• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Miscellaneous Ghost Photos & Videos

Since I heard this idea from someone writing in to a paranormal podcast, I guess this might be the most relevant thread:

There are a lot of Victorian ghosts because of the Spritualist movement. The Spiritualists were able to bring them from wherever they came from, but unable to send them back.

@Anoyjoot & Brownmane

Sometimes I fall down the youtube rabbit hole and to my surprise, I found old episodes of chills narrating in a perfectly normal voice. It is hard to believe but, I think he does it out of sheer laziness. He does have a clip on his channel that supposedly answers the question why he chooses to speak that way but, I guess I"m just not interested enough to watch. :D

@Swifty, okay but what did you think of that little toddler saying goodbye to grandma at the graveyard and leaning forward with her head raised to give her a kiss at 20:05 ?

Interesting video clip, but man, that is some horrid narration. Yikes!

Last edited:
Just found this on the facebook page Weird Norfolk ..

'We moved into this house in Norfolk six months ago - when looking closely at the photos before buying it, I noticed a lady in the window. The house had been empty for some time, built in 1781 and would have had servants - she looks a bit like a servant don't you think? Thought I'd post anyway x'

anorfolkghost001.jpg

'We moved into this house in Norfolk six months ago - when looking closely at the photos before buying it, I noticed a lady in the window. The house had been empty for some time, built in 1781 and would have had servants - she looks a bit like a servant don't you think? Thought I'd post anyway x'

View attachment 24710

Green-faced with her bellybutton hanging out. Not your average servant-look but it is Norfolk.

View attachment 24710

Looks very much to me, like a 1920s/30s woman, but as Swifty said far too tall for the window... the proportions don't look right.

And that's aside from her half-transparent forehead under the window blind...

... two words spring to mind. 'shop' and 'photo'. Not necessarily in that order.

View attachment 24710
Looks like she's on the phone. Perhaps it's a woman standing in the street reflected in the window.

Since I heard this idea from someone writing in to a paranormal podcast, I guess this might be the most relevant thread:

There are a lot of Victorian ghosts because of the Spritualist movement. The Spiritualists were able to bring them from wherever they came from, but unable to send them back.
I've never looked this up but I'm wondering if as well as inventing Christmas, Dickens accidentally invented the be-chained ghost? Or was that already a thing by the 1840s? (Christmas Carol). One of my grandads (born 1891 so I guess, Victorian) claimed to have seen a ghost on the lane, complete with rattling chains but chains don't seem to be a ghost fashion anymore. To be fair he was probably on his way back from the pub. But still... period ghosts are a thing.

View attachment 24710
Ooh just joined that hopefully they let Yorkshirepeople in. I keep seeing links to their interesting looking podcasts because one of my husband's relatives presents some of them!

And yes, my bet's on pariedoilia.

I've never looked this up but I'm wondering if as well as inventing Christmas, Dickens accidentally invented the be-chained ghost? Or was that already a thing by the 1840s? (Christmas Carol). One of my grandads (born 1891 so I guess, Victorian) claimed to have seen a ghost on the lane, complete with rattling chains but chains don't seem to be a ghost fashion anymore. To be fair he was probably on his way back from the pub. But still... period ghosts are a thing.
Does a chained ghost mean it was in prison before it died and became a ghost, or is it a metaphorical chaining for something it did when it was alive?

Does a chained ghost mean it was in prison before it died and became a ghost, or is it a metaphorical chaining for something it did when it was alive?
Metaphor. Each link of its chain was forged during life by some sin it committed. Very christian, I guess. No idea if chained ghosts predate Dickens..?

...I'm wondering if as well as inventing Christmas, Dickens accidentally invented the be-chained ghost? Or was that already a thing by the 1840s?.

“The bells ceased as they had begun, together. They were succeeded by a clanking noise, deep down below; as if some person were dragging a heavy chain over the casks in the wine-merchant’s cellar. Scrooge then remembered to have heard that ghosts in haunted houses were described as dragging chains.

The cellar-door flew open with a booming sound, and then he heard the noise much louder, on the floors below; then coming up the stairs; then coming straight towards his door.

“It’s humbug still!” said Scrooge. “I won’t believe it.”

His colour changed though, when, without a pause, it came on through the heavy door, and passed into the room before his eyes. Upon its coming in, the dying flame leaped up, as though it cried, “I know him; Marley’s Ghost!” and fell again.

01.jpg

Marley’s Ghost

The same face: the very same. Marley in his pigtail, usual waistcoat, tights and boots; the tassels on the latter bristling, like his pigtail, and his coat-skirts, and the hair upon his head. The chain he drew was clasped about his middle. It was long, and wound about him like a tail; and it was made (for Scrooge observed it closely) of cash-boxes, keys, padlocks, ledgers, deeds, and heavy purses wrought in steel.”

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/46/46-h/46-h.htm

maximus otter

Last edited:
That means it's older, then, if he'd already heard it!

I just found this quote:

“I wear the chain I forged in life,” replied the Ghost. “I made it link by link, and yard by yard; I girded it on of my own free will, and of my own free will I wore it. Is its pattern strange to you?”

I guess Ebenezer's later life means he unforges the invisible chain he already has... Cool touch that Marley's chain is made from counting house paraphernalia. Mine would be made from booze and chocolate.

That means it's older, then, if he'd already heard it!

I just found this quote:

“I wear the chain I forged in life,” replied the Ghost. “I made it link by link, and yard by yard; I girded it on of my own free will, and of my own free will I wore it. Is its pattern strange to you?”

I guess Ebenezer's later life means he unforges the invisible chain he already has... Cool touch that Marley's chain is made from counting house paraphernalia. Mine would be made from booze and chocolate.
Its older than Dickens. Pliny the Younger wrote about Athendorus Cananites witnessing a ghost with chains.

A new one from Cornwall!

From the website of the local paper https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/ghostly-figure-photobombs-couples-church-4141130

"A couple have been left spooked after spotting a ghostly apparition lurking in the background of their selfie taken near a medieval church in Cornwall.

Craig Thomas, 35, took the picture earlier today with his partner Holly Leech, 27, during their daily exercise, after lockdown restrictions in the UK were eased earlier this week.

But it wasn't until they returned home, that they spotted a ghostly figure peering out from behind Craig's shoulder.

He said: "We live in Helston and went to Church Cove for a walk, we parked at the National Trust bit and normally walk from there to Poldhu.

"We took some photos of the day out from the same area, some of the view and selfies.

"Normally we just take the photos and don’t look at them 'til we get back and post them online."

Craig, who works in RNAS Culdrose's logistics department, said that later his partner noticed something unusual on one of the pictures....
"

97996303_2922496384643660_9066164959532023808_n.jpg

(Image: Craig Thomas 2020)

That's a good one! Any ideas, fellow Forteans?

Back