• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Missing In Action: Members Who've Gone Silent / Haven't Been Seen For Some Time

There's no doubt Frobush had some serious problems - for a start, he was banned from here for a campaign of harassment against a female poster. It was a pity, he could be a lovely guy, and he was obviously highly intelligent...
He was. I tried really, really hard with him, as he was clearly deeply troubled and genuinely didn't mean to cause harm, but as stated he was harassing another poster and it ended up with him being banned. He knew he was doing it, he knew he shouldn't do it, but he couldn't stop himself (the object of his obsession hadn't done anything to encourage him beyond being nice.) I did like him, and caught some flak for his ban, but I was nevertheless sad to hear of his passing.

Possibly - no, probably - due to the subject matter we discuss and the respectful attitude we encourage we do have a number of members with a variety of issues, and whilst we try hard to treat everybody with a degree of sympathy, sometimes the greater good has to prevail.

He was. I tried really, really hard with him, as he was clearly deeply troubled and genuinely didn't mean to cause harm, but as stated he was harassing another poster and it ended up with him being banned. He knew he was doing it, he knew he shouldn't do it, but he couldn't stop himself (the object of his obsession hadn't done anything to encourage him beyond being nice.) I did like him, and caught some flak for his ban, but I was nevertheless sad to hear of his passing.

Possibly - no, probably - due to the subject matter we discuss and the respectful attitude we encourage we do have a number of members with a variety of issues, and whilst we try hard to treat everybody with a degree of sympathy, sometimes the greater good has to prevail.

I remember that. I think you got the flak because the extent of his obsession wasn't generally realised.

I remember that. I think you got the flak because the extent of his obsession wasn't generally realised.
Often the way. Mods and admins see large parts of the picture that they can't really divulge to anyone not involved, and occasionally posters who otherwise present quite normally have a side which is well-concealed by dint of being played out entirely via PM.

Frobush and I chatted often and he was never anything but polite and friendly to me. I was surprised to learn that he'd had warnings and eventually been booted off for harassment.

Someone (can't remember who) once pm'd to say they'd complained about how rude he'd been to me. I was taken aback because while he did rib me a bit, it was only banter and he got the same from me!

Yeah I was shocked when I heard what had been going on - I was a digital mate of Frobush on here but I originally 'met' him over on the Retro Gamer forums, seemed like a nice enough chap. There was an unusual incident at a gaming convention not long before he passed, I'm not sure exactly what happened to him but I think he had a rough time near the end. :grumpy:

Been meaning to ask you FrK, have you seen the film A Dark Song yet? Would love to get your take on the operation as depicted. I know it is hugely stylised for the audience, but how does it measure up to other depictions of the Abra Melin in film and pop culture? I think it's the best depiction I've seen.

Been meaning to ask you FrK, have you seen the film A Dark Song yet? Would love to get your take on the operation as depicted. I know it is hugely stylised for the audience, but how does it measure up to other depictions of the Abra Melin in film and pop culture? I think it's the best depiction I've seen.

Hi skinny! I saw it around the time it came out and thought it was perhaps the best depiction of occult ritual in film, but whilst still being a decent horror film. The whole thing with nothing happening and the ambiguity as to what is happening and how/why, the atmosphere just felt perfect for the subject it was dealing with. Steve Oram's character was excellent too, I loved the way that part was played as very down-to-earth and flawed, but an expert nonetheless. Highly recommended film.

Thanks, mate. Have you performed the Abra Melin yourself?

I haven't, I can't even think of anyone I know who has! It's just one of those things, for me at least, the merry-go-round of being a bit disillusioned with classical, ceremonial magick, and then finding new insights and interesting stuff within it that draws you back. It must require a high level of discipline to perform it properly.

Yes it would. Most think it also requires an unlimited amount of capital, time and private space. Not so. Ramsey Dukes/Lionel Snell performed it in a north London flat right in the centre of society, although he had to break the seal several times. He's about to publish his diary from the operation. I look forward to it. I can't remember if it was successful for him or not.

edit: oh it's already published.
I've just received Gordon White's Star.Ships. Will be adding this diary to my growing occult book shelf.

Steve Oram's character was excellent too, I loved the way that part was played as very down-to-earth and flawed, but an expert nonetheless.
Oram was brilliant. I agree his character was well-grounded. I felt sorry for him at various stages. I also still wonder if he found his wish fulfilled in the end. That is one of the ambiguities of the last quarter of the film, was what happened to him. All we saw was his meat vehicle being dragged away by demons, and then Sophia sending his dead vehicle into the lake prior to her departure.

I think this is one of the strongest films I've ever seen, not just occult films but cinema in general. I regret I never got to see it on a large screen in public.

Often the way. Mods and admins see large parts of the picture that they can't really divulge to anyone not involved, and occasionally posters who otherwise present quite normally have a side which is well-concealed by dint of being played out entirely via PM.

Despite all the years I've been around (well before 2006 - despite what it says on my profile) it's only recently that I've taken on board that there was another dimension to the board, playing out almost entirely via PM. (I think I average out at about 1.5 conversations per annum. Am I maybe just unsociable?)

unsociable?
Excellent question.
Shall we post a poll?

How many times have you been misrepresented, railroaded or otherwise cast off on the FTMB / F forums?
A Between 10 and 100
A Between 100 and 1000
A Between 1000 and every single time I try to make objective sense of my thoughts via a keyboard and mouse or a touchscreen.

Too raw?

Despite all the years I've been around (well before 2006 - despite what it says on my profile) it's only recently that I've taken on board that there was another dimension to the board, playing out almost entirely via PM. (I think I average out at about 1.5 conversations per annum. Am I maybe just unsociable?)

Obviously I receive a good number about board topics, but before I was moderating I would pretty much only send messages to add a private word on a subject that didn't seem appropriate to post in public:
  • Condolences
  • Apology for being insensitive or moody
  • Request: could you look up X in that book?
  • Explanation. Poster Y is probably drunk--don't take his criticism too hard as he's a good egg.
That kind of stuff.

Some members, I know, send round 'conversations' with multiple recipients, like a private discussion thread--my name has only rarely been on the list.

Mods don't communicate by PM often as we have a Mod discussion thread (it isn't excitingly clandestine, more like a fridge covered in post-its between busy housemates). The exception to this is when we want to privately bitch about what a ruthless tyrant Stu is.

Looked for a thread on Nostradamus and spent 2 hours Christmas Day morning wading through EricJulien (the big E) - didn't predict that ! Anyone know if he's still on the planet or did he get his lift ?

This goes over my head too. Even more intriguing is that the board was/probably still is a hotbed of seething vice. Posters travelling huge distances to shag each other senseless - what a time to be alive!
There've also been longer relationships and even at least one marriage that I know of.

Back