• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Miraculous Apparitions

A

Anonymous

Christ on a chapati!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/2484195.stm

Hundreds of Christian pilgrims and other curious onlookers have been making their way to a church in Bangalore in India to see a chapati which has the image of Christ burnt into it.

The chapati - a loaf of unleavened bread - is one of dozens that Shella Anthony bakes in her oven in Bangalore every day. But this one she thought was different.

Burnt into it was what looked like the image of the face of Jesus Christ.

Shella Anthony took the loaf to a local church and word spread like wildfire.

Church officials say nearly 20,000 Christians have already visited the Renewal Retreat Centre to pay homage in front of the chapati, which has now been mounted in a glass case, and to offer prayers.

Father Jacob George of the Renewal Retreat Centre is convinced it is a miracle.

Mixed feelings

"We believe in miracles. Devotees are feeling blessed on witnessing it," he said.

Pilgrims have come from Bangalore and surrounding towns and villages, and it is not just Christians who have made the odyssey.

Hindus, too, have come to look at the eight-centimetre (five-inch) loaf.

Anil Philip, a young freelance journalist, says initially he was sceptical about the shape of Jesus emerging on the surface of a chapati.

"But after a couple of visits, I experienced a different feeling," he said."

"Christians are coming here out of devotion, the others are coming out of curiosity," said Anil Philip.

BBC Delhi correspondent Adam Mynott says that while some believe it to be a miracle others have ridiculed the apparition as a load of eyewash.

Blimey! The face of Myra Hindley has just appeared beneath my chips!

Oh, false alarm - just last night's Evening News. :(

All I can say is that if Jesus and his disciples all had beards as bushy as that one, I'm surprised anyone could tell them apart.

Whilst most religious iconography is probably just as wide of the mark in showing neatly trimmed beards, at least its consistent.

There's no doubt in my mind. This is definitely an image of Grizzly Adams.:D

They're going to be so disappointed when they find out it's only Che Guevara.

To me he looks like that "guru" the Beatles used to hang about with, whose name escapes me...

Was it Maharishi Mahesh Yogi or some such? I can remember he had a high squeaky voice . . .

At least the holy chapati makes a change from holy Islamic scripts in tomatoes and aubergines . . .

Carole

carole said:
At least the holy chapati makes a change from holy Islamic scripts in tomatoes and aubergines . . .

I've often wondered about that. maybe it's not koranic Script appearing spontaneously in aubergines. Maybe it really means that the Koran is actually written in an ancient vegetable language, spoken only by sentient legumes.

Or am i just asking for a jihad now?

[edit]

Maybe this is all part of Evilsprouts plan for world domination

As was said on I've got News For You it looks more like Osma Bin Laden or Hagrid from Harry Potter:)

http://www.bangkokpost.com/eyetpress/a160902.html

Frog lottery!( a story from September)

Rumours about the frog spread last week, when underground lottery gamblers in the southern province of Phang-nga claimed they got the winning two-digit number from a ''holy frog''.

The gamblers stumbled on the animal while joining a group of villagers trekking to a mountain in Village Group 4 in Taimuang district to pay respects to what many believe is a footprint of Lord Buddha.

As they were gathering water from the stone footprint, the villagers noticed that there was a ''gold frog'' lying nearby. They put talcum powder on its belly, rubbed it and presto! they saw the numbers ''6'' and ''4''.

Interviewed by reporters, Mr Choi Napitak, a former member of the village committee, admitted that the frog had become a source of hope for poor people.

''But I don't want them to be addicted to the underground lottery gambling,'' he told Khao Sod. Instead of doing nothing, Choi said, local officials should turn the mountain spot into a tourist site to create jobs for local people.

Several pages of curious Islamic prophecies were posted through my
letterbox a few months ago. One page was an account of how a
Doctor had conclusively proved that the human skeleton can be read
as "Allah is Great!" The case was slightly weakened by the way a
crude hand-drawn diagram of this miracle was labelled "An Actual
X-Ray". :eek:

Source
Jesus is on our fireplace Apr 4 2004

Lucy Ballinger, Wales on Sunday

GOOD Lord!

