• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

:lol: I showed him these posts last night and he said, 'You're all rotten! ROTTEN!'

Aahh, the joys of matrimony. 8)

He did say though that as he isn't running ME (Middle Eastern or otherwise) it can't be that, and furthermore no longer believes a single word I or anyone connected with this board says, now or in the future. :(

So, no change there then. :D

Great. The double bluff worked then (or is that a double buffer?).

The Escargo/Techy files are now available for download (MP3 format).

PM me daily for updates.

tilly50 said:
I think that I read somewhere that handwriting styles were learnt and so all those children taught in the same way ( would it be the same teacher or the same teaching method?) would develop similar script.
Zephyras makes an interesting point, does our handwriting reflect something in our genes? My eldest sons writing could be mistaken for my fathers, but my dad died several years before my son was born.

My Grandfather's writing looks exactly the same as one of my old Primary school teachers, so much so that when I got my end of term report I was convinced my Granddad wrote it! Their writing is also very similar to that of my Father in law.

My Grandfather is 76, my old teacher will probably be in his mid 60s now, as is my father in law, so I always figured a very set style was taught when they were in school so a lot of men for those generations may have similar styles.

Very minor, but it made me jump! I'm currently redecorating my kitchen and have a couple of boxes of kitchen stuff in the front room. Yesterday evening I moved them there. No body has been near them since. I was sat reading on the internet this afternoon when I was made to jump by a noise from the box. It sounded like something with reasonable weight dropped from the top to the bottom of the box. If I turn round, which I did, from my chair the boxes are directly behind me to the right (It's a small flat!). No one was there, there were no heavy vehicals going past or booming music, no noise from neighbours, ect. The cat was in the room but just roused from sleep and looked as startled as I did. Obviously it was nothing to worry about as he settled down and went back to dozing! :)

Sorry to post again but I'm going to waffle on so I thought it would be easier on the eye than editing the last post.
Ok, not long put the (Central) heating on as it got a bit chilly. Came back into bedroom, cat asleep on the bed. Again, heard a loud thump noise from the kitchenish area. Made me and the cat jump again. I decided to tell myself it was probibly something in the kitchen cupboard falling due to expanding/contracting from the heating. (Though there's no radiator near it, and I'd only just put it on.) Then, I heard a deffinate 'meow' from around the same area. I looked at the cat, it certainly wasn't him as he hadn't moved! Looked a bit concerned too.
Then came the 'aha!' moment. Sunny (The cat) died almost around this time last year (It was not long after pancake day. I'll never forget that one as he was so naughty it was funny. I think he knew he was going and wanted to pull of one last stunt. :lol: ). Sunny was a complete one off, incredibly intelligent, demanding of constant attention, naughty and nosey! He was so nosey that as I was moving in my flat he was jumping up on the bed, sofa ect as it was being carried up, that or getting under it! lol So I reccon that's who t is, come to nose at the boxes/what I'm doing, and comming back for an annaversery visit.
I'll update if anything else happens. :)

So what did he do on Pancake Day then?

Anyway, the best mate and her bf went shopping. She bought a green hat. Not, greeny, not greenish. Green. She put in on the bed (when they got home), went outside, and when she came back in it was blue. Not bluey, not bluish. Blue. Her bf confirms it. :wtf:

Wow. Green hats turning blue.

My car is an oldish Rover in 'British Racing Green', which from a distance, in daylight, often appears blue. I have taken photos of it naughtily being a blue car when it thinks I'm not looking.

It must be an illusion, as it happens when I look back at it across as expanse of grass when I walk my dogs.

The hat, though - if there were two customers buying hats, could the assistants have mixed them up? Just an idea.

Or if the light in the shop was very yellow? I bought a suit once that was an entirely different shade of blue in daylight than in the shop.

Yup, I thought of that too.
But as I always look at clothes in daylight before buying (by taking them to the front of the shop and holding them up to the window) I assumed that this person would've too. :D

I do this to ensure that everything I buy is green enough. ;)

I asked her and she said it definitely looked green when she got it home too. She's decided she can't handle owning a mood-hat so she's taking it back to get an actual green one and see what happens this time

LaurenChurchill said:
Anyway, the best mate and her bf went shopping. She bought a green hat. Not, greeny, not greenish. Green. She put in on the bed (when they got home), went outside, and when she came back in it was blue. Not bluey, not bluish. Blue. Her bf confirms it. :wtf:
Burroughs was right then, never leave a hat on a bed.

