• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Missing In Action: Members Who've Gone Silent / Haven't Been Seen For Some Time

The large striped quadruped has returned. Thank you to all for your kind words! I didn't think my absence would be noticed since I'm not a prolific poster.

My life has been quite hectic over the past several months and I haven't had much time or energy to spend on leisure activities such as browsing Forteana Forums. I'm the power of attorney for a 96-year-old friend whose health began to deteriorate earlier this year. She was still living in her own home and I arranged for her to receive home support through the local community care centre. After a few stays in hospital over the next few months it became clear that she could no longer cope at home. In May I managed to get her moved into a retirement home. While this has resolved her personal care issues, I found myself faced with another dilemma in the form of her house. I knew the house needed cosmetic work done but I was surprised to learn that more serious problems had to be addressed, including a mould infestation. Since then I've been dealing with various contractors, one of whom is maintaining radio silence. The house is going to have to be sold but I know my friend will not be pleased about that. At the same time as all this was going on, I had contractors in my own home doing renovations on my bathrooms. I probably need to take a course in project management.

I hope to be here more frequently from now on if only for the purpose of distracting myself from other things in life.
Good luck with all that - my wife and I have elderly parents (my dad, her mum) and while that's often stressful, at least for most of the time it hasn't reached the levels you're facing.

Good to have you back.

Good luck with all that - my wife and I have elderly parents (my dad, her mum) and while that's often stressful, at least for most of the time it hasn't reached the levels you're facing.

Good to have you back.
Thankyou cycleboy2! I'm not looking forward to discussing the sale of the house with my friend. Although she has dementia she can be quite lucid at times. She reads the paper every day but I don't know how much information she retains. She has made some pointed comments about Putin, however, and she was very much aware of the Queen's passing. Unfortunately, she insists that she can manage at home when she clearly can't. If she were completely doolally the situation would be much easier. Since I have power of attorney I can make arrangements to sell the house without her consent. Of course, I wouldn't do so without telling her but I would feel like I was stabbing her in the back by selling her property without her approval. The house doesn't have to be sold straight away so perhaps the dementia will worsen in the coming months. That may be a coward's way of looking at the situation but I don't relish a confrontation about the issue. Such is life!

Thankyou cycleboy2! I'm not looking forward to discussing the sale of the house with my friend. Although she has dementia she can be quite lucid at times. She reads the paper every day but I don't know how much information she retains. She has made some pointed comments about Putin, however, and she was very much aware of the Queen's passing. Unfortunately, she insists that she can manage at home when she clearly can't. If she were completely doolally the situation would be much easier. Since I have power of attorney I can make arrangements to sell the house without her consent. Of course, I wouldn't do so without telling her but I would feel like I was stabbing her in the back by selling her property without her approval. The house doesn't have to be sold straight away so perhaps the dementia will worsen in the coming months. That may be a coward's way of looking at the situation but I don't relish a confrontation about the issue. Such is life!
Your friend is very lucky to have you supporting her. I know from my own experiences that sometimes making the best decisions for another results in that person being hurt and feeling betrayed. Hang in there!

Your friend is very lucky to have you supporting her. I know from my own experiences that sometimes making the best decisions for another results in that person being hurt and feeling betrayed. Hang in there!
Thank you Endlessly Amazed!

Welcome back to @GingerTabby!

I knew banging that plate with a spoon would work.

:rollingw: Just make me a strawberry daquiri and I'll come running! :wink2:

No, it was the standing at the back door going "psspsspsspsspsspss........psspsspsspsspsspss" what done it, I reckon.
We've heard about you standing at the back door going "psspsspsspss", you know the neighbours have complained...

You've got a proper toilet, use it.
That's because going "psspsspsspsspss" summons @Ryneer...

@PeteByrdie, my privateer...... :glum:
My lady, I don't think the forum is aligning with my interests these days. Whether I've changed or the forum, or both, I don't know. I was posting less, then checking the forum but not inspired to post, then not even thinking to check the forum very often. I'm mostly sailing other seas these days, but I still return to these shores from time to time.

My lady, I don't think the forum is aligning with my interests these days. Whether I've changed or the forum, or both, I don't know. I was posting less, then checking the forum but not inspired to post, then not even thinking to check the forum very often. I'm mostly sailing other seas these days, but I still return to these shores from time to time.
With 31,342 threads, surely something must do?

I'll admit, each time I look at the forum, I don't check every one of the 31,342 threads. Perhaps I'm just not committed enough, but I mostly just look to see what's been posted to recently. My bad.
Perhaps for the best, it's a real labyrinth and before you know it you're down the rabbit hole and lost in a tangle of fascinating threads you had no idea about, and hours of time have gone by without you noticing...

Or- look at the threads that you are interested in and start those up again. Some people who didn't know they existed will be interested and others who had forgotten about them will be also.
I'm a big fan of bringing those old threads back to life. You could be a different kind of Resurrection Man.

I'm a big fan of bringing those old threads back to life. You could be a different kind of Resurrection Man.
What, like Jesus?

w460.jpg

Back