A Welsh couple believe Jesus' latest miracle has happened in their living room!

Rose-Mary and David Gower found this picture of Christ on their living room fireplace last week.

"The face of Christ appeared on Thursday and I know it was not there three or four days previously," said Rose-Mary.

"I do not believe in spirits coming back from the dead and think there must be some sort of natural explanation for what is happening. But my husband is a scientist and he is very sceptical."

The artist, who does ghost tours of her house in Treuddyn, outside Mold, says this is the latest in a run of supernatural images to appear there.

"On January 2, 1999 the first word appeared on the wall," said Rose-Mary. "It was the Welsh for 'peace be with you'. In that first month we had about 20 words come and go.

"Since then pictures, crosses and Welsh words have been appearing all the time on the wall and around the fireplace in a brownish stain.

"They come and go. The words always seem to have a virtuous or religious connotation.

"Watching the fireplace in our house is as entertaining as watching the television!"

The couple have tried in vain to make the living room more cosy for day-to-day use by covering up the evidence of their spooky housemates.

"I have tried to paint over the words and crosses," said Rose-Mary. "I mean, we do have to live here! But they still appear."

The grandmother also claims they share their house with the ghost of a monk, they have christened Brother Adolphus, nicknamed Brother Doli, and that furniture and ornaments "go walkabout", appearing in places they should not be.

But this is not the first time supernatural happenings at the house have come to light.

Seven years ago, an Irish couple reported seeing the Virgin Mary on their fields, and claimed the vision cured them of their ailments.

Rose-Mary said: "Just after we moved here the vision appeared, then people started coming to our field gate and seemed to report to having been healed after that."

Update: Jesus Of The Lava Lamp

Source
Teen sees image of Jesus in lava lamp

LANSING: Christian family adamant image is not a miracle.

BY LAURI HARVEY
Times Staff Writer

LANSING -- When 15-year-old Doug Gehring turned his lava lamp on before bed on Palm Sunday, he noticed the wax inside starting to take a familiar shape.

Doug called for his parents, Sherri and John, and told them the wax had formed into a likeness of Jesus, just before midnight at the start of Holy Week.

"I turned it on and I saw it," Doug said. "My heart kept beating. I was so surprised about it. It was just awesome. I wasn't scared. It was just amazing."

The normally black wax in the lamp formed a swirling shape, much like that of a spiral staircase. In the middle of the tall, reddish-purple swirl is what appears to be a flesh-colored likeness of Jesus' face looking downward, complete with a brown beard.

In one photo Doug took of the lamp, it appears that Jesus is wearing the crown of thorns. His mother, Sherri, likened the image to that of many renderings of Christ on the cross.

Doug, a freshman at Luther East High School in Lansing, was so excited about what he saw in the lamp that he called his brother, Chad, at Olivet Nazarene University in Bourbonnais and told him to come home to see it.

"At first, I wasn't really sure," said Chad, 23, who came home the next night. "I thought it would look similar, like an outline or something. I wasn't expecting to see the features so prominently."

As the week progressed, the family told a few friends and neighbors, who came by to see it. The Gehrings said they knew people would think they were nuts, until they came and saw it for themselves.

"Everyone just kind of gasps and then they say they get goosebumps or the chills," Sherri, the boys' mother, said.

The Christian family is adamant that they do not believe they have been visited by Christ, that the lamp or their home are holy or that they have been party to a miracle.

"We don't feel that we are any more special than any other family," Sherri said. "We think it is special that it happened, but we certainly don't believe that this is Jesus or that we're special because of it. What we do feel honored about is that the Lord has sacrificed, what he did for us."

The family plans to keep the lamp as it is and is being careful not to leave the lamp on for too long for fear it will heat the wax and lose the likeness of Christ. The Gehrings say they'll continue to show it to some friends and family members, but don't want a parade of uninvited visitors.

