• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Miscellaneous Ghost Photos & Videos

Adding that the label says Edward 1 but the dog makes me think of Richard 2!

It looks like someone with an umbrella - the dark triangular shape just below what looks to be two stones (part of the wall). I see the figure as standing sideways to the camera.

Just came across this photo from 1900 Belfast.

View attachment 43317

In a recently emerged 19th-century photo, you just might spot something that will give you chills.

At first glance, the photo, which was taken in 1900, just appears to show 15 women standing outside of a Belfast, Ireland, linen mill in their work uniforms. But if you look a little closer, you'll see something slightly more paranormal. Can you spot the ghost among the mill workers?

Here's a hint: If you look at the woman on the far right of the photo and in the second row from the bottom, you'll notice a hand resting on her right shoulder. And yet both women behind her have their arms folded and their hands tucked away — so the hand can't possibly belong to either of them.

https://www.countryliving.com/entertaining/a39085/spot-ghost-in-black-white-photo/
A poster elsewhere points out that the young woman on the bottom left also has a mystery hand - it doesn't obviously align with the rest of her arm, and it's a darker colour. What's happening there?

A poster elsewhere points out that the young woman on the bottom left also has a mystery hand - it doesn't obviously align with the rest of her arm, and it's a darker colour. What's happening there?
It's easy to get your hand in that position with your arms crossed... I don't agree it doesn't align? It is an unexpected shade though.

White rim on the sole of the shoe (?) on the ground looks like some sort of trainer. Nothing like it on the other foot.

It's easy to get your hand in that position with your arms crossed... I don't agree it doesn't align? It is an unexpected shade though.
Hmm, we might have to agree to differ. I've blown up the relevant section of the image, and tried to indicate the direction that each limb section appears to be going, albeit out of our view. If I'm anywhere near right, she'd have to have a second elbow in that arm...

Screenshot_20210830-213702_Chrome.jpg

Hmm, we might have to agree to differ. I've blown up the relevant section of the image, and tried to indicate the direction that each limb section appears to be going, albeit out of our view. If I'm anywhere near right, she'd have to have a second elbow in that arm...

View attachment 44282
Are you sure that is a hand? It looks very glove like to me.

Are you sure that is a hand? It looks very glove like to me.
Yes either it's a glove for some strange reason and not really on the hand or that arm is too long, twisted strangely, and the hand is way too dark. All this futzing around after the fact on a simple informal snapshot of a group of co-workers. What would have been so important that someone spent all this time on the period equivalent of air brushing? There's a great story that could be developed from just looking at the photo.

I don't think so ... I've experimented by mimicking her crossed arms myself in a mirror, and I find I can rest my right hand as high or higher on my left upper arm as she does without any strain.

The wrist is quite flexible, and her overlapping left forearm is hiding the true angle at which her right forearm is oriented.

View attachment 44282

a) She could have been wearing gloves to work and taken them off for the photo, just tucking them under her arm for the pose, or;

b) She could have had her forearm broken, and badly reset, years earlier. This might also account for the difference in colour between hand and arm.

maximus otter

I don't think so ... I've experimented by mimicking her crossed arms myself in a mirror, and I find I can rest my right hand as high or higher on my left upper arm as she does without any strain.

The wrist is quite flexible, and her overlapping left forearm is hiding the true angle at which her right forearm is oriented.
Too much length from the middle of the right arm to the hand. I hope your arm doesn't look like that.

Well this is an unusual thing - a fortean question that can be settled relatively easily by experiment. You don't get many of those to the pound. Fellow Forteans! To your Mirrors!

(I have already had a go and I do think it's fine. Though it's possible I have weird arms.).

Well this is an unusual thing - a fortean question that can be settled relatively easily by experiment. You don't get many of those to the pound. Fellow Forteans! To your Mirrors!

(I have already had a go and I do think it's fine. Though it's possible I have weird arms.).
I was looking at Pinterest and even Tom Hiddleston is giving it a go. :rollingw:

Attachments

• F0F472CC-B82A-4565-8B4A-CAA61A2A8B92.jpeg
    F0F472CC-B82A-4565-8B4A-CAA61A2A8B92.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 28
I was looking at Pinterest and even Tom Hiddleston is giving it a go. :rollingw:
Yeah, but his forearm is angled up, not down like our subject.

ETA: somewhat to my surprise, it turns out this is the hill I will die on. Well, I've tested positive for Covid anyway, so I suppose here's as good as anywhere...

View attachment 44282
I don’t think there’s anything unusual about it - your green line is at far to steep an angle, unlike her right arm which is more level.

I don’t think there’s anything unusual about it - your green line is at far to steep an angle, unlike her right arm which is more level.
I'm certainly willing to accept I might have got the angle wrong. That said, her arm is definitely angled down, not up like in Mr Hiddleston's pic. At some point, she has managed to cross her left arm over her right, and for the life of me I cannot figure out how she has then been able to get her right hand into that position. I like the glove hypothesis, although to play Devil's Advocate for a moment, her feet are a similar shade to the mystery hand.

I'm certainly willing to accept I might have got the angle wrong. That said, her arm is definitely angled down, not up like in Mr Hiddleston's pic. At some point, she has managed to cross her left arm over her right, and for the life of me I cannot figure out how she has then been able to get her right hand into that position. I like the glove hypothesis, although to play Devil's Advocate for a moment, her feet are a similar shade to the mystery hand.
I am completely convinced that is a glove. If you look at the top finger you can see where two gloves have been placed together under her arm and you can see the two separate fingers of two gloves.

Can we not just look at pictures of Tom Hiddleston?

View attachment 44282
Might be just an illusion:
1467391109-1467218271-gettyimages-498875487.jpg Length of lines A and B are exactly the same length. Also, the turn of her left hand wrist overshadows her right arms elbow, making it appear to be at a lower angle to what it actually is.

Last edited:
Might be just an illusion:
View attachment 44364 Length of lines A and B are exactly the same length. Also, the turn of her left hand wrist overshadows her right arms elbow, making it appear to be at a lower angle to what it actually is.
Ok, yes, I see what you're saying. It's the relative position of her left wrist over her right forearm which has been misleading me. Thank you, that's helped me visualise what's happening better.

Back