• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Very Strange.
Ok, so my neighbour just called me to tell me that my car windows are open!
I went out there and 3 windows were fully open.
It has been raining all morning and the inside of the car was dry, so it must have only just happened.
I haven't driven it since last Tuesday.
It can't possibly have been caused by the 'global open' function on the key, as only 3 windows had fully opened.
how odd.

So I got in and started the car, and shut the windows, then the dashboard was telling me that the 'rear luggage compartment' (boot) was open.
So I went and found that was unlocked but closed down, so I shut that properly.

No other issues. Nothing interfered with in the car (it's a quiet street anyway). No other vehicles with their windows open.

I'm baffled.
Someone hacked your car for a laugh?

View attachment 49490

2022 replacement for the Morgan 3 Wheeler
I met my husband because I was being chatted up by this quite nice looking bloke - and I would have gone for it - but he mentioend he'd take me out on his Morgan. I panicked, thinking a Morgan must be a motorbike and so let another one at the same pub table chat me up instead and agreed to go out with him next weekend, purely to not have to go out with the other bloke, so I wouldn't have to "go on" his Morgan. Was gutted when I found out it was a vintage car thing not a motorbike at all. I'd have said yes, if I'd thought it wasn't a bike.

Still, husband did manage to get off with me - but only because I didn't know a car from a motorbike.

Someone hacked your car for a laugh?
Unlikely. People round these parts are fairly humourless in the main.
I'm thinking it's just a 'one off' something odd that happened, probably as a result of a slightly dropped voltage as I haven't driven it since last Tuesday.
But still, it seems odd, and it now means I'm going to be concerned and looking out the window every time I go past to check it.

Well it's some 4 hours later and it hasn't happened again (yet) so I'm just going to check on it periodically.
I did take it for a run up the A1 and back, just to make sure it was fully charged.
Mind you, I did have a new battery put on it at it's last service only a few weeks ago so I doubt that's at fault. But I guess the alternator could be not 100%. And that is unlikely as I would expect to get some kind of warning if it wasn't charging properly.
I also went through the 'reset' cycle of opening and closing each window and holding the switch down for 2 seconds on each too, just in case it was some kind of software glitch.
Fingers firmly crossed.

Foe some time my work colleagues & I used to use a car park on the edge of the Cotswolds as a rendezvous' point if we had to travel on duty via hire car, it being fairly central and accessible to us all. with nice facilities and room for our vehicles plus a great view.

There used to be some "nudge nudge" type comments and smirks from other people at work about this which was put down to envy due to our more exotic working practices. Eventually we learned the truth- this was the local dogging hot spot popular for its isolation as well as the stunning view across to the Severn bridge.

Between Bath and Dyrham park,* little slip road by the Toll house tea room. Lovely car park ideal for walkers, car sharers , dog walkers and picknickers.
There is a height restriction to stop coaches, trailers or the very tall etc, should your friend have a large vehicle to maneuver.

* neither of which would have anything to do with such beastly behaviour.

Just now when I went to take a swig, no bottle of beer. I went back into the kitchen thinking I'd somehow left it there but again, no bottle. There was three bottle tops on the worktop and two empty bottles in the recycling. I've looked all around the kitchen and the sitting room and no bottle of beer. I even looked in the fridge in case I'd put it back in there. I've only been between the sitting room and kitchen.

I daresay I'll find it in the morning somewhere odd and then remember putting it there and why.

Mystery solved. I searched everywhere today and as I am a minimalist, it didn't take long but still no bottle of beer. I've been busy most of the day sorting out my tool cupboard and going out for a long walk. This evening I sat down in my chair for computer time and I noticed a smell of stale beer which now I think about it, I vaguely remember this morning as well.

Somehow I'd must have knocked the bottle off the table next to my chair and it fell onto the carpet and rolled under the chair. Tomorrow, first on the list, get the carpet cleaner out.

Very Strange.
Ok, so my neighbour just called me to tell me that my car windows are open!
I went out there and 3 windows were fully open.
It has been raining all morning and the inside of the car was dry, so it must have only just happened.
I haven't driven it since last Tuesday.
It can't possibly have been caused by the 'global open' function on the key, as only 3 windows had fully opened.
how odd.

So I got in and started the car, and shut the windows, then the dashboard was telling me that the 'rear luggage compartment' (boot) was open.
So I went and found that was unlocked but closed down, so I shut that properly.

No other issues. Nothing interfered with in the car (it's a quiet street anyway). No other vehicles with their windows open.

I'm baffled.
An old boy I know was stood scratching his head in front of his garage one day, so I asked him what was up. He couldn't get the garage door up as it was catching on (what he presumed) to be his boot. There was a small gap of a couple of feet where I could just crawl under the door to get in and sure enough his car boot had indeed got wedged onto the garage door. This happened 4 or 5 times over the course of a month or so. Eventually we worked out that when he closed and locked his garage door, he kept his car keys in his hand and was accidentally simply pressing the 'boot open' button on his key fob without realising it.

