• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Anyone any idea what this storage area could be for in this village just up from me? It's quite a big house above/behind, so I thought maybe for coal so the 'tradesmen' didn't have to be seen.
I would suspect it's a modified relic of a previous older structure. Have you got a satellite view of the house and grounds?

I would suspect it's a modified relic of a previous older structure. Have you got a satellite view of the house and grounds?
The doors are just above the red line.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-08 at 08-37-07 Google Maps_LI.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-04-08 at 08-37-07 Google Maps_LI.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
Anyone any idea what this storage area could be for in this village just up from me? It's quite a big house above/behind, so I thought maybe for coal so the 'tradesmen' didn't have to be seen.
Looks familiar.

Do you have a cat?
I do have a cat brownmane, but I can't see how she would have got through the cupboard doors
it was your lap as you took the trainers off. When you stood up it slid into one.
I’ve started to think along a similar line Scargy.

I reckon it was in a pocket that I didn’t check properly, and as I bent over to put the trainer on, it fell out my pocket and into the trainer without me noticing it.

It’s the only thing I can think of to be honest.

Maybe, but it's quite a way from the house. Also, the door on the left is much smaller, so why two doors?
If I'm looking at the right thing - the smaller door is just a single, narrow, entrance door, like a back door into the space behind (probably rear entrance to the property, up steps?) The other double door is into the bin store/mower shed. They probably do what a lot of people round here do with big houses, keep the actual Big Bins out near the pick up point, so they don't have to wheel them miles across the garden on rubbish day, and have smaller bins in the house which get emptied into the Big Bins. Also keeps the smell and flies a long way from their (no doubt very swish) kitchen.

The smaller door to the left is the entrance to a magical kingdom, ruled by a race of dwarven warriors.
The larger doors to the right are the entrance to a portal to a future dimension, in which android soldiers roam the landscape, killing 'mutants' left over from a nuclear holocaust.
The occupants of both the left and right doors battle each other every other Wednesday, especially if one accidentally puts something non-recyclable into the other ones brown bin, by mistake.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-08 at 11-40-57 United Kingdom.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-08 at 11-40-57 United Kingdom.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
I was just in a neighbours flat. He'd been watching Supernatural on Amazon Prime and he froze the video to chat with me.

The frame he froze it on had a bloke holding a copy of the Fortean Times.

The episode is called Night Shifter.

Perhaps it used to be an old ice house, but was converted into a bin store.
Ice was usually stored underground in a type of dug out underground room. It was taken from frozen ponds, etc, during winter and dumped in the ice store. Sometimes during winter the Victorians would fill wide flat buckets with water so as it would freeze easily when cold enough and use that as well and dump it in the ice store.

There's an old large house/mansion in a place called Ditchling near to Brighton that still has an original ice store in the garden. When the trap door is opened there is an old (unsafe) ladder that goes down to a modest sized underground room. Meat, etc, was also stored in the same place to keep it fresh. A sort of Victorian type version of the modern freezer as it were.

Ice was usually stored underground in a type of dug out underground room. It was taken from frozen ponds, etc, during winter and dumped in the ice store. Sometimes during winter the Victorians would fill wide flat buckets with water so as it would freeze easily when cold enough and use that as well and dump it in the ice store.

There's an old large house/mansion in a place called Ditchling near to Brighton that still has an original ice store in the garden. When the trap door is opened there is an old (unsafe) ladder that goes down to a modest sized underground room. Meat, etc, was also stored in the same place to keep it fresh. A sort of Victorian type version of the modern freezer as it were.
They weren't all underground though, some were built into embankments or were covered with an earth mound; here's one just outside Woking:

Ice_House,_Hoe_Bridge_School,_Woking.jpg

Our front door bell has just rang for the third time in about half an hour with no one there (or the time or place to hide). It's a very windy day so I'm wondering if that's the cause?. Perhaps moisture's got into it?.
Mystery solved .. it was just our slightly odd but well meaning next door neighbour. Even his wife had asked him "You did wait for them to answer the door this time? .." .. he'd decided to safe guard a parcel left outside for us ... without telling us ... then ring the door bell then run away and hide .. then shout over my back garden fence to proudly tell me his actions and give me the parcel ... I shook his hand, he looked pleased, we got back in the house and the Mrs muttered " .. fucking nob ..". :chuckle:

There's a very nice ice house at Montacute House in Somerset. I used to live just opposite and spent many a happy afternoon wandering the grounds. And, co-incidence alert - an ice house features quite largely in my new book!

There's an ice-house at Marbury Park in Cheshire. I used to take the kids to see it and to wander around the grounds in hope of seeing the famous White Lady or even the ghost horse Marbury Dunne. ;)

Lifted from an old book via Facebook -

Marbury Dunne was a famous mare belonging to the Smith-Barry family. The horse is buried in Marbury Hall / Park grounds. (near the Ice-house I seem to remember). 'Marbury Dunne formed the stake in a wager, that she could run from London to Marbury between the Sunrise and Sunset of one day. This she apparently did, with time to spare.
Unfortunately in the excitement which followed, the mare found access to a water trough, quenched her thirst and died from the shock. The epitaph on her grave stone read:-
Here lies Marbury Dunne,
The finest horse that ever run,
Clothed in a linen sheet,
With silver hoofs upon her feet.

My aunt and uncle used to have a similar construction on a farm in Vermont, called a root cellar but certainly capable of storing ice. It was dug into a hill and aside from a large stone door-frame and stone roof (which was covered with soil) looked exactly like what it sounded like. Farmers had used it to store - well - roots over the winter and my uncle kept the mower and garden supplies in it. Unfortunately it was identified repeatedly as a Viking construction I imagine for the same purpose and they were inundated by pests who wanted to see it. At first they were polite and pointed to it (20 feet from the 18th-century farmhouse, hole in side of a small rise), but eventually they put a gate up a mile down their lane and a no-trespassing sign.

So the pants are gradually being re-elasticised as they come up* and none have fallen down. :)
According to my Facebook feed I did indeed purchase many pairs of Tesco briefs 11 years ago. They'll be the saggy ones.
Everything else about them is OK so we're good to go.

*In the wash, I mean. Not every time they fall down and I have to drag them back into position. That'd be inconvenient.

There's a very nice ice house at Montacute House in Somerset. I used to live just opposite and spent many a happy afternoon wandering the grounds. And, co-incidence alert - an ice house features quite largely in my new book!
There's also an ice house near the river in the grounds of Shawford House just outside Twyford, although it's not open to the public at all.

Back