• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

This conversation reminds me of something I realized the other day as unusual.

Of course I only hear this during warmer months as that is when I will just hang out on my back deck. Whenever (during mid morning, I think, but now I'll have to pay more attention) I am on my deck, I hear a phone ringing somewhere in the distance. I live in a residential area with houses around me, and just a couple of streets over is a commercial area with a car dealership within two blocks of me.

It suddenly occurred to me when I mentioned it to a neighbour, that it is odd because I hear the ringing almost every time I'm on my deck and this has been happening for several years. My neighbour suggested that it might be the dealership's phones, but even so, why do I hear it every time and the "phone" is never picked up ie it doesn't abruptly stop ringing.

It suddenly occurred to me when I mentioned it to a neighbour, that it is odd because I hear the ringing almost every time I'm on my deck and this has been happening for several years. My neighbour suggested that it might be the dealership's phones, but even so, why do I hear it every time and the "phone" is never picked up ie it doesn't abruptly stop ringing.
Might be parked up mini cab drivers and their phones on loud speaker, or a neighbour using Skype?

... It suddenly occurred to me when I mentioned it to a neighbour, that it is odd because I hear the ringing almost every time I'm on my deck and this has been happening for several years. My neighbour suggested that it might be the dealership's phones, but even so, why do I hear it every time and the "phone" is never picked up ie it doesn't abruptly stop ringing.

I once lived near a car dealership, years ago. It was common to let the dealership phone ring over an intercom system so salespersons outdoors on the sales lot would know someone was calling. It was also common for people out on the lot to ignore the ringing.

According to Fox News TV a new fade of men sun tanning their testicles to increased their testosterone levels.
This is called “ Bromeotherapy “ which I had never heard before.
"Bromeotherapy" sounds like a combination of "Bro" mashed with "Romeo" + "therapy."
"Bro" has negative connotations for me, as in "Tech Bro" and "Frat Bro."
"Bromeo" would be related to "Bromance."
Besides being a name for modern snake oil and a way to develop skin cancer on one's privates, "Bromeotherapy" sounds like another term coined in order to mock those who use it.

"Bromeotherapy" sounds like a combination of "Bro" mashed with "Romeo" + "therapy."
"Bro" has negative connotations for me, as in "Tech Bro" and "Frat Bro."
"Bromeo" would be related to "Bromance."
Besides being a name for modern snake oil and a way to develop skin cancer on one's privates, "Bromeotherapy" sounds like another term coined in order to mock those who use it.
Please don't used the word 'mashed' when talking about testicles. It brings back the term 'mashed naggers' and makes me wince.

According to Fox News TV a new fade of men sun tanning their testicles to increased their testosterone levels.

This is called “ Bromeotherapy “ which I had never heard before.

I guess one could call it“ hot nuts “ therapy !

Actually heat decreases sperm production, and that is why the testicles are outside the body.
They...they seriously think this works? I mean, seriously?

Na but there will be money earned or should I say screwed out of
people selling accessory's, you know the kind of thing,

""Knacker Lacquer adds lustre to the cluster"

and no doubt other useless but expensive odds n sods.

So has the noise stopped now?
Yes, I never heard it again after that evening/night. The light bulb being on it's way out seems the most likely cause. It was odd it seemed louder near my front door and it carried on after I turned off the lamp and went to bed.

Maybe that wasn't the cause. Maybe it was. It seems a strange coincidence though. Who knows?

It's midnight here. pitch black outside and I just hard seagulls fighting in the lane way out back of my building.

I have always known seagulls to fly in flocks toward the setting sun every night until it's time to fly south for winter.
Maybe they are nesting nearby? Where I live, seagulls build their own rooftop village and live there over summer, ascended over the rest of us. I imagine it is a bit like the chimney scene in Mary Poppins only a lot louder.

I don't think they nest around here. It's way too busy an area. The more I think about it the more I believe it was just one seagull that I was hearing. I'm thinking that maybe it was injured and couldn't make the journey. There are a lot of stray cats around here. Maybe a cat found it hiding somewhere? I doubt a cat could harm a healthy seagull and I do believe the noise they make would frighten a cat away. I guess it would depend on how injured it was. I haven't heard anything since those initial cries.

