• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Missing In Action: Members Who've Gone Silent / Haven't Been Seen For Some Time

I recognise the large haired gentlemen, if I'm not mistaken he occupies the cell next to mine.
You might be thinking of this guy....

londo-mollari-9684fb1b-1282-49d0-a161-46a93def3a2-resize-750.jpg

More seriously, I have been bedevilled with like problems in trying to contact my UK bank. (Which I must post about sometime)
My daughter, out in Oz, has kept a UK bank account (it's easier for us to put money into it for Christmas/Birthdays and then she can spend it on UK things for us, or keep it for when she's over here. Barclays seem to have a HUGE problem with this, for example they WILL NOT accept an overseas address for her new bank card, or a Pinsentry machine even though she is keeping the money in the UK and spending it in the UK... Surely there must be loads of people who go overseas for periods of time and want to keep a UK account open and running whilst they are abroad?

My daughter, out in Oz, has kept a UK bank account (it's easier for us to put money into it for Christmas/Birthdays and then she can spend it on UK things for us, or keep it for when she's over here. Barclays seem to have a HUGE problem with this, for example they WILL NOT accept an overseas address for her new bank card, or a Pinsentry machine even though she is keeping the money in the UK and spending it in the UK... Surely there must be loads of people who go overseas for periods of time and want to keep a UK account open and running whilst they are abroad?
Barclays suck

Barclays suck
I've been with them for over 30 years and they have served me well. However, they are not without their problems, but then I think that's true of most of the 'old school' High Street banks, isn't it? I remember trying to open an account for my son to receive his education payment (can't remember what it was called but they used to get £30 a week for staying on at school.) He HAD to have a bank account for it to be paid into. To open the account he had to produce his passport, which he did, and then a bill showing proof of his address. He was 16!! He didn't HAVE any bills in his name! Eventually, I had to produce proof that I was his mother (his birth certificate) and proof of MY address.

I know money laundering has to be prevented, but this was my tiny local branch of a bank I'd been with for twenty years, and popped in every week!

Catseye could you just use your address and give the card and number to your daughter?
That's what we have done. I took a photo of the front and back of the card and sent it to her. But to pay for things she often needs a Pinsentry machine. The post lost the first one I posted out there, the second one arrived. But it's still ridiculous - she lives in the middle of Melbourne, not some Outback sheep station - why can't the bank post a card to her?

That's what we have done. I took a photo of the front and back of the card and sent it to her. But to pay for things she often needs a Pinsentry machine. The post lost the first one I posted out there, the second one arrived. But it's still ridiculous - she lives in the middle of Melbourne, not some Outback sheep station - why can't the bank post a card to her?

Various money-laundering regulations and perhaps a bilateral treaty with Australia about overseas accounts to prevent tax evasion. It's much more likely to be due to legislation rather than bank red tape. Similar hassle happens in the RoI and it's not the fault of the banks.

I know that you and your daughter aren't up to dodgy stuff, it's ordinary people who are hassled by these things. Crooks and the rich get around the rules.

I hear you!
I have huge, huge ongoing problems with a HSBC bank account I have in the UK. Basically, I'm locked out of it and can't seem to get access to it no matter matter what I do. One day I intend to post a lengthy and detailed rant about this on this site - but I'm just not in the mood for it right now.

I hear you!
I have huge, huge ongoing problems with a HSBC bank account I have in the UK. Basically, I'm locked out of it and can't seem to get access to it no matter matter what I do. One day I intend to post a lengthy and detailed rant about this on this site - but I'm just not in the mood for it right now.
Write a cheque to yourself and pay it into an account you can use?

I hear you!
My partner who is from the Isle of Man practically got hauled before the courts for money laundering for leaving £25 in an Isle of Man Bank account when she left (she wanted to use the account on the many occasions she visits her children who still live there!)

Back