"It's just exciting that a 15-year-old can get ready for bed, turn on the light he's had for four years and see this," Sherri said. "He said to me, 'Mom, man didn't do this.'"

if you look at the picture of the lava lamp jesus you will notice that he wears glasses. that must be a first in JC iconography.

Jesus Of The Huddersfield Door

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040415/144/er390.html
Heaven's Door
COINCIDENCE? So some would say; but not us. We know that such is the power of the film that even an advert for The Passion can lead to miracles.

And so it came to pass that on the Mail's page that was pressed against Mel Gibson's vision of Jesus there appeared a vision of Christ.

Those not privy to this miracle can nip along to D&S Suppliers in Huddersfield where the same image can be seen in a £46 pine door.

You have to look really closely to see the face of Christ in the knot of wood. Then squint though narrowing eyes. Then loll your head on one side.

One who can see it is Philip Ader, who coincidentally manages the DIY store. "I've never seen anything like it," says he. "They all look at it and some scoff, but most are absolutely astounded."

Of course, only a true believer will see it and, if you can't, it probably means your spiritual father has abandoned you and you are now on a collision course with Hell.

You can read all about that in Revelations...

Anyone know more of this? Is it big joke?:p

When I stripped the wallpaper in our old house beside the front door, there was a stain on the plaster which looked remarkably like yer stereotypical Jesus.

However, as
a. the ex sported a truly Biblically-proportioned beard at the time (think an Amish granddad who's been excommunicated for Frivolous Over-Indulgence In Facial Hair :D ) and

b. we were not particularly xtian-minded peeps,

the stain was roundly ridiculed and soon papered over, unrecorded and unlamented.

Yup, I'm going to hell.
On the strength of a plaster stain.
:rolleyes:

Cross examination

Glowing image draws believers, curiosity-seekers

Andrew Griffin / Staff Reporter
Posted on June 10, 2004

In a window in a simple bathroom in a modest house in the Kelleyland subdivision, the image of an illuminated cross has captured the attention, not only of the homeowners, but residents throughout the city.

For the Cross family, the mysterious image of a cross, which appears in their frosted-glass bathroom window, is a good omen that God is watching over them.

Some see one cross. Others see many. Some see images of a crown of thorns or an angel. Everyone seems to interpret the image differently.

If you visit Shirley Cross' house at 1804 Dublin Road, preferably after 8:30 p.m., chances are you'll see neighbors directing traffic and throngs of people waiting to stand in the Cross' family bathtub to see the glowing image.

On Monday, about 50 people waited to enter Cross' house.

Charlotte Clark stood patiently for her turn.

"I saw something about it on television," Clark said. "I heard people talking about it, and I wanted to see it, too."

In fact, word of the mysterious luminescent cross in the Cross family home has attracted hundreds of visitors.

The cross-shaped light was first noticed in her opaque bathroom window almost two weeks ago, startling the family, Cross said.

Her daughter, 22-year-old pizza shop employee Roncey Miles, was the first to see the image.

"I was in the bathroom and looked at the window. I suddenly noticed a small cross," said Miles, who tried to get her mother to look at it. She declined.

A few days later, Miles saw the image again.

"When I came back days later and saw the cross there even bigger than before, my heart dropped," Miles said.

This time, Miles said, she got her mother and others to look at the image.

Cross and Miles felt something important was going on.

"I think it's a sign from God," Miles said.

Cross and Miles soon had the Rapides Parish Sheriff's Office out there to see the cross.

"(The deputy) said, 'You've got a cross in your window,'" Cross said. "It looks like a 3-D picture."

Cross, who is a devoted Christian and lifelong Baptist, said that, for the family, the cross has not only provided religious inspiration, but it also has been associated with positive events in the lives of the family members and some visitors.

Cross' grandson, Eric, who soon will be entering the U.S. Navy, said after months of looking for a job, he finally landed one.

And that the family named Cross is now housing a mysterious cross image has not escaped these believers. "The Cross family with the cross ... ain't that amazing," Eric Cross said.

Most evenings, cars crowd Dublin Road, and pilgrims line up to view the cross.

Miles is pleased to see so many people who want to view it. "It's shocking to see so many people, people my age, people I went to school with," she said.