Earphones have suddenly stopped working on the pc. Tried a new pair and checked all the settings- everything is as it should be there. Bloody annoying.

I stand on the kiosk in our supermarket, facing the doors. The huge glass windows that surround the shop are giving rise to the whole 'Pepper's Ghost' phenomenon all the time, so it looks as though cars parked in our car park are actually parked in the vet's car park across the road. The cars look absolutely real and solid, as though the are just parked at a slightly odd angle over at the vet's, and I only realise that I'm looking at a kind of double reflection when a car pulls out and drives directly through the car park barriers and onto the main road. It is driving out of OUR car park. i know what it is, but it still gives me a moment of weirdness, when I watch someone get out of their car, but instead of crossing the main road to our shop, they walk in through the door from the opposite side.

I'm on a week off (yay!) and taking the opportunity to update my music lists. The In House GP (also off this week) is using his Mac so I couldn't start stealing music off his playlist; he brought down the CD drive and suggested I rip a couple of new CDs in the meantime. Except that we couldn't find the whatnot that connects the CD drive to my laptop. It should have been in the drawer upstairs, but IHGP looked and couldn't find it, then I looked and couldn't find it. I checked the Welsh dresser drawers, the kitchen miscellaneous drawer, even the odds and sods drawer in the display cabinet, but no sign of it.
"Might as well put the drive away," said the IHGP. I'd put it back in the box when I suddenly wondered whether the whatnot had slipped down the back of the drawer it was supposed to be in, so I pulled it out and rummaged around behind it as best as I could without success. Then I started re-fitting the drawer onto its runners, and when I glanced down, there's the whatnot lying there innocently. I'm sure it was there all along, but odd that it took 3 trips to the drawer to actually see it.

It's weird isn't it when you can't see something that is there later?
The other morning I went out to get the newspaper from the drive and couldn't find it so thought they must be late. I started to go back inside and saw the plastic cover shining in the light right where I had just walked.
Now given I'm taking smaller steps and using a stick at the moment and I'd walked over that spot twice I wonder why I couldn't see it?

I'm on a week off (yay!) and taking the opportunity to update my music lists. The In House GP (also off this week) is using his Mac so I couldn't start stealing music off his playlist; he brought down the CD drive and suggested I rip a couple of new CDs in the meantime. Except that we couldn't find the whatnot that connects the CD drive to my laptop. It should have been in the drawer upstairs, but IHGP looked and couldn't find it, then I looked and couldn't find it. I checked the Welsh dresser drawers, the kitchen miscellaneous drawer, even the odds and sods drawer in the display cabinet, but no sign of it.
"Might as well put the drive away," said the IHGP. I'd put it back in the box when I suddenly wondered whether the whatnot had slipped down the back of the drawer it was supposed to be in, so I pulled it out and rummaged around behind it as best as I could without success. Then I started re-fitting the drawer onto its runners, and when I glanced down, there's the whatnot lying there innocently. I'm sure it was there all along, but odd that it took 3 trips to the drawer to actually see it.
Why am I hearing your post in Kenneth Williams' voice when I read this?

Was it perhaps coiled into a shape that you weren't expecting or something? I get an idea of the shape or colour of the thing I am looking for, and if I imagine the screwdriver (for example) to be red, I am completely unable to see the ORANGE screwdriver in front of me. My inability to see a sink plunger if it is lying down on its side, is legendary.

It seems in our house when my wife and I drop something on the floor, the item seems to travels father than it should.

Sitting at the tablet we eat at, she dropped her blood pressure tablet on the table and it bounced across the table and took a bounce and landed on the top of a Coca-Cola bottle.

My wife and I said at the same time, “ that’s impossible ! “.

It seems in our house when my wife and I drop something on the floor, the item seems to travels father than it should.

Sitting at the tablet we eat at, she dropped her blood pressure tablet on the table and it bounced across the table and took a bounce and landed on the top of a Coca-Cola bottle.

My wife and I said at the same time, “ that’s impossible ! “.
Do you live in a low-gravity area?

Back