• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Missing In Action: Members Who've Gone Silent / Haven't Been Seen For Some Time

Does anyone know what has happened to markrkingston1 ? (I think the web link to his profile at the Forteana Forum/Message Board is: https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?members/markrkingston1.14368/ .) He hasn’t posted at the Forteana forums since January 2019, and he seems to have last visited the Forteana forums in March 2019. He has been very nice and very generous with his time, helping me with various computer/tech issues. I last received an email from him in March 2019. (I have sent him approx. 3 emails in the past month or so, but I have not received any reply to any of these 3 emails, which is unsual because he has usually replied promptly to my previous emails.)

I was hesitant to post about the possible disappearance of markrkingston1 because I know that he gets quite busy with computer/tech-related issues, and he has possibly just been too busy to visit the Forteana forums or answer much email. (I also know that it can take me a while to post or reply to emails, depending on what my schedule is.)

Does anyone know what has become of markrkingston1 ?

Ogdred,

I said 'lurking', not 'stalking'.

You really need to get some new glasses.

INT21.

jimv1 or analogue boy has disappeared - I used to like his contributions. He got upset when his thread was re-titled.

Thank you for that. Yes, I did do a bit of a flounce over moderation but I’ve been chatting over the past few days and the situation is resolved.

Now I just have to find something interesting on this site I’ve missed to comment on.

Thank you for that. Yes, I did do a bit of a flounce over moderation but I’ve been chatting over the past few days and the situation is resolved.

Now I just have to find something interesting on this site I’ve missed to comment on.
Welcome back!

I must look up more of this Rynner chap's old posts. He seems to have been an interesting character!

He often made valuable contributions, especially as he is a former seaman with a vast knowledge of maritime subjects.

However, he couldn't grasp the legalities of cut'n'paste postings. We can't just nick pages of text off newspaper sites to re-post on'ere as if it's our own work. We'll get sued. Everyone else complied with the Board's conventions on this but he wouldn't and it caused arguments.

Dunno if that's what caused him to leave in the end but I'm sure it contributed.

He often made valuable contributions, especially as he is a former seaman with a vast knowledge of maritime subjects.

However, he couldn't grasp the legalities of cut'n'paste postings. We can't just nick pages of text off newspaper sites to re-post on'ere as if it's our own work. We'll get sued. Everyone else complied with the Board's conventions on this but he wouldn't and it caused arguments.

Dunno if that's what caused him to leave in the end but I'm sure it contributed.

He left because of my actions.

First, over the course of a number of months, I moved a lot of his threads into Mainstream News and Chat from other subfora. Rynner, ultimately, believes that everything is Fortean; in a sense he's right, but in my view that would make this a message board about anything and everything, not just traditional Forteana. No focus = no reason for us to be here rather than somewhere else.

Second, I removed a number of 'filler' articles that didn't supply any more information. Again, in one sense he had a point, clippings and reports are often very valuable for squeezing out details, but the proliferation of incestuous news sources we have online today--all ultimately rewriting identical press releases--often means, perversely, that more is less. I pulled a number of them and he took it personally.

I don't with the benefit of hindsight think that I would act differently were the situation to recur today, but I might try to get somebody else to share the dirty work of implementing group decisions as I still feel badly about it. Unfortunately, at that point--almost two years ago--I was pretty much the only moderator regularly online, so there was nobody else to get stuff done.

I hope this doesn't sound too self-justificatory.

I'm a pretty decent cyberstalker (if you take my meaning) and I'm pretty confident when I say that Rynner is no longer online anywhere. I suspect his computer finally gave up the ghost and he decided to abandon the Internet.

I worry only as he repeatedly mentioned deteriorating health while he was here.

Haven't seen Amoradala around recently.

Edit: last seen 7 April 2019.

Last edited:
I don't with the benefit of hindsight think that I would act differently were the situation to recur today, but I might try to get somebody else to share the dirty work of implementing group decisions as I still feel badly about it..
Don't forget I was having discussions with him, both openly and privately, for years so it was more down to him and me than anyone else. Ryn was a mod with me for a couple of years, but even that experience didn't alter his fundamental determination to do things entirely his way. Ultimately, like one or two others, he wanted this place to be exactly as it was in 2004, post the big troll problems. Unfortunately it wasn't really like that even then - that's the problem with nostalgia. I remember it as it was throughout, and yes, there are high points and lows, but Forteana is cyclical. It's by adapting and bending with the breeze that we've outlasted most, if not all, of the other weirdness boards.

People come, people go, and each gets a different thing from the board. What I've tried to do is keep its meridian consistent. Have I made mistakes? Yep. Have I thought about walking away? Also yes. Somehow I've never escaped its gravity, though - and overall do I think I've done my best to keep it moving forward? Yes, I do. If I didn't, I would go.

And I mean that.

Back