Foe some time my work colleagues & I used to use a car park on the edge of the Cotswolds as a rendezvous' point if we had to travel on duty via hire car, it being fairly central and accessible to us all. with nice facilities and room for our vehicles plus a great view.

There used to be some "nudge nudge" type comments and smirks from other people at work about this which was put down to envy due to our more exotic working practices. Eventually we learned the truth- this was the local dogging hot spot popular for its isolation as well as the stunning view across to the Severn bridge.
In a job that involved driving to various towns I'd have places to stop and ring home, as all longer distance commuters do.

One turned out to be an infamous dogging site, when I sat for 10 minutes regularly at night dressed in a nurse uniform and never saw a soul. :chuckle:

Well it hasn't happened again, and I don't have a button that only opens 3 of the 4 windows. It's all 4 or none.
Years ago, my Dad had a Renault with an electric sun roof.
One cold winter morning, after it had snowed in the night, he found the sun roof open. This was a mystery.
My Dad decided that the cold weather had somehow created a short circuit that had opened the hatch and let in some snow (surprisingly little, it seemed).

Incredibly bright light though the front window last night only lasted a sec or two
wife says did you see that? she thought she was seeing things, no noise we can
hear cars pass so thought it was some little shit that got a super bright led torch
for Christmas.
Checked the outside cam this morning and saw this, it appears to be reflecting
the IR light from the cam and has some sort of roof mounted light it could also
be electric as it was so quiet, could be emergency services or Coastguard checking
for a house number but it is unusual.

Screenshot (244).png

Incredibly bright light though the front window last night only lasted a sec or two
wife says did you see that? she thought she was seeing things, no noise we can
hear cars pass so thought it was some little shit that got a super bright led torch
for Christmas.
Checked the outside cam this morning and saw this, it appears to be reflecting
the IR light from the cam and has some sort of roof mounted light it could also
be electric as it was so quiet, could be emergency services or Coastguard checking
for a house number but it is unusual.

View attachment 49929
Our new head-mounted lights are astoundingly powerful. Techy goes out at night to check around, as you do, and delights in illuminating a huge tree in the next street.
I've told him we'll be starting a UFO flap if he carries on. :rolleyes:

Our new head-mounted lights are astoundingly powerful.
On a car? What are they for? Or do you mean like a miner's head lamp?

I bet you could have loads of fun with miner's head lamps if you could switch them on and off quickly. Start all kinds of rumors and urban legends.

On a car? What are they for? Or do you mean like a miner's head lamp?

I bet you could have loads of fun with miner's head lamps if you could switch them on and off quickly. Start all kinds of rumors and urban legends.

Our ones do all sorts of tricks including flashing alternately red and white. :)
Amazon page -
Head Torch (2 Pack)

1800 Lux LED Headlamp with 5 Lighting Modes,Led Head Torch IPX5 Waterproof LED Flashlight, Head Torch Rechargeable for Fishing, Camping, Running, Cycling,Hiking,Reading [Energy Class A+++]

Cheap too, for two items. We're impressed.

Last edited:
I did some work on the laptop yesterday and stored it on my memory stick, which lives in my trouser side pocket. Except the stick isn't there.
I changed my trousers this morning for washing and transfered everything into the clean trousers, but don't remember seeing the memory stick.
I have just checked the bedroom floor, the sitting room, the laundry room, the rubber door gusset of the washing machine, the tumbler, work surfaces and the laundry itself to see if it went into the wash. No sign. Looked down the side of the car seat (stuff does occasionally fall out when driving) as last resort and found a pair of prescription glasses + case that went missing after shopping 6 months ago. Really need to find this stick before I go back to work - but where ?

I did some work on the laptop yesterday and stored it on my memory stick, which lives in my trouser side pocket. Except the stick isn't there.
I changed my trousers this morning for washing and transfered everything into the clean trousers, but don't remember seeing the memory stick.
I have just checked the bedroom floor, the sitting room, the laundry room, the rubber door gusset of the washing machine, the tumbler, work surfaces and the laundry itself to see if it went into the wash. No sign. Looked down the side of the car seat (stuff does occasionally fall out when driving) as last resort and found a pair of prescription glasses + case that went missing after shopping 6 months ago. Really need to find this stick before I go back to work - but where ?
Plugged into your laptop?

Check inside the washing machine?

Lining of the trousers. Also assume that you meant to put it in your pocket but didn't. Where would it be if not still in the computer?

Did you make yourself something to eat or drink after finishing your work? Is it sitting under something - book, laptop, cup?

Were you wearing a cardigan or hoodie with a pocket?

I changed my trousers this morning for washing and transfered everything into the clean trousers, but don't remember seeing the memory stick. ...

You didn't mention checking wherever it was you were working with the laptop (the place where you last knew you'd had / seen the memory stick).

You also didn't clearly indicate you'd checked everywhere you were between the time you finished working with the laptop and the time you changed trousers.

Back