Keraneicia Aaron, 7, smiled after seeing the image in the small bathroom. "I think it means something to God and us," she said.

The most likely explanation for the appearance of the cross is a halogen streetlight near the back yard. The light, which shines on the opaque window, appears to form the cross-shaped image.

Behind the Cross' house is the Cabana Mobile Home Park. In the mobile home directly behind the Cross' is Ricky Beauregard.

Beauregard has been busy working on his car and has not seen the cross image. However, his daughter saw it and told him "it was something to see."

"I saw people out there who were lined up like for a movie ... like waiting to see 'The Passion of the Christ,'" said Beauregard, who added that he plans to see it.

Behind Beauregard's mobile home is the streetlight in question.

In the 20 years the streetlight has been there, it has never caused an image like a cross to appear, Cross said.

She is not worried about detractors and debunkers. Its appearance is affecting people in a positive way.

"If you think it's a trick, then it's a trick. If you don't believe it, you don't believe it," she said matter-of-factly. "I'm not trying to prove nothing. Go in, and see it, and then come back to me. Everybody's got a different story to tell after seeing it."

Jim Knoch, lead engineer with the Mandeville office of Cleco, said that what they may be seeing is light refracting in a way that a cross or plus-sign image is visible.

"It sounds like a double refraction," Knoch said. "The light may be polarizing in different directions: one horizontal and one vertical."

This combination of light emanating from a mottled-bulb source and coming through a frosted glass windowpane could easily give the appearance of a cross rather than a dot-shaped point of light.

From a religious point of view, the Rev. Buddy Martin, pastor at Christian Challenge Church in Pineville, said while he has not seen the image, he understands the attraction.

"I don't put much stock into those things," Martin said. "People are interested because their hearts are for the Lord."

The Rev. Donny Granvel of Mount Zion Missionary Baptist Church said he has heard about the cross image. He understands that in this society, people are searching for spiritual signs. However, going to church and reading the Bible are far more important for those seeking truth, he said.

"Faith should rest in the word of God," Granvel said, "not in a particular sign."

Scientific explanations and skeptical comments do not deter those who believe in supernatural possibilities.

Neighbor Andrewnette Sampson is amazed by what she has witnessed in the Cross' bathroom window.

"It was so amazing," Sampson said of the image, "so breathtaking."

Sampson added that she tried to get her Catholic priest to view the cross three times and was rejected each time.

Zelma Seals McCoy said prior to entering the bathroom that she had not seen the cross, but could "feel it."

Once in the bathroom, McCoy could be heard saying, "I see the thorns. I see the thorns."

After exiting the bathroom, McCoy said, "God is real."

http://www.thetowntalk.com/html/90B5A333-5197-4CB5-BADB-8B43B63B4267.shtml

padre pio simulacrum appears on statue of christ (of all pla

sorry i can't give you the link right now.

ITALIANS SEE VISION OF MONK'S FACE IN STATUE ROME, JUNE 18 (REUTERS) - THOUSANDS OF FAITHFUL AND CURIOUS ITALIANS HAVE VISITED A STATUE
OF CHRIST AFTER A WOMAN SAID SHE SAW THE FACE OF MYSTIC Monk Padre Pio appear on the bronze figure in the northwestern city of Genoa.
"The Cardinal of Genoa came to see it last night and he agreed that there was a face but said that further investigations were needed," Mauro Boccaccio, spokesman for
the regional government of Liguria, said on Friday.
Boccaccio said a woman was first to notice the face appear on Wednesday when she came to view the Christ of the Deep, a bronze figure of Christ that artist Guido
Galletti designed in the 1950s to be submersed under the sea.
Padre Pio was said to have the power to be in two places at once and to display the stigmata -- bleeding wounds in the hands and feet similar to those of Christ. He died
in 1968 and was made a saint in 2002. Some eight million pilgrims visit the town where he is buried each year.
The Christ of the Deep statue has been undergoing restoration work for the past eight months and is due to be returned to the sea on June 26.
"It's an icon for thousands of divers from Italy and from abroad, both believers and others," Boccaccio said.
Authorities were still planning to return it to the sea near the town of Portofino, though investigations into the vision could delay that, he added.
More than 5,000 people came to see the statue, which still appears to show a face, on Thursday alone.
"They're still lining up today," Boccaccio said.

