• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Misinterpreted Headlines

Scanning the page, for a moment I really thought they had called her Stroud Maternity Unit.

Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 08.55.26.png

Given their lack of opposable thumbs, I suspect the culprit was more likely to be a serial cat killer. But that's just a hunch.

37898298_10157566826578572_4611280844097585152_n.jpg

Nasty. My guess is that the poor man inhaled the paint and it gave him breathing problems.

I was in a hurry and inattentive, so ... Before the actual - and admittedly more obvious - interpretation sank in my lagging mind managed to wonder if either:

- the hiker had missed or ignored the fact she was traversing a toll trail, or ...
- an unusually cunning bear was running a backwoods scam.

Colorado woman charged by bear while hiking in Canada

I thank everyone who contributed their misinterpreted headlines.
I have tears in my eyes from laughing.
Dinner is an hour late now, but it's worth it.

Continued to read other threads. I misread a post by James_H in Weird Tales From Reddit.
"Very interesting post hinting at an underground trade in Christian relics" became "Very interesting post hinting at an underground trade in Christian antics".

Not a headline but a misreading. I casually glanced at a stand of Christmas cards and saw one that read "Pigs In Blankets" that for some reason I read as "piss in blankets."

This one was the result of truncation in a news site listing ...

Potential early biomarker to track development of non-alcoholic fatty

As it turns out, this isn't about research relevant to identifying obese teetotalers.

Instead, it addresses early detection of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-04/jdc-peb040620.php

Hunting for the lowest known nuclear-excited state

I initially thought this must be a snide reference to North Korea. Then I pondered whether it was a trick question and the correct answer might be Pakistan ... Then I wondered whether it was a deliberately misleading reference to natural nuclear phenomena and Gabon's Oklo site ...

... And finally realized I was 'way off the mark.

Nuclear clocks could make our time measurement even more accurate than atomic clocks. The key to this lies in thorium-229, an atomic nucleus whose lowest excited state has very low energy. ...

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-10/jgum-hft100620.php

It's not quite the same, but in a similar vein...

I found a photo file on my computer labelled Metalking. And however hard I wracked my brains I could not think what a Metal King may be nor why I should have a picture of one. It was most confusing. So I opened the file.

And found a picture of Me. Talking.

Back