• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Miscellaneous Ghost Photos & Videos

I'm pretty sure if it appears three times on the same page of a thread...... :creepy:
I've only gone back three pages looking for it so far .. I'll keep going.

edit: found it though I've found this re-creation (fake) of it ..... I remember someone debunking it years ago saying the camera on tripod was set at a slow shutter speed, the person standing on a high step then stepping down creating the tall figure and stretched face effect. Who knows? ...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewebster14/7375336862

Last edited:
I'm one of those that believes in ghosts, I just haven't worked out what they are yet. I'm fussy about photographs, hopefully with the aim of weeding out the few that genuinely can't be explained. As we call unidentified flying objects UFO's and not space ships, it would be a step forward IMO to call ghosts UWO's, unidentified walking objects .. irrespective of whether they're moving or not ..

My favourite all time UWO pic is the one with the guy in his car about to drive his wife off on their honeymoon with dead Mum ghost sat in the back with glowing eyes. The only anomaly in the pic that suggest it's fake is that if you look at the white scarf around 'Mum's' neck closely, it overlaps the door frame. A chilling picture though but why would he want to fake a pic of his recently deceased Mum into a picture of happiness and hope other than financial gain or a sick sense of humour ?

View attachment 1160

Yeah I love this picture and also know about the overlapping scarf. I see you mention it but it always got me that most books and websites don't discuss what the f*ck is going on with dead mums eyes????

I still remember seeing it for the first time and the chill going right through me. I mean you wouldn't want to meet her walking down a lonely country lane at night.

Thanks for sharing that Ulalume. I immediately saw two faces in the window and after altering the images colour appearance found a few questionable looking faces. I bet if you look at it long enough though you`ll find lots. :)
Image%201_zpsikdmz6ux.png
Thanks for having a look at it, George. It's real a mess of pareidolia (or actual disembodied spooks? :eek:)

I do wish I had an answer for what is is - what created that effect. There was no fog, nor plumes of dust, nor any notable allergens, nor clouds of flying insects and it was not even humid that night - so what is the cloudy bit? If it were a patch of static electricity (just for example) would that alter a photograph somehow?

The fact that none of the other photos looked anything like this makes me believe it was something there, rather than being a flaw in the film or the developing process. But I can't think what (well, besides ghosts :p) would create that effect.

I've only gone back three pages looking for it so far .. I'll keep going.

edit: found it though I've found this re-creation (fake) of it ..... I remember someone debunking it years ago saying the camera on tripod was set at a slow shutter speed, the person standing on a high step then stepping down creating the tall figure and stretched face effect. Who knows? ...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewebster14/7375336862

He's wearing the same scarf as the dead mum in the back of the car!

Whooooooooahhhh...so what we're saying is...ghost aren't people...ghosts are clothing.....

(Cue end of episode Doctor Who music)

I'm one of those that believes in ghosts, I just haven't worked out what they are yet. I'm fussy about photographs, hopefully with the aim of weeding out the few that genuinely can't be explained. As we call unidentified flying objects UFO's and not space ships, it would be a step forward IMO to call ghosts UWO's, unidentified walking objects .. irrespective of whether they're moving or not ..

My favourite all time UWO pic is the one with the guy in his car about to drive his wife off on their honeymoon with dead Mum ghost sat in the back with glowing eyes. The only anomaly in the pic that suggest it's fake is that if you look at the white scarf around 'Mum's' neck closely, it overlaps the door frame. A chilling picture though but why would he want to fake a pic of his recently deceased Mum into a picture of happiness and hope other than financial gain or a sick sense of humour ?

View attachment 1160
I have read (and tell) a different story about that photo. It was taken on the 22nd March 1959 by Mabel Chinnery . She visited her mother's grave in a cemetery in Ipswich. She took a few pictures of her mother's headstone and the cemetray in general. On the way back to the car, she finished off the roll by taking a picture of her huband (who had been wiating in the car). And that picture is what she captured. She said that once the roll was developed, she recognised her own mother instantly.

I have read (and tell) a different story about that photo. It was taken on the 22nd March 1959 by Mabel Chinnery . She visited her mother's grave in a cemetery in Ipswich. She took a few pictures of her mother's headstone and the cemetray in general. On the way back to the car, she finished off the roll by taking a picture of her huband (who had been wiating in the car). And that picture is what she captured. She said that once the roll was developed, she recognised her own mother instantly.
I hadn't heard that version, thanks ! .. and responding to Moooksta, I've always wondered why ghosts turn up wearing clothes at all, it's not like clothes have souls (unless you count James Brown etc) so why aren't they all naked ?

Good point Swifty. When you see the archetype monk ghost it wears it's cowl....and I'm sure somewhere at some point I read of a ghost in armour. Ghost sightings where they've been wearing cowls have been reported.

The undead do have a sense of decency.