REUTERS

the lava lamp one looks more like a creepy bug alien in shades and a turban to me.

Looks like a child's drawing done with charcoal or something.

Looks like a girl with a perm rather than Jesus

Re: padre pio simulacrum appears on statue of christ (of all

ginoide said:
sorry i can't give you the link right now.

Italians See Vision of Monk's Face in Statue

Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:48 AM ET

ROME (Reuters) - Thousands of faithful and curious Italians have visited a statue of Christ after a woman said she saw the face of mystic monk Padre Pio appear on the bronze figure in the northwestern city of Genoa.

"The Cardinal of Genoa came to see it last night and he agreed that there was a face but said that further investigations were needed," Mauro Boccaccio, spokesman for the regional government of Liguria, said Friday.

Boccaccio said a woman was first to notice the face appear Wednesday when she came to view the Christ of the Deep, a bronze figure of Christ that artist Guido Galletti designed in the 1950s to be submersed under the sea.

Padre Pio was said to have the power to be in two places at once and to display the stigmata -- bleeding wounds in the hands and feet similar to those of Christ. He died in 1968 and was made a saint in 2002. Some eight million pilgrims visit the town where he is buried each year.

The Christ of the Deep statue has been undergoing restoration work for the past eight months and is due to be returned to the sea on June 26.

"It's an icon for thousands of divers from Italy and from abroad, both believers and others," Boccaccio said.

Authorities were still planning to return it to the sea near the town of Portofino, though investigations into the vision could delay that, he added.

More than 5,000 people came to see the statue, which still appears to show a face, Thursday alone.

"They're still lining up today," Boccaccio said.

Its here:

Source

Emps

This one refers back to the image of the BVM that was destroyed - as mentioned here:

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12756

Group says Jesus is where Mary was

Shepherds of Christ Ministries hopes the image of Jesus on a glass window draws a crowd like the image of the Virgin Mary did.

By EILEEN SCHULTE, Times Staff Writer
Published July 18, 2004

CLEARWATER - To the faithful, Jesus first appeared in a photo of the multicolor Virgin Mary image at Drew Street and U.S. 19 on Feb. 5, 2001.

Albeit fuzzy, Christ seemed to peer out from her womb - contained in the two glass panels at the bottom of the building next door to Pelican Car Wash.

When the upper portion of the Virgin's face was destroyed by a teenage vandal in March, believers say the face of Christ started to become more clearly defined, his features unmistakable.

"He's appearing to tell us how much he loves us," said Rosie Reed, site leader for Shepherds of Christ Ministries, the organization that owns the building. "People are not listening to the message to pray the rosary and to give our hearts and homes to Jesus every day."

But why now?

"Since her face is gone, we have to focus on Jesus," Reed said. "Mary always leads us to Jesus."

Indeed, said Linda Garza of San Antonio, Texas, who was visiting the image with her 16-year-old daughter Brittany and other family members, "She did her part."

In fact, said John Weickert, president of Shepherds of Christ Ministries, "The purpose of her being there was to lead people to Jesus."

So although believers are still praying hard that Mary will reappear on the clear window panes that were installed in March at a cost of $1,200, they have a renewed confidence that maybe it doesn't matter after all. Even though they hope she returns, they believe her job to lead believers to her son is now finished.

"God allowed (the vandalism) to happen," Reed said. "He could have stopped it."

The figure is coming into focus at an opportune time. Where there was once a crowd of people gazing at the Virgin image, now there are just a handful of visitors on any given day.

"The crowds are down," Reed said. "We still owe $1,300,000 on the building. We need more people to come."

Shepherds of Christ maintains 24-hour security.

Reed said, "Everybody can see him at night."

And now that the presumed likeness is becoming sharper, more and more people can see him during the day, too.

