop. Wouldn't dream of it.
They weren't even posh dogs, just mongrels.

Just hearing once that a dog had been stolen that way would stop me. Even reading about it in a book would do the trick!

The dogs stolen from M&S were seen on CCTV being taken down the next street at a run by two youths. Looks opportunistic to me. Maybe thr boys stroked the dogs and took a fancy to them.

There's a big local campaign to get the dogs back, possibly on pain of the divorce of the owner who left them.
(According to Facebook they are both castrated which might be a hint as to future developments.)

They'll probably turn up soon.

Yesterday my son (the one who lives in the flat where the mysterious online order appeared under the dining room table, never having passed through the front door) reported that they woke up in the night to find their washing machine going full pelt with a washload in it. They normally put their dirty washing in the machine, leave the door open (to prevent niffs) and only close the door when they put a washload on, about once a week. The machine is, apparently, really difficult to get the door to close properly (I've got one that's the same).

They were woken in the middle of the night by a noise downstairs (they live over two floors) which sounded like the washing machine, but they both agreed that they hadn't put it on and maybe it was next door. Girlfriend couldn't go back to sleep so went to check - and it was theirs, washing away. They have concluded that their ghost is of the helpful variety, but it is slightly disturbing them.

I am wondering, because girlfriend is epileptic, with her fits well controlled at present, if she is having 'lapses' or absences, and doing these things without realising. But I known little about epilepsy, so I don't know if this is possible?
I know this is probably quite a different situation, but occasionally when i would wake up saturday morning, after a big night out on a friday, having put my washing on before i went out, i would go to put my clean washing in the drier, only to find it already in tjere and dry, i can only assume i did it whilst drunk with no memory of doing it, either that or i had a very helpful ghost.
Have either your son or his gf got any history of sleepwalking, there are many recorded incidents of sleepwalkers doing all sorts of things, including cooking and eating food, so putting on a load of washing is not impossible.

Just a few spooky buildings standing empty in Rotterdam and Gouda. Thy're all in prime locations, so I guess someone will tear them down soon and build some modern monstrosity in their place. The last one may be still in use, but it has a very eerie atmosphere.

spook1.jpgspook2.jpgspook6.jpgspook7.jpgspook8.jpg

Today I saw this double camera watching an empty overgrown field. It's just an enclosed small patch of grass. You can see the other gate in the background. My hypothesis is that there once was an oil well in this fieldlet (I like this word, but does it exist?). We have a few of these old wells around here, and they are still being watched over, long after they went out of operation.

camera1.jpgcamera2.jpg

Google streetview shows the camera wasn't there in 2008, but was there in 2014.
Schaardijk - Google Maps

There is a kind of seizure disorder that typically has absences and no other kind of symptom, but I think it's a situation of one kind or another. However, given your girl friend's history, it's really worth her going to the doc. If she's doing this she needs to know.

Is it just me, or are the windows all wrong on this? Narrow, small and in the wrong places.
Just a terrible thing to do to a house, those windows.
Maybe that's what gives the building its eerie feeling.

It's difficult to evaluate the building, because the photo was taken looking directly at one side or end of a structure that's clearly subdivided into three sections. I'm not sure it's a single residential house, and I'm not certain we're seeing its front. I'd like to see a photo from either side (relative to this shot) or at an angle to get an idea how extensive this structure may be.

No side of any inhabited building should ever look like that. :dsist:
Maybe a granary, that would be okay.

There is a kind of seizure disorder that typically has absences and no other kind of symptom, but I think it's a situation of one kind or another. However, given your girl friend's history, it's really worth her going to the doc. If she's doing this she needs to know.
It's not my girl friend, it's my son's. She is under the doctor with regular changes to her medication and a LOT of appointments, so I think any changes would be noticed very quickly. My son has no history of sleep walking, I can't speak about his girlfriend but would suspect that, because of the epilepsy, her sleep is monitored to check for night time fits.

One of them would surely have noticed the other sleepwalking? And the washing machine thing wasn't particularly late - they'd only been in bed long enough to fall asleep, not really enough time for deep sleep and getting up and wandering around.

