• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

The large circular tracks would be an attempt at 'donuts' by someone inexperienced as there is not enough room to complete a full circle.

I speculated about that, but couldn't these sudden angles and stops be the traces of a collision? The counterargument is that there's no visible debris.
1617464769836.png

I speculated about that, but couldn't these sudden angles and stops be the traces of a collision? The counterargument is that there's no visible debris.
Skid marks leading to a collision would be almost dead straight as a vehicle travelling at speed and then braking would have considerable momentum, plus most modern cars have ABS so a skid mark would be less likely. And plus, yeah, no debris.

I had possibly the most minor of minor strangenesses just now.

Out for a walk with dog, down the hill. We'd turned round to walk back up, road straight behind, sharp bend up the hill ahead and I heard the sharp 'ting-ting' of a bicycle bell. We're used to being 'tinged' at, as I don't always hear bikes coming up behind. So I stepped to the side, reeled in the dog and....nothing. No bikes anywhere. It sounded close by, but there was only farmland to both side and no sign of a bike anywhere.

Today we did a tour of old churches. This is a gothic portal in Spijkenisse with strange scratches.
I heard two theories about similar scratches:
- French occupation troops sharpening their sabres
- Pilgrims collecting church dust for medicinal puproses

Do you have more?

scratch1.jpgscratch2.jpg

Note: There must be many more of you who see such interesting details. Do you post them here dutifully? I like that very much!

Today we did a tour of old churches. This is a gothic portal in Spijkenisse with strange scratches.
I heard two theories about similar scratches:
- French occupation troops sharpening their sabres
- Pilgrims collecting church dust for medicinal puproses

Do you have more?

View attachment 37702View attachment 37703

Note: There must be many more of you who see such interesting details. Do you post them here dutifully? I like that very much!
This is fascinating and totally new to me, from the stories you have heard is the specific to mainland northern europe? Do these stories you heard define era these scratches are from?

This is fascinating and totally new to me, from the stories you have heard is the specific to mainland northern europe? Do these stories you heard define era these scratches are from?

I looked it up in the guidebook. There is one extra theory:
- people used the dust from the soft natural stone to clean their eating utensils
The guidebook says this is a well known phenomenon, these scratches on church portals.

Here is my very own Minor Strangeness:
Yesterday morning, I passed a house I walk by all the time, and notice a motorcycle that wasn't there before.
I don't know motorcycles, so I couldn't tell you the model, but I noted the tank was green.
(Green motorcycles, I was once told, are unlucky.)

Same day, I walk back in the other direction and see the motorcycle's tank is black!
This morning, walked by again, in the original direction—it's still black.

The motorcycle hasn't moved, it's in the same spot. :thought:

Was the motorcycle tank replaced or exchanged?

This is a real brain teaser.

By the way, I also do not know anything about motorcycles.

My mom called motorcycles widow makers.

I don't know motorcycles, so I couldn't tell you the model, but I noted the tank was green. ...
Same day, I walk back in the other direction and see the motorcycle's tank is black! ...

Did the green color (in your first observation) look out of place? What color(s) are the rest of the motorcycle's components?

@IbisNibs

Was it a particularly dark green? I know that when the Jaguar Formula 1 team was reborn in 2000 the were originally going to go with a 'british racing green' livey, which was their original colour back in the day, but had to change it for a lighter shade as in some lighting contitions it looked black.

Last edited:
Yesterday morning, I passed a house I walk by all the time, and notice a motorcycle that wasn't there before.
I don't know motorcycles, so I couldn't tell you the model, but I noted the tank was green.

Same day, I walk back in the other direction and see the motorcycle's tank is black!

I can't account for your motorcycle tank thing (a quick respray during the day?) but it did remind me of something that happened years ago. I'd cycle to work and one of the fields I would pass was blue in the morning and green in the evening when I went home. It was weird and I would look at it trying to figure out if it was some sort of trick of the light. Anyway one day I thought I would stop and examine the field. It was linseed. The flowers were all opened up in the morning and closed in the evening. Duhhhh... :chuckle: To be fair it is not a common crop.

As you have said you don't know motor cycles perhaps it was a different one?
Although the apparent colour change in different lighting conditions sounds as good an explaination. Wasn't there someting about a dress(?) that people saw as different colours doing the rounds a while ago?

Sollywos x

Yes, that dress sounded infernal!

I don't think it was a different motorcycle with a black tank, but for all I know it was.

No.

I didn't really notice. Not even on the second day! :oops:

Yes.
Intriguing. Could possibly be that the tank was painted in one of those chameleon type paints which do change colour according to light conditions. Dark green is one of the more common ones. More likely to be an interdimensional bike, which forgets to changes it's colour between trips.

Intriguing. Could possibly be that the tank was painted in one of those chameleon type paints which do change colour according to light conditions. Dark green is one of the more common ones. More likely to be an interdimensional bike, which forgets to changes it's colour between trips.

Rover 75s sometimes came with polychromatic paint schemes.....I think that’s the correct term.

1618427017961.jpeg

Spectre IIRC....Even the Rover 200 had one - Amaranth.
Also a favourite for some time for TVR (where some quantities of this type of paint seemed to "evaporate" from the factory) and also would you believe Nissan Micras. A beggar to blend in if damaged.

Also a favourite for some time for TVR (where some quantities of this type of paint seemed to "evaporate" from the factory) and also would you believe Nissan Micras. A beggar to blend in if damaged.
I suppose it made your TVR a nice orniment to look at on your drive when it wasnt working, which was most of the time :hahazebs:

A dearth of Strange Things in our household recently, but something a bit funny during the week. A Bagpuss cat bean bag type figure about 6" high resides in the corner of the bedroom on a wooden box about 18" tall. Leans against a large teddy bear because it won't sit on it's own without falling over. Get up early doors on Wednesday morning to find said Bagpuss sitting upright on it's own on the floor about 6 feet away from it's usual place. Ah - the cats you say. Nope, upstairs bedroom cat never messes with these things nor does she pick up anything in her mouth nor does downstairs cat dare venture into her housemate's territory. I would have guessed at me getting up during the night and accidentally knocking Bagpuss off it's perch, but that would not explain how it ended up so far off it's box or how it could balance upright on it's own. Anyone got ideas?

A dearth of Strange Things in our household recently, but something a bit funny during the week. A Bagpuss cat bean bag type figure about 6" high resides in the corner of the bedroom on a wooden box about 18" tall. Leans against a large teddy bear because it won't sit on it's own without falling over. Get up early doors on Wednesday morning to find said Bagpuss sitting upright on it's own on the floor about 6 feet away from it's usual place. Ah - the cats you say. Nope, upstairs bedroom cat never messes with these things nor does she pick up anything in her mouth nor does downstairs cat dare venture into her housemate's territory. I would have guessed at me getting up during the night and accidentally knocking Bagpuss off it's perch, but that would not explain how it ended up so far off it's box or how it could balance upright on it's own. Anyone got ideas?

I thought everyone knew Bagpuss comes alive when Emily goes home :)

Back