HenryFort said:
LaurenChurchill said:
Eh? Would you be so kind as to find the actual quote please? I'm intrigued!
Did he ever own a 'mood hat'? Where can I get one?

escargot1 said:
Yup, I thought of that too.
But as I always look at clothes in daylight before buying (by taking them to the front of the shop and holding them up to the window) I assumed that this person would've too. :D

I do this to ensure that everything I buy is green enough. ;)

Yeah, that's what you told the store detective, escargot! ;)

Mr_Seaweedski said:
HenryFort said:
Eh? Would you be so kind as to find the actual quote please? I'm intrigued!
"Never leave a hat on a bed" - immortalised in a scene from Drugstore Cowboy, in which Burroughs also appears. Pretty sure it came from one version of Naked Lunch or other, or maybe Dead Fingers Talk - its junky voodoo folklore. A maxim to live by anyway, I know I always do. Im serious, I do.

A few days back, I woke up, and heard music. Nothing particularly odd, except I was the only one in the house. And the music was from a scene in Akira, the only copy of which in a several mile radius was tucked away in a suitcase.

I later put it down to an auditory hallucination, on the grounds that I've had them before.

melody in a dream..a fragment

yes but have you ever woken up with a tune in your head you've never heard before? it's happened to me more than a couple of times; the last of which left me humming it all morning.. and then.. before it dawns on me (slight pun there) 'hey I should pen this',

*poof!*

it's gone. never to be remembered again.

akaWiintermoon said:
Sorry to post again but I'm going to waffle on so I thought it would be easier on the eye than editing the last post.
Ok, not long put the (Central) heating on as it got a bit chilly. Came back into bedroom, cat asleep on the bed. Again, heard a loud thump noise from the kitchenish area.
blah blah blah
I'll update if anything else happens. :)

Figured out what the nosie was, but not why. Outside my flat front door is a small landing, turn left and you've got the stairs, a small area to the left of the stairs, full of my junk, (Situated under the kitchen.) :) , but straight ahead a porch way and the front door on the left. Leaning against my junk is one of those two wheeled shopping trollies. The handle was tipped back (Where it wasn't before.), fair enough, it's a bit bent and dodgy, but the material bag bit has 'corners' sewn on the back that you have to lift over the trolly frame to hook on and off. Well that bit was slumped down. No sign of damage to the material or pulling, you would have to lift it first to get it off the frame. Nobody was in the hall all night, the cat was in with me, and besides, he would have had to completely knock the whole thing down and drag off the bag.
I presume that's what the noise was anyway. I must admit, I do occasionally get spooked by the hallway, it just feels like there's someone following me sometimes. But then maybe I'm just getting carried away with my imagination . It doesn't help that the can quite often rouses and just stares unblinking at the door and won't move until I reassure him all is ok.

P.S. I'll write about Sunny and pancake day on the cat thread at some point, as it'll be medium/long. :)

I don't like hallways much: they are a non-room, just a road between rooms, still and silent space with no point other than transit, and they're usually dim and shadowy and one can be watched from various vantages through empty gaping doorways.

Ugggghhhhh.

I've never liked the hall area at the top of staircases much :shock:

Yup, when you look down the stairs at the light coming through the front door glass, and there are plenty of shadows for someone to hide in... :twisted:

I used to hate that in a house where I lived in my teens. The whole stair-area was creepy.

My mother told me years later that every time she reached a particular step near the top, she felt someone trying to throw her down the stairs.
Every single time, without fail, she reckons. For over 20 years.
:shock:

I just got the usual staircase/front door willies.

thats weird coz' as i have been growing up my handwriting is getting extremely similer to my mothers so it may be a relitive of some description? maybe a distant relitive :?:

A few from the last couple of months -

this morning I woke up, checked the clock and saw it was 7:30. I thought "sh*t!", knowing I needed to be out of the house within 10 mins. Rushed to the bathroom, had a shower, got dressed at 500mph. When I was brushing my teeth I glanced at the clock - it was about quarter to seven. :shock:

Happened again this afternoon. I had to go out and pick a relative up from the station, checked the clock (different one) and thought 'nooo, ruunning late!'. I happened to glance at the time again just before I went out the door and realised it was ten minutes earlier than it had been last time I looked. Apparantly.

Can confirm that none of the clocks in the house are wrong. So I'm either losing it, or....well, losing it. :lol:

a few weeks ago I was walking the dog along a nearby track in the middle of fields, some way away from houses/people. I distinctly heard somebody sigh loudly, enough to make me pull my earphones out and investigate. There was nobody there except me and the dog, and I've never heard him make a noise like that. It's a good area for strangeness thinking about it - a few weeks before this and a couple of hundred metres back along the track, I distinctly heard male voices in quite happy, cheerful conversation, with no apparant source. And probably about a year ago, bang in the middle of where I experienced the previous two things, I glanced over my shoulder and saw what I took to be a woman wearing a big yellow waterproof coat following me in the distance. Something made me check back almost instantly and there was no-one there.

