• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Miraculous Apparitions

This has got to me my second favourite Jesus apparition after the cheese toast:

Jesus 'seen' in telephone pole

The resemblance was reported by drivers on Highway 26 in rural Jeff Davis parish.

One of them, Rickey Navarre, told US television station KPLC: “It just caught my eye. I said to myself that sure looks like an image of Jesus hanging from the telephone pole.

“He might just be telling us something, you know, 'I’m looking over you, I’m going to answer your prayers.’”
Local officials were less inspired by religious fervour when they saw the pole and decided it was a safety hazard.

They said the vines were close to high voltage wires and had already been earmarked for cutting before their potential religious significance emerged.

After news of the potential symbolism of the pole came to light the officials acted even more quickly, in case someone tried to climb it to be closer to Jesus.

Mike Heinen, a local electrical manager, told KPLC: “We were getting to that one but since it had such notoriety we went and cleared it up today.

“For public safety concerns we don’t want anybody trying to climb the pole or trying to touch the vines.” He said a church might be a better place to go looking for Jesus.

Picture-2_1709646c.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -pole.html

Face of Jesus Christ appears on tree stump at Belfast cemetery

An image of the face of Jesus Christ has appeared on a tree stump in a Belfast cemetery.

The tree, which was recently felled at Belfast City Cemetery in west Belfast, appears to show the face of a bearded man resembling Jesus on the remaining stump beside a grave.

A video (below) of the mysterious image has been posted to YouTube, with the message: "An image has appeared on a tree stump in Belfast's City Cemetery.

"Upon close inspection, its hard to tell just how this image got there.

"Recently City Council employees trimmed trees in the cemetery, and as a result this phenomenon appeared."

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... z28I65i9EA

...and another one...

'Virgin Mary' draws hundreds of Malaysian Catholics

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Hundreds of Catholics have gathered in prayer and worship outside a Malaysian hospital after seeing an image said to resemble the Virgin Mary on one of the windows.

Pictures of the image have gone viral among local Christians on Facebook and large crowds have gathered at the Sime Darby Medical Centre just outside Kuala Lumpur.

Those assembled Sunday maintained they can now also see an image of an adult Jesus Christ just two windows away from His mother.

Nearly 100 Catholics were still at the hospital Sunday, lighting candles, singing hymns and saying prayers. Several tourist buses added to the congestion.

Some have come from as far as Singapore, over 300 kilometers (187 miles) away, to see the image on a seventh-floor window, which they describe as a miracle.

"We believe Mary, mother of God, has a message for us, as she is looking down on us and then at a Malaysian flag. We can also see Jesus and He is also moving, they are not static," Eunice Fernandez, who lives nearby, told AFP.

The 54-year-old housewife dismissed claims the image could be a hoax.

Sime Darby, which is primarily a plantations conglomerate, could not immediately be reached for comment.

Father Lawrence Andrew, editor of Malaysian Catholic newsletter The Herald, told AFP the Church would need to investigate and verify the authenticity of the images and "the experiences of the witnesses."

"It could be private revelations. We have to make sure they are not imagined but real apparitions," he said.

Catholics make up a sizeable minority in Muslim-dominated Malaysia.

As per usual, I don't really "see it".

Source: http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%2BN ... 82993.html

Man spots 'Jesus' on painting drop cloth

SAUGUS, Mass., March 18 (UPI) -- A Massachusetts man said an image that "looks like Jesus Christ" appeared on the drop cloth he has been using to catch paint for four years.

Brian Krantz of Saugus said he used the clotch several times before he noticed the image he identifies as Jesus in the paint, WHDH-TV, Boston, reported Monday.

"A crown or a halo. Two eyes. Mustache, nose, there's the chin, jaw line. His right arm out like that, with cloths he was buried in hanging down," Krantz said, describing the image.

"I can't deny this. This is what it is. It looks like Jesus Christ," Krantz said.

Krantz said he plans to frame the image and keep it in his home.

His girlfriend, Julie Anne Aloise, said she has a theory about what the image means.

"I'm not sure why, but everybody needs some hope in life. And I hope that this is something that will give him hope," she said.

Video at the link.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2013/03/18/ ... z2Nvu4sIcT

Looks more like Pete Townsend to me...
:roll:

Strangely, instant and miraculous apparitions seem to happen all the time in the cleaning product industry.
The Vanish girl,Mr Muscle,and the frankly disturbing Juan Sheet are all immediately on hand whenever a kitchen crisis occurs.
Perhaps it's something to do with cleanliness being next to Godliness.
I'm putting my money on the messiah being the bloke who advertises Cillit Bang.
The new sermon on the mount should be interesting "I'M BARRY SCOTT!!"
Afterwards the faithful might agree that there may not have been much in it about a paradigm changing religion,but on the other hand their bathroom taps have come up a treat.

Previously posted on the Guardian website,where it didn't get any laughs either :cry:

I think Juan Sheet is rather fun. A superhero for suburbia.

