• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Miscellaneous Ghost Photos & Videos

I don’t know what the wooden(?) barrier is, nor how tall it is. Just looking at it, I thought that it could be a gull.
The barrier is a groyne, intended to prevent or slow down the movement of shingle along the beach. The post with a 'lampshade' at the far end of it is a marker to show where the groyne ends when it is high tide.
The beach at the edge of the army firing ranges at Hythe had new groynes installed a couple of years ago and the shingle replenished. The public beach just has shingle and some rock groynes and the shingle has to be moved back along the beach a couple of times a year.

beach works 317A0191.jpg

The barrier is a groyne, intended to prevent or slow down the movement of shingle along the beach. The post with a 'lampshade' at the far end of it is a marker to show where the groyne ends when it is high tide...

I reckon it might well be this groyne here:

Cleethorpes groyne.jpg

It seems to have lost a couple of horizontal boards on the nearer section since the above was recorded, but the dentition (yes, okay - but you know what I mean) matches towards the marker.

Doesn't really add much - although it does indicate to me that the tide was in a similar phase on the 'ghost' photo, and that the lighter section around the marker is the channel visible above, rather than spray (which it could just about be mistaken for in the misty image.)

The barrier is a groyne, intended to prevent or slow down the movement of shingle along the beach. The post with a 'lampshade' at the far end of it is a marker to show where the groyne ends when it is high tide.
The beach at the edge of the army firing ranges at Hythe had new groynes installed a couple of years ago and the shingle replenished. The public beach just has shingle and some rock groynes and the shingle has to be moved back along the beach a couple of times a year.

View attachment 66206
Well that's new info to me. Shingle and groyne. Is shingle meaning wooden? I have never been anywhere there are tides.

Oh dear. I just have to ask that which perhaps I should already know.

What is or are 'shingles on a house?'
Shingles are roofing tiles, or asphalt tiles.
I worked in a roofing company office for several years, my last job.
I've never seen 'wooden' shingles on a roof here, but there are different types of roofs - clay, metal, etc.

Yes, and off topic but shingles is also a disease (Chicken pox re surfacing) wonder where that fits in?
From medieval Latin cingulus 'girdle' (see 'cinch'). A loan translation from Greek 'zoster' lit 'girdle'. The inflammation was so called because it often extends around the middle of the body like a girdle.
Also perhaps from the French cengle lit belt/fence.

From medieval Latin cingulus 'girdle' (see 'cinch'). A loan translation from Greek 'zoster' lit 'girdle'. The inflammation was so called because it often extends around the middle of the body like a girdle.
Also perhaps from the French cengle lit belt/fence.
Thanks @Floyd1 . Wasn't there also the belief that if the rash joined up round your body that you'd cark it?

Isn't there an American phrase for an old-fashioned doctor 'hanging up his shingle' outside his surgery to show he was open for business? I assume it comes from the use of a wooden roof shingle as a cheap sign.
Sure - but I've never heard of a wooden roof shingle. Our weather is too treacherous for that, asphalt shingle roofs usually last 20 or more years.
They do, however, install wood sheeting underneath the asphalt roof tiles.

I had a very mild case of shingles some years back.
About 5 years ago I was in dreadful pain on my right side, after a week the shingles blisters came out, and this time it was nasty. The doctor didn't believe that I had already had shingles, he said that it didn't usually affect someone twice.
I know I had chicken pox as a child.

The beach at Cleethorpes is very shallow, you can wade out a long way (it's on the mouth of the Humber). Any object covered by water will only be just under the surface, so having waves break over would give white water and spume, a bit like the ghost picture.

I had a very mild case of shingles some years back.
About 5 years ago I was in dreadful pain on my right side, after a week the shingles blisters came out, and this time it was nasty. The doctor didn't believe that I had already had shingles, he said that it didn't usually affect someone twice.
I know I had chicken pox as a child.
It was my understanding that the herpes virus that causes chickenpox and also shingles, just lingers around in the body and can be reactivated by stress or other illness, and can recur any number of times. My mum certainly had it more than once.

Sure - but I've never heard of a wooden roof shingle. Our weather is too treacherous for that, asphalt shingle roofs usually last 20 or more years...

Cedar shingles (and, shakes, the slightly rougher alternative) are still definitely a thing in the US - although it might depend somewhat on location. Cedar is very resistant to weather.

Cedar shingles (and, shakes, the slightly rougher alternative) are still definitely a thing in the US - although it might depend somewhat on location. Cedar is very resistant to weather.
The company I worked for never used them.

It was my understanding that the herpes virus that causes chickenpox and also shingles, just lingers around in the body and can be reactivated by stress or other illness, and can recur any number of times. My mum certainly had it more than once.
Isn't it odd that different doctors have different takes on things?
Guess it depends on the person's system itself, and perhaps also the nervous system. My nerves are not good, my Dad suffered from ulcers and stomach problems, and I have acute stomach acid.

There's a great song by Thom Dolby called "Cloudburst at Shingle Street" (link below), inspired by Dolby's home on the Essex coast ... much covered by pebble shingles.

Back