• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Miscellaneous Ghost Photos & Videos

"Ghosts are actually manifestations of European microstates".

That's one of creepiest posts I've read here recently. Imagine the totally weird horror story you could make from it. It bends my mind into a pretzel.

LOL .. it's almost tempting to troll these morons with "What? .. are you suggesting ONLY WHITE PEOPLE can become ghosts? .. aren't black people GOOD enough for you to be able to do that in these more enlightened times even after they're dead!!!!!!! .. you people disgust me!!!!!!!"

........... and then strap yourself in.

Do you not think it's more likely (having read the complaints) that people are, rightly or wrongly, disgusted at people taking a cheery selfie at a place where people were enslaved, tortured and murdered? Would you react the same way to complaints about a similar selfie at e.g. Auschwitz?

Do you not think it's more likely (having read the complaints) that people are, rightly or wrongly, disgusted at people taking a cheery selfie at a place where people were enslaved, tortured and murdered? Would you react the same way to complaints about a similar selfie at e.g. Auschwitz?
Enslaved, yes but is there any evidence that people were tortured and murdered at this plantation? .. also, Auschwitz was an extermination camp deliberately built for genocide so that comparison would be too extreme and no, I wouldn't be impressed seeing cheery selfies at Auschwitz .. also this above picture was taken inside the home, it's not like they were all posing in the fields with cotton sacks over their backs, shackles around their ankles pulling 'LOL' faces .. I think the facebook objectors are over reacting.

Enslaved, yes but is there any evidence that people were tortured and murdered at this plantation? .. also, Auschwitz was an extermination camp deliberately built for genocide so that comparison would be too extreme and no, I wouldn't be impressed seeing cheery selfies at Auschwitz .. also this above picture was taken inside the home, it's not like they were all posing in the fields with cotton sacks over their backs, shackles around their ankles pulling 'LOL' faces .. I think the facebook objectors are over reacting.

Well, the people forced to work on the plantation didn't want to be there and some amount of torture, rape, and other violence was inevitably present. The myth of the "happy slaves and enlightened slave-owner" is just that. The plantation is obviously publicizing the possible haunting for commercial purposes as many locations do. I do find the cheery selfie in poor taste given the location, but it's probably the management's fault. Is it at all possible that the face at the window is simply someone in period dress looking in from the outside?

Well, the people forced to work on the plantation didn't want to be there and some amount of torture, rape, and other violence was inevitably present. The myth of the "happy slaves and enlightened slave-owner" is just that. The plantation is obviously publicizing the possible haunting for commercial purposes as many locations do. I do find the cheery selfie in poor taste given the location, but it's probably the management's fault. Is it at all possible that the face at the window is simply someone in period dress looking in from the outside?
We're getting off topic a bit but ..

Yes, slavery in all it's forms is abhorrent (and remember, slavery has been recorded for 1000's of years with some examples of black slave owners owning black slaves, in a minority status in the States and in much larger levels in their own countries) .. I agree abuse would have happened at Myrtles Plantation sometimes although not on the same level as Auschwitz .. it wouldn't make business sense for any plantation owner to randomly kill off their workforce that they've had to pay for for a start ..

I suppose if any of the white women in that photograph had ancestors who kept slaves then yes, it is in bad taste although still not those women's fault that this happened so long ago .. if they didn't, it's just a bunch of women happy to be together and recording that moment of togetherness. The White House was built mostly by black slaves and many a photograph has been taken there of people from all over the world smiling, not to mention the last black president. Is Obama guilty of bad taste for smiling at The White House in photographs now? .. as I was born in 1973, have never owned or wanted to own a slave and am proud of William Wilberforce and Elizabeth Fry (amongst others) who brought about the abolition of slavery over here in the 1830's, I won't be apologising to any black person who asks me to because their ancestors might or might not have been slaves, I'll sympathise with the plight of people back then but I won't accept any responsibility for it anymore than I'd expect today's Germany to apologise to me for WW1 and 2.

Last edited:
Is it at all possible that the face at the window is simply someone in period dress looking in from the outside?

I don't think they have African-American children running around dressed as slaves on a former plantation. That would be really asking for trouble.

I was wondering if it was a bust sat behind the window? There seems to be a squared off block at the bottom of the neck.
I hadn't noticed that, I see what you mean although zooming right into the face creates an oblong box around the nose area and a completely straight lined bottom of the chin. Would that happen just because I've zoomed right into it ? .. if not, I'd go with it being shopped ?

Here's the face in the window - I've made it black and white, and cranked up the contrast etc.

25iys89.jpg

This is the cropped original

2guywd5.jpg

If you look closely at the original (full) photo and compare the face-window with the window visible off to the left, you'll see that a significant portion of the features suggestive of a face correlate with the darker and lighter elements within those etched / frosted (?) windows' decorative pattern.

I don't want to be a grouch about this but I got interested enough to check the website of the location. It's clearly a commercial B&B in a renovated plantation house, not run by a local historical society, and the one photo that is an unexplained figure and may be the ghost of a servant girl is the lynchpin of their PR. They named the photo Chloe and their email address is chloe@. There is another photo posted of a child in a window that looks like pareidolia in longshot and suspiciously detailed in closeup, a child in a pose that you would expect if someone dressed her in her best, dragged her into a photo studio of the time (or maybe a little later) and told her to stand still. I'm not a photography person, but I've seen a lot of these possibles posted on this site along with the excellent analyses by people on this board, and I'm just sayin'. Perhaps someone has already examined this photo. So I'm really suspicious altough I don't know why all those nice happy ladies would take part in a fraud. On the other hand, the photo was originally posted on the hotel's page, no link to an independent person, and one of the commenters compared it to an existing performer's photo. I also decided that the whole damn place is in bad taste, you have to read their copy.

I was wondering if it was a bust sat behind the window? There seems to be a squared off block at the bottom of the neck.

I wondered if it might be something like that, or maybe a book cover or poster or something along those lines.

he sounded rather petrified

Yup. I'm very sceptical of most supposed film captures of ghosts, and I'm not making any claims for this one - but that guy does sound genuinely frightened. (And if he is as frightened as he sounds then he's got some sand to do what he does.)

Probably not the case here but a heavy internal door in my house will slam very loudly and close shut apparently by itself or bang repeatedly on the frame.Happens when the rear outside door (at the other end of the house) which is at 45 degrees to this one is open . It occurs when there is no wind- very spooky if you don't know what it is. The house is on a busy road and traffic flying past causes an air pressure rush up the driveway, through the back door through to the front room slamming the door.

Probably not the case here but a heavy internal door in my house will slam very loudly and close shut apparently by itself or bang repeatedly on the frame.Happens when the rear outside door (at the other end of the house) which is at 45 degrees to this one is open . It occurs when there is no wind- very spooky if you don't know what it is. The house is on a busy road and traffic flying past causes an air pressure rush up the driveway, through the back door through to the front room slamming the door.

You're not fooling us - you've got a poltergeist.

Aye, lucky bugger...when I were a lad we had to put up wi' ectoplasmic appearance from old Elsies fundament - we 'ad none o' yer foreign disturbances 'ere...what next, 'ome delivered succubus?

Poltergeist? - pah. Any such would have been scared off long ago by one or two of the females that have inhabited that house with me. Sure as hell scared the whatsits out of me...

I used to work in a large Edwardian theatre where the shift in air flow caused by opening and shutting the street door caused any open doors inside the backstage area to slam shut. Each door slammed slighty after the previous - in sequence - from the top of the building downwards. Most disconcerting if you'd done a late shift and were shutting up by yourself - as the banging rapidly approached you in the darkness.

Back