Florida woman finds religious symbol on Goldfish cracker
Patti Burke claims cracker is a sign from God

MELBOURNE, Fla. -
A Brevard County woman found more than she expected while eating a bag of Goldfish crackers, according to Local 6 News partner Florida Today.

Patti Burke eats two or three pounds of Goldfish crackers in a week, one by one, looking for the saltiest of the snacks. But only once has she found a sign from God on a little orange cracker.

“When I picked this one up, I knew he was special,” the Melbourne woman said of her Holy Week discovery. “He had a cross on him, and he had a crown circle up by his head. Something I’ve never seen before out of all the Goldfish I’ve eaten.”

Burke couldn’t believe it on Easter Sunday, when her pastor, D. Scott Worth, began talking about fish as a symbol of Christianity in front of the congregation of Presbyterian Church of the Good Shepherd in Melbourne.

The reason the fish became a symbol is unknown, though it could be the story of Jonah and the whale or Jesus feeding the 5,000 with loaves and fish, he said.

Picture and more at the link: http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Florid ... index.html

Zilch5 said:
Florida woman finds religious symbol on Goldfish cracker
Patti Burke claims cracker is a sign from God

Burke couldn’t believe it on Easter Sunday, when her pastor, D. Scott Worth, began talking about fish as a symbol of Christianity in front of the congregation of Presbyterian Church of the Good Shepherd in Melbourne.
The reason the fish became a symbol is unknown, though it could be the story of Jonah and the whale or Jesus feeding the 5,000 with loaves and fish, he said.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Florid ... index.html

The pastor is obviously not well up on early Christian history. He should look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ichthys

(I won't try to quote it, because it contains a lot of Greek letters!)

It's an imprint of a Philips screw head. Hardly a sign from God, but definitely a sign that there is a screw loose somewhere.

The business of belief: an intriguing vision of Knock shrine
‘Whether you believe in the apparition or not, the story itself is fascinating,’ says film-maker Aoife Kelleher, who has a keen eye for local stories that resonate

Thu, Aug 18, 2016, 06:00
Donald Clarke

Aoife Kelleher has a knack for locating stories that Irish people want to hear.One Million Dubliners, her documentary about Glasnevin Cemetery, played for weeks and weeks in the capital’s cinemas. The film was so popular that it stayed on even after a screening on RTÉ.

“It just kept being renewed,” she says. “It stayed on in the Light House [Cinema] even after that. We arrived at Galway Film Fleadh with no idea how people would respond and the response was overwhelming.”

She has now moved on to a subject that seems likely to draw in the same audiences. Strange Occurrences in a Small Irish Village goes among pilgrims, clergy and peripheral players at the Knock shrine in Co Mayo. There was a time when the town – site of an alleged holy vision in 1879 – was at the heart of the national conversation. We don’t hear so much about it now. What drew Kelleher to the story?

“It is a fascinating time to look at faith now,” she says. “This struck me as a very interesting way of doing that. Whether you believe in the apparition or not, the story itself is fascinating. Fifteen witnesses in a dark night in the rain. They tried to wake the priest but he wouldn’t get up because he’d already been soaked.

“We are at an interesting time. The role of the church is being questioned, but we’re not secular yet.”

Mixed signals
The film – whose title derives from a contemporaneous British newspaper report – sends out mixed signals about the health of the shrine. More than 1½ million pilgrims – many repeat visitors, admittedly – still turn up at Knock every year, but, as Kelleher says, “You can’t help but notice the white heads.”

A fightback is under way. Fr Richard Gibbons, the town’s parish priest, emerges as the hero. Relatively young, amiable, forward-looking, he seems keenly aware of the need to present a less creaky image of the shrine to the world. ...

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/f...n-intriguing-vision-of-knock-shrine-1.2759014

Miracle! They eyes of Jesus opens up on a statue in a church in Milagro, Mexico.
Probably CGI effects or someone taped open eyes(printed on paper) on the statue and filmed before and after.
The effects looks like something you would see on a childrens puppet show.

A cook was cutting potatoes at a Quebec seniors' residence when he decided to slice one lengthwise instead of across, as he usually did.

What he saw inside is being called a sign of a divine presence in the building.

"He saw it was a cross and he said, 'It's a sign,'" said Émilien Morin, president of the residents' committee at Le Mieux Vivre Residence in Grande-Rivière.

"He thought it meant 'I'm here' — a religious sign."

The sacred spud was discovered Aug. 22 at the Gaspé Peninsula residence by cook Alain Lévesque.

"He couldn't believe it," Morin said.

holy-potato.jpg

Alain Lévesque and Émilien Morin have been instrumental in preserving the potato. (Submitted by Gaston Lebreux) ...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/holy-potato-seniors-residence-quebec-1.3745333?cmp=rss

Over 2,000 people visit Knock shrine to see apparition
Updated / Saturday, 10 Jun 2017 22:45

Over 2,000 people turned up at Knock shrine in anticipation of an apparition, after a teenage boy claimed there would be one there this afternoon.