The clothing question seems to support the concept of ghosts as images or impressions left on the landscape or in a location rather than conscious spirits seeking rest or moral "closure."

It may settle the clothing issue but the "stone tape" theory is almost as problematic as the spiritual one. It does, however, take spiritualists out of the equation, which is nice! :p

I hadn't heard that version, thanks ! .. and responding to Moooksta, I've always wondered why ghosts turn up wearing clothes at all, it's not like clothes have souls (unless you count James Brown etc) so why aren't they all naked ?
Swifty, I've always wondered this too.

The full body apparition my stepsister and I saw, in the 1970s, was wearing clothes (fortunately as it was a creepy old man) but the weird bit is, he was sitting down but there was no chair visible. He was literally seated in mid air (also a little higher than we were - found out later the floor levels had been changed in the 1950s, before I was born but I didn't know that when I saw the creepy old man. So his clothes had ghosts but his chair (and the entire house he was sitting in - well the floorboards) didn't. I know it doesn't make any sense but because we couldn't see a chair - she commented on this as well - I have often wondered by we saw his clothes.

My dad, who was a total cynic, took it all in his stride when I told him, and he came up with what I now know is a stone tapes theory.

Good point Swifty. When you see the archetype monk ghost it wears it's cowl....and I'm sure somewhere at some point I read of a ghost in armour. Ghost sightings where they've been wearing cowls have been reported.

The undead do have a sense of decency.
I've always thought if I was a ghost, I'd come back as my 25 year old self. It makes total sense. Why would anyone want to be old? That said, why do ghosts frequent places they were unhappy? Wouldn't you just want to spend the afterlife somewhere you'd loved,not be re-visiting the scene of your murder or something?

Swifty, I've always wondered this too.

The full body apparition my stepsister and I saw, in the 1970s, was wearing clothes (fortunately as it was a creepy old man) but the weird bit is, he was sitting down but there was no chair visible. He was literally seated in mid air (also a little higher than we were - found out later the floor levels had been changed in the 1950s, before I was born but I didn't know that when I saw the creepy old man. So his clothes had ghosts but his chair (and the entire house he was sitting in - well the floorboards) didn't. I know it doesn't make any sense but because we couldn't see a chair - she commented on this as well - I have often wondered by we saw his clothes.

My dad, who was a total cynic, took it all in his stride when I told him, and he came up with what I now know is a stone tapes theory.
Come to think of it, I've never heard of apparitions of furniture either .. which is weird when people have reported ghost planes, cars, buses etc .. I'm a fan of the stone tape theory.

Maybe it's got something to do with the amount of energy being spent by ghosts of people, animals and machines that determines whether they get recorded through time?

Re: ghosts in clothes. One of the big anxiety dreams is appearing in public naked, do you think ghosts/spirits would be any less affected by their social strictures.

However, you'll be delighted to learn the Newby ghost was pronounced by the experts to be authentic!

No, it was pronounced by the experts to not be a double-exposure. Massive difference.

It's a great photo. For me, that's all I know.

I dunno, they seemed fairly convinced on the programme. I did hear it had been debunked since, though (probably on the Newby Church ghost thread).

I always thought the glowing eyes of Grandma Chinnery (hey, you can have that as an album title, someone) were reflections on her glasses.

I hear ya mate. However- as we know, anything can be "proven" just as anything can be "debunked". We'll never know the "truth".

Cool pic though :) freaked me the fuck out as a nipper and still gives me a chill!

Yeah I love this picture and also know about the overlapping scarf. I see you mention it but it always got me that most books and websites don't discuss what the f*ck is going on with dead mums eyes????
Reflection from glasses. That's how I perceive it, anyhow.

There are a few reports of naked ghosts, my favorite being a man who woke up during the night to see a long haired, topless women at the foot of his bed.....(topless as in boobies on show, not as in cut off at the waist)

If a ghost is an imprint of a past event it would be wearing the clothes that it had on at the time of the imprint, if a ghost is the continuing spirit of a human mind it would shirley decide to cover itself in clothes that wouldn't shock the person it is appearing too and also wear clothes that would help it be identified.

There are a few reports of naked ghosts, my favorite being a man who woke up during the night to see a long haired, topless women at the foot of his bed.....(topless as in boobies on show, not as in cut off at the waist)

If a ghost is an imprint of a past event it would be wearing the clothes that it had on at the time of the imprint, if a ghost is the continuing spirit of a human mind it would shirley decide to cover itself in clothes that wouldn't shock the person it is appearing too and also wear clothes that would help it be identified.

She's a ghost she's going to want to shock or what's the point?

Maybe if it's a spirit she no longer gives a shit?? She's probably thinking "no one will believe him and I always wanted to be more of an exhibitionist".

In fact I can think of at least 3 board members who'd do this...

Wasn't there a vicar who was embraced by the invisible ghost of a naked woman? Someone will remember the details better than me, I've read so many accounts I can't recall their sources these days.

Back