• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Missing In Action: Members Who've Gone Silent / Haven't Been Seen For Some Time

As an aside, I want to give a massive hug to Frideswide who seems particularly concerned (not diminishing the care being shown by everyone else). Never-ending cuddles are your's for the taking, however this unnerving situation turns out.

Thank you. I really appreciate this :)

I know @Loquaciousness said she had a new job that was going to take a lot of her time away, but really, at this rate, she'll have to come up with a new username. Has anyone heard from her recently?

I don't know how Loquaciousness found it but I found it very difficult. In such ways is discussion closed down - at least for me, I try to avoid that discussion on here now, which I think is a pity.

I don't know how Loquaciousness found it but I found it very difficult. In such ways is discussion closed down - at least for me, I try to avoid that discussion on here now, which I think is a pity.
If it's the thread I'm thinking of, one glance was enough to tell me I wouldn't find it a happy experience. I've found a couple of other tendentious threads on here to be difficult enough without adding to their number.

So @Loquaciousness has gone as a result of anti-immigrant sentiment, and our collective experience is that much poorer for her absence. Why, it's almost as though it could be a metaphor :(

Despite lapses, I've tried to stay out of the refugee/Muslim/migrant thread because I personally find it an unrewarding debate. That said - as I've commented to more than one poster here recently - Forteana is what we do here: chat and politics are a complete sideline and I wouldn't shed a tear if they were nuked despite my participation in them. A large number of posters exclusively read and contribute to Fortean threads and we should encourage (how?) members to avoid the topics in which they are not interested.

A chat/mainstream new opt-in would be fantastic.

If it's the thread I'm thinking of, one glance was enough to tell me I wouldn't find it a happy experience. I've found a couple of other tendentious threads on here to be difficult enough without adding to their number.

So @Loquaciousness has gone as a result of anti-immigrant sentiment, and our collective experience is that much poorer for her absence. Why, it's almost as though it could be a metaphor :(

I am here - after @Krepostnoi sent me a lovely PM, and the FT forum sent me an email telling me so! Sorry to have worried people, and thank you that you care. Yes, I did find the thread upsetting, but largely dealt with it by no longer reading it. I guess, it also made me not want to pop into the forum as much as I had previously done, so I got out of the habit. However, my recent absence has mainly been due to my new job which is taking up a lot of my time, and the old job (the one I didn't take VR for) involves lecturing/tutoring on some new courses which means a lot of prep.

I am here - after @Krepostnoi sent me a lovely PM, and the FT forum sent me an email telling me so! Sorry to have worried people, and thank you that you care. Yes, I did find the thread upsetting, but largely dealt with it by no longer reading it. I guess, it also made me not want to pop into the forum as much as I had previously done, so I got out of the habit. However, my recent absence has mainly been due to my new job which is taking up a lot of my time, and the old job (the one I didn't take VR for) involves lecturing/tutoring on some new courses which means a lot of prep.

Welcome back!

As for @rynner2 if it is computing equipment he needs, I have a spare netbook that I would quite happily forward to him.

Yes, I did find the thread upsetting, but largely dealt with it by no longer reading it.
I'm the same with loads of threads. Some political, some so childishly simple there is no mind nourishment in them at all. (I got fed up telling people their limericks didn't scan, so I just gave up!)

But welcome back, LQ, there are still some grown-up discussions worth reading. :)

Where's Johnnyboy? And which is his latest userprofile - I'm damned if I can find it.

She often takes breaks - often after political firestorms.
I'm not in touch with her, but I'm fairly confident that she'll return.

That is very true - a thoughtful poster missing.

U.S. politics seems to have gone into divisive-overload during the past eighteen-months; the Brits have been there for a while already.

Back