• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Missing In Action: Members Who've Gone Silent / Haven't Been Seen For Some Time

Didn't he have a thing for buses?
He did but I think he lived in a fairly rural area in Cornwall & relied on buses to get around plus he had dodgy arthritic knees as I recall - he was getting on a bit. Hearing what we do about the reality & timings of rural bus services these days, he probably had good reason to whinge about them.

The mystery of Mighty Emperor is perhaps the most Fortean of the missing greats.
Some of you I know in real life. My strongest memory of the Mighty Emperor is after one years UnCon him pointing out that I had walked past him but he thought I looked busy so didn't say hi! Mind that was the year he turned up on the right weekend...

The mystery of Mighty Emperor is perhaps the most Fortean of the missing greats.
A few mods have gone MIA. A couple had privately mentioned they were going, in one or two cases that they were taking a break but subsequently decided they preferred life away from it, and Emps falls into that category.

Only two have abruptly gone: Schnor and Mooksta.

We need some cantankerous old gits though. It brightens the day...

I'd agree - in fact, I can do more than a bit of that myself. But I find the predictably splenetic really quite tedious. There is absolutely no reason that an argument - in the sense of the exchange of reasoning behind opposing viewpoints - always has to turn into an ARGUMENT! But some people struggle with that concept. I find that with the predictably angry you can plan your moves several turns ahead - you can write responses to their responses before they've posted them. (I have genuinely done this in the past - it saves so much time.) It's like chess - but much less interesting.

Thankfully, biliousness appears to be just one aspect of the characters of our current batch of supposed curmudgeons, rather than a general definition - the fact that its less predictable (well, aside from in certain specific areas) makes it so much more entertaining.

It possibly goes without saying that I am not at all behind the door when arguing my own point of view - but I really hope I do so without appearing to shout at anyone. The 'grumpy old man' thing is a cliché like any other - and one I would genuinely hate to fall into.

GNC has now been absent since mid-June.

Is anybody in contact beyond the board?
@Dinobot and I are looking into it...

wig-wiggity-wig-2.gif

GNC has now been absent since mid-June.

Is anybody in contact beyond the board?

I am missing GNC. Never loud, but reassuringly constant and engaging - GNC has long felt something like a point of balance in these threads, and I’ve always valued their presence.

Ever a little guarded in regard to their life outside the board, I nevertheless felt that something maybe hadn’t been quite right for a time. I'd be more than happy to be wrong.

Anyway, @GNC - if you're still viewing our particular brand of ridiculousness from afar, I genuinely hope all is well with you, and that you’ll maybe be back for a dip when you’re up for it.

If your absence is likely to be longer; well, vale comrade - and good luck on the road.

I would love to read a list of former Mods and their various styles of genius. I only joined a couple of years ago and there is no posted history. This is like Hotel California.
There was Quixote. She was cool. I don't think she was a mod for a very long time but she was really good at art. I hope she is well wherever she is. :curt:

Has EnolaGaia retired his account? That is a real shame.

This may seem a little morbid, but is there some way I can set up a mechanism to advise y'all - my friends - if I kick the bucket? Bear in mind I have no close family. I have considered giving my real life friends a list but that seems even more morbid.

This may seem a little morbid, but is there some way I can set up a mechanism to advise y'all - my friends - if I kick the bucket? Bear in mind I have no close family. I have considered giving my real life friends a list but that seems even more morbid.
There are a number of dead man's handle email services. You set up the emails you want to send and every so often they contact you, if they don't get a reply they send the emails on your behalf. Here is one such service

https://www.deadmansswitch.net/

The only mechanical way I can think of would be if you set up an automatic email that could be sent on a date in the future (say January 1st 2024 to start with), as well as a reminder to yourself that the "final message" will email a week before. If you get the reminder, you can just change the email send date to the next year and move on. If you aren't there, then the final message can be deployed.

One other option: let the mod team know your real name and location, so that if you pass away, they may be able to search for an obituary.

November 2021.

Enola and I were looking into this, but we could not trace him.
I did see a reply somewhere up thread and early last year that the poster thought he had a new relationship and thus was not on the board. Who and when the post was made, I don't remember. Edited to add: posting 2019, but it was a supposition.

Last edited:
One other option: let the mod team know your real name and location, so that if you pass away, they may be able to search for an obituary.
I think this idea was proposed elsewhere but ruled out due to GPDR or similar IIRC.

Morbid, bugger it. Give a list to your friends to deal with. They are going to have to sort out the gas and leccy etc they may as well sort out Fortean as well. Write yourself a whopping obituary while you are at it

Back