I was thinking her 'lapses' may not be 'absences' so much as lack of memory. She has to take a LOT of medication and I'm pondering whether some of it may cause her to do routine type activities without properly digesting that she's done them, if you see what I mean. I can do quite a lot of housework in a kind of 'fugue' state, but I always know I've done it. Could someone, on medication, actually perform the tasks in a mechanical kind of way and then forget them?

Because it's either that, or they've got a ghost.

I keep the inside of my car obsessively neat and tidy. There is no rubbish in there and in fact nothing in there I don't know about, I regularly review this. Sunglasses, water bottle, phone charger...oh and a pine cone taken from near WG Sebald's grave and some flint from Arminghall Henge...different story.

There is nothing in there I don't know about.

I get into the car yesterday. Look over to the passenger seat and there is what look likes to be a folded up piece of white A4 paper sitting folded in half on the seat.

Odd I think...what could that be?

I have to admit I felt a weird little tinge of unease, felt a bit excessive for such a small thing.

I turn and pick it up. Unfold it and look. Was a little puzzled as I was reading it then realised it was a receipt for a bed I bought about 18 months ago. A reciept that I had not seen since the day I bought the bed (I'm terrible with things like that, I toss them aside and pay them no mind).

So yeah, there it was, neatly folded. Racked my brains and I cannot work out any way it can have got there. Minor strangeness.

I was thinking her 'lapses' may not be 'absences' so much as lack of memory. She has to take a LOT of medication and I'm pondering whether some of it may cause her to do routine type activities without properly digesting that she's done them, if you see what I mean. I can do quite a lot of housework in a kind of 'fugue' state, but I always know I've done it. Could someone, on medication, actually perform the tasks in a mechanical kind of way and then forget them?

Because it's either that, or they've got a ghost.

Ghost.

Nah, I'm going for the meds/forgetfulness explanation.

Besides which, as you say, it's possible to perform routine tasks 'mechanically' and forget you've done them.

An example of this is the front door. Most of us have suddenly got halfway to our destination and thought 'DID I close/lock the front door?'

We do it automatically but if we're distracted we don't remember.

(In Verne's Around the World in Eighty Days Fogg's assistant Passepartout is tortured throughout the journey by the knowledge that he left a gas light burning for which he'll have to pay for on his return!)

I keep the inside of my car obsessively neat and tidy. There is no rubbish in there and in fact nothing in there I don't know about, I regularly review this. Sunglasses, water bottle, phone charger...oh and a pine cone taken from near WG Sebald's grave and some flint from Arminghall Henge...different story.

I get into the car yesterday. Look over to the passenger seat and there is what look likes to be a folded up piece of white A4 paper sitting folded in half on the seat.

I have to admit I felt a weird little tinge of unease, felt a bit excessive for such a small thing.

I turn and pick it up. Unfold it and look. Was a little puzzled as I was reading it then realised it was a receipt for a bed I bought about 18 months ago. A reciept that I had not seen since the day I bought the bed (I'm terrible with things like that, I toss them aside and pay them no mind).

So yeah, there it was, neatly folded. Racked my brains and I cannot work out any way it can have got there. Minor strangeness.
Was it tucked behind a sun-flap at some point?

Or aliens. Yup, aliens.

Was it tucked behind a sun-flap at some point?

Or aliens. Yup, aliens.

Technically possible but very unlikely.

Hard to say it without sounding the world's saddest loser ha ha but - when I'm done with the car for the day, I take out anything that does not need to be in there. I give the area a look over and anything I don't need for my next trip out will be removed.

Is this process infallible? Nothing is. Is it possible it was behind a sunflap and dropped down onto the seat? Sure it's possible. But also, in my opinion, very, very unlikely.

So yeah...

Aliens :p

Reminds me of the time I was driving my car to work one morning and happened to look at the passenger seat where I found a phone charger with cord neatly wound round it - not mine not my partners -no one else had been in car (certainly not since previous night! The other curious thing about said charger (I still have it and use it) was that it is marked Bosch - since when did Bosch make phone chargers?!

Back