But you have to stand in the right place to see him at all.

Reed said the best vantage point is the first row of plastic chairs, standing with one's back toward U.S. 19.

His eye is a dark blue mark at the top right of the bottom left pane. The window divider is his nose. The palm frond is his mouth.

When a reporter pointed out that she was having difficulty making out Christ's features, Reed said, "Not everybody can see him."

"When the wind is blowing the palm tree, it's even harder," she said.

One afternoon last week, Milagros Rodriquez and her mother, Carmen, visited the image.

"I came at nighttime and I saw the face of Jesus," said Rodriquez, wiping tears from her eyes. "I also saw baby Jesus in the arms of Mary. I see the face of Mary even when she's not here."

She said she cries standing on that parking lot because "When you come here, you feel that peace."

Unlike Rodriquez, Francis and Rose Flanagan of St. Petersburg could not see Jesus that afternoon.

"We have a picture of the image at home," said Rose Flanagan. "I just see Him in pictures."

Said her husband: "I believe He's here."

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/07/18/Northpinellas/Group_says_Jesus_is_w.shtml

Crowds Flock To See Jesus Image In Window

POSTED: 1:29 pm EDT July 21, 2004
UPDATED: 5:15 pm EDT July 21, 2004

Crowds are flocking to a hardware store in Rio Grande Valley, Texas, to see an image of Jesus that has appeared on a tinted window at the business.

Crowds flock to a hardware store in Texas to see an image of Jesus on a window.

The image first appeared on a True Value store window on July 19 and caused employees to wonder where it came from.

Since being discovered, the image has not faded.

People at the store agree that the image resembles the face of Jesus Christ with a crown of thorns.

"I go to church whenever I get a chance, but I'm not a spiritual person. I do believe, especially now," a resident said after seeing the window.

http://www.local6.com/news/3560255/detail.html

Ghanaians flock to see 'miracle'

By Kwaku Sakyi-Addo
BBC, Dansoman, Accra

Thousands of people in Ghana's capital, have been thronging to a Catholic Church where they claim the image of Jesus Christ has appeared on a wall.

They compare the image to that of the Biblical Virgin Mary who is said to have appeared at Lourdes, in France.

What they can see on one of the rough marble-stones inside a grotto in the church grounds is what looks like a human face the size of an adult's palm.

On Monday, the police had to be called in to prevent a stampede.

The image is more clearly discernible from afar than up close.

Miracle?

There are two candles flickering in front of the stone.

Some visitors to the grounds of the Margaret Mary Catholic Church at Dansoman, a suburb in the western part of Accra, reach out and touch the image, believing they will be blessed, or healed where doctors have failed.

Others simply kneel and pray. Some visitors have come all the way from Kumasi, the second city, almost 300km away.

Reverend Father John Straathof, the Dutch Parish Priest, said a member of the congregation drew his attention to the image on Saturday.

As the story spread, the crowds grew.

But Father Straathof was cautious about drawing conclusions. "Yes, it does look like a face," he said, "but I don't want to conclude that it's a miracle.

"If people come and see it and they believe it, and it makes them pray, that's okay."

He said he hadn't seen it previously, but that didn't mean that the rock might have looked like that before Saturday.

'Potato chip'

Many visitors and members of Father Straathof's congregation were a lot less ambiguous, saying that this was an epiphany.

For some, it's a sign that the end of the world would come before the end of the year.

One woman, speaking in between Hail Marys, said Jesus had chosen to appear at Dansoman because it was an unassuming place, and that this was in tune with his teachings about modesty and humility.

Others doubted there was anything of spiritual significance here.

One man thought there was no way Christ would make an appearance at Dansoman. There were far too many drinking bars and sleazy joints here, he said.

A taxi driver put it down as a poor painting by a prankster.

Another said if you looked hard enough at anything you'll see faces in the clouds, in the grains of a wooden desk, a potato chip, or a marble-stone inside a church.

---------------
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/africa/3976161.stm

Published: 2004/11/02 18:37:19 GMT

© BBC MMIV

Back