• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Here they are by definition dried plums and so are dried fruit in the dried fruit section of the supermarket. If they were canned they would be in liquid and so would be canned plums.
They are definately tinned prunes here.

61W8SQfi0iL._AC_SX425_.jpg

You can get tinned plums,

unnamed (4).jpg

They are definately tinned prunes here.

View attachment 46628

You can get tinned plums,

View attachment 46629
So maybe overseas "prune" is a word for a related fruit? Cause that first can is a plum even has a nice little leaf on it. Generally in the US one kind of plum is used to make commercial prunes, but it's available as a plum also, the "European plum" variety.

So maybe overseas "prune" is a word for a related fruit? Cause that first can is a plum even has a nice little leaf on it. Generally in the US one kind of plum is used to make commercial prunes, but it's available as a plum also, the "European plum" variety.
I think the pic on the right of the tin is showing what prunes are from, the two others are what is contained in the tin.

I was put off prunes by school dinners - prunes & custard - just the look of it was enough. I don’t think I ate a prune til my late 20s. When I tried prunes & custard then, I realised what an idiot I’d been for 15 years. They’re just plums - who doesn’t like a plum?. P & C is a classic combo. I fancy some right now.

I think they only come in tins, I've never seen them in any other form.

I remember buying them as dried fruit and having to soak them. Seems a bit like cheating to get them from a tin ha!ha!

I've not bought any for a while, not sure why as I like them.
You can play the tinker, taylor, soldier, sailor game though
... richman, poorman, beggarman, theif ...You beat me to it prunes and that game automaticlly go together!

Sunday lunch and school dinner staple from the 50's 60's, trying to surrepticiously adust the number on your plate so as not to end up with the prospect of marrying a 'beggar man' or a 'thief' :)

I think the pic on the right of the tin is showing what prunes are from, the two others are what is contained in the tin.
Right ... All prunes are dried plums, but not all plum varieties are dried to produce prunes. The picture on the Del Monte can illustrates a fresh 'prune plum' and two prunes that may be made from its type.

I've not bought any for a while, not sure why as I like them.
They come as tasty
My grandmother loved prunes and swore by them to aid in digestion. I confess I've never eaten one, but I really like plums...though they tend to aggravate my stomach. Go figure.
People also drink prune juice for the digestion.That can't work.

Speaking of plums: Techy found my stash and ate the lots. That's 6 very fat ripe plums.
o_O
He won't dare get off the bike tomorrow.

OK, another minor strangeness. This laptop (this one 'ere, upon wot I am typing) has a dud battery. So I leave it plugged in and switched on all the time - it's very very old and takes about half an hour to boot up, I mostly use it for writing on so I leave it under the bed, dormant, doing its thing, until I need it.

Last night I needed to connect to the new network so I picked it up and opened it. Came on, I was just going into settings when it switched off. Sometimes the charger comes unplugged or the plug in at the side comes off, so it's not an unknown thing. I checked all these, but no, it was switched off at the plug. It's plugged into a strip of four beside the bed. I'd just got into bed and the only switch I'd flicked was my bedside lamp, to turn it on. No reason at all to turn it off.

I'm wondering if the dog could have managed to turn off the switch jumping off the bed? The socket is half under the bed and not very accessible and she tends to jump off the end of the bed, there not being much room at the head end, but it's the only thing I can think of. This is the second or third time this has happened, spread out over about a year. Surely, if it were the dog, it would happen more often?

I dunno....

I went on a course with a work colleague a few years back and we had to stay overnight in an hotel. I called around to his room in the morning around 7.30 to go down to breakfast with him and he was downing a whisky then. He then filled a hip flask to take around with him too, but, although I worked with him for a few years before that I had no inkling that he was a heavy drinker until then.
Techy told me today about an occasion on a freezing Scottish golf course when he offered his flask around for a wee nip.
Everyone politely took a sip each until the last player who downed the rest in one.

Seems he was an alcoholic who could have been a really great player if he could have stayed sober, poor bloke.

Techy told me today about an occasion on a freezing Scottish golf course when he offered his flask around for a wee nip.
Everyone politely took a sip each until the last player who downed the rest in one.

Seems he was an alcoholic who could have been a really great player if he could have stayed sober, poor bloke.
Sounds like my mate Steve, who was a golf pro once.

Back