The boy claims to have seen a vision of Our Lady in Fatima last month and said she told him she would appear to him again at Knock, at 3pm today.

Local gardaí put a traffic management plan in place, in the event that large crowds would travel to the shrine.

The 14-year-old boy was among a group of people from the travelling community from Britain that travelled to Fatima last month.

He claimed he experienced visions there and that these would be repeated today.

A large crowd in the Church of the Apparition in Knock led to fears for the safety of the boy who claimed that he would have a vision.

The crowd dispersed following intervention by stewards.

Parish Priest Fr Richard Gibbons has discouraged such gatherings from an organisational and authentication perspective.

Details of the boy’s claims have been shared extensively on social media groups in recent weeks.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0610/881738-knock-apparition/

Looks as if Our Lady cancelled her appearance in protest at the Tory/DUP deal.

Vid at link.

Is this the Virgin Mary? Algae apparition draws crowds in 'Christmas miracle'
DEVOUT Catholic worshippers are flocking to see a growth of algae.

The damp photosynthetic organisms are growing underneath a pipe that leaks water in the central-western Colombian city of Boyaca. A young lad spotted the small leak running down the side of of the brick wall of a canal.

His mum said: “He says that when he crossed the bridge, he heard a sound, as if an animal was trapped there. When he turned to look, he saw the image of the Blessed Virgin of Guadalupe. He says that he immediately walked through the steam and began to take pictures of the image. At that moment, the image moved, and he was afraid, he knelt and prayed, and then he ran out to tell me.” ...

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/la...y-Catholic-algae-apparition-miracle-Christmas

Why does Jesus appear on toast?

Seeing faces in inanimate objects isn't anything new, and the word pareidolia has been in use since the 1860s.

An Instagram account called @things.faces documents some of the best. Our brains are highly tuned to see faces, and in 2014, a team of researchers from Canada and China dug into the neural mechanisms behind the phenomenon. Their paper, published in the journal Cortex, is titled "Seeing Jesus in toast: Neural and behavioral correlates of face pareidolia." It won an Ig Nobel Prize.

"Individuals often report seeing a face in the clouds, Jesus in toast, or the Virgin Mary in a tortilla," the researchers report. After observing the brain activity of individuals viewing face-like images, the paper implicates the right fusiform face area (rFFA).

The FFA was known for its role in seeing faces, but it hadn't been linked to illusory faces until this research. It's a small area of the brain that is part of the visual system, and based on fMRI imaging, it was active in people who made out faces from noisy images. It probably lights up in people who spot Jesus in their toast, too. ...

https://boingboing.net/2021/09/30/w...-jesus-in-burnt-toast-a-scientific-study.html

Padre Pio appeaes in Limerick. I hope he was wear a stab-proof vest.

One eye-witness said: "I could see his brown Capuchin habit, I could see that as clear as could be, and he was standing on his side.”

A bright light, which some believe to be an apparition of Padre Pio, photographed during a mass held in St Saviour’s Church, Limerick, on

Two women have reported seeing an apparition of the saint Padre Pio at a church in Limerick city.

The women, who are involved in a local prayer group which organised a mass to mark the 54th anniversary of the Italian saint’s death, claimed to have seen the apparition inside St Saviour’s Church last Friday.

Around 500 people attended the mass organised by the “Pray, Hope & Don’t Worry” prayer group, which is devoted to St Pio. The prayer group had erected an enlarged photograph inside St Saviour’s Church which they believe shows an apparition of St Pio appearing during a mass in the Limerick church in 2018.

The two eye-witnesses, Mary Tynan, originally from Co. Mayo and living in Limerick, and Nelly Cosgrave, from Ballybrown, Co. Limerick, said a bright shape in the photograph changed colour and evolved into a discernible figure of St Pio dressed in a brown-coloured habit.

“I think myself and Nelly saw it around the same time, it was absolutely amazing. I saw the picture lighting up, illuminating, it was wavering. You could see the light flashing on it,” said Ms Tynan. The photograph was taken in the church in 2018 by Cindy Russo.

“I saw the picture changing colours, it went all silvery and shiny, I was three seats back and it got so clear, this was going on for a while,” said Ms Tynan.

“The floor [in the photo] became very clear, and Padre Pio appeared like a breeze, right down to the front of the picture, I could see his brown Capuchin habit, I could see that as clear as could be, and he was standing on his side,” Tynan continued. “It was so real, it’s very hard to explain it to people, it was remarkable. I kept looking, I was shocked but what do you do? I think, because the two of us saw it, it proves that it did happen, I’m not taken-in easily. I know it happened, and I’m still trying to work it out."

Ms Cosgrave, 92, said she also became transfixed as the picture “became illuminated”.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40972787.html

Back