The 'woman' appeared in almost exactly the same place I heard the sigh, too.

there we go, had to get those out. :D

Perhaps mistaking the time is related to stress?

Mikko85 said:
...a few weeks ago I was walking the dog along a nearby track in the middle of fields, some way away from houses/people.

Can you take and post a picture of this area?

yep - will take the dog that way this afternoon armed with a digi cam.

The time thing's probably just me though, being half asleep. My life isn't half stressful enough to blame that! After leaving uni it's quite the opposite! :lol: So going mad is probably more likely. Ooh good. :D

OK, here's some Minor Strangeness :D . . . I've been reading the thread about "Dolls" here for a while now and a couple of days ago I began thinking back to those penny-in-the-slot machines in Blackpool Tower which operated pretty some creepy automata. This was in the 1950's when I was a small child and no-one thought it unsavoury for a five year old to witness miniature artificial people doing bizarre things in glass cases. Anyway, there was one exhibit called, "The Floating Lady" - a magician levitates a woman from a couch and she seems to hang suspended in the air. I didn't even know this was the title of the exhibit until a few days ago when I found a reference to it on the Web, when I googled Blackpool Tower/automata/collection or some such combination. This led me to a reference to the collection of one John Dennison (now deceased) who had bought the Floating Lady when these exhibits closed in the 70's. Frustratingly, there was no illustration and I was unable to find one on Google Images.
Tonight I watched a programme on Channel 4 where a family swap their current lifestyle for one of the `70's, complete with authentic telly programmes - (bear with me, please, I know this is a bit long-winded) - the children's programme offered was "Magpie", an episode from 1974. The special guest for that week was . . . wait for it . . . the last man to purchase The Floating Lady (presumablyfrom the Dennison Collection) :shock: There she was in all her glory!!! I mean, how the hell . . . ???!!! What are the odds???? I'll be careful what I ask for in future, in case I get it. ;)

:lol: Everything in the world is there to be learned. You just have to be in the right place to hear it. ;)

Re: melody in a dream..a fragment

Diabolik8 said:
yes but have you ever woken up with a tune in your head you've never heard before? it's happened to me more than a couple of times; the last of which left me humming it all morning.. and then.. before it dawns on me (slight pun there) 'hey I should pen this',

*poof!*

it's gone. never to be remembered again.

I remember in 1984 having this weird dream that involved a song.
I live in Christchurch, NZ and we have a rather picturesque river (Avon) meandering through the central city and some suburbs. At the back of the town hall, there's a rather attractive fountain next to the river and it is here that the dream takes place. For some odd reason, there was a stage erected that straddled the river. It's only about twenty foot wide here. Anyway, in the dream, I'm walking across Victoria Square, which is a grassed public area although in the year I had this dream, a road way went through it, yet in the dream, there was no road. Just grass, much as it appears now. I could hear some music playing and some singing. Sort of soft rock (I hate soft rock). As I got closer, I could make out the lyrics. "(something indiscernable and then)... such a disgrace, he was off his face. We're gonna shoot Gibson, shoot Gibson Grace." There was other lyrics along the same lines - something like, "gone without a trace, coz we're gonna shoot Gibson, shoot Gibson Grace". Okay, no points for great lyrics but at least I can rhyme in my dreams.
Gibson Grace, it transpired, was one of the guys that stole a huge payroll from a small town post office. The town was Lumsden. The post offices, way back then acted as banks. I'm not sure why Gibson Grace was murdered. He may have narced his co-offenders off. I know even less of why I would dream such a dream. I didn't know the guy. I never conciously thought about him and I'd never been to Lumsden.
http://www.dayout.co.nz/public-files/pi ... 556461.jpg
This is where the stage was straddling the river but I came from the left, so the angle was different in the dream. Not that you needed to know that.

I have a mirror in my front room that has been hung since I moved here (16 months now.). The day before yesterday I woke to come into the living room to find the mirror scewif (Hee, how do you spell that? Fro?! ), one of the nails had come out. Ok, I thought, it's on an external wall that has a recently broken drain pipe (Just needs reconnecting but I haven't got a ladder that high.), maybe the rain comming through it caused some vibrations or something.
Yesterday I'd had a shower and was sat in the living room. I'd been out about 5 minsish, long enough to have a fag anyway. I heard an almighty crash comming from that direction so went to have a look. The bathroom mirror was on the floor. ?? That room is a totaly different wall to the living room wall.

Back