• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Missing In Action: Members Who've Gone Silent / Haven't Been Seen For Some Time

Hi, just to advise I had not purposefully gone AWOL. As someone suggested I am busy writing. A couple of new books on the go and I had the 200th edition of Northern UFO News to get on line. Been editing that since 1974 so it was something I had to do.

My years away from writing (between Breaking the Time Barrier in 2004 and working with Alan Godfrey on his story in Who or what were They? in 2017 was down to being a full time carer that involved 24/7 presence here. But that is sadly no longer necessary and I am gradually getting back involved. I gave my first talk since 2003 at the LAPIS event in Lytham St Annes in October. Probably my last too!

The suggestion that the discussion on trans issues had driven me away. No, I have no problem talking about this now. In fact if you look me up on Twitter you will find I seem to do little else and it has become incredibly time consuming.

I was asked to write a book on this 30 years ago when it was 'unheard of' but my brother's kids and grandkids would have ended up being compromised and my partner knew of course but he had family too - some of whom he preferred not to tell. But I was always going to get exposed at some point by the media so in a sense I would rather have written that book. And did - but not to publish - to put in the training section for new doctors in the first hospital that I was assessed at nearly 50 years ago at the start of a long process. They had seen my notebooks from childhood and, it then being something that new doctors never came across, they thought it would help.

My publishers were also not keen as they were afraid that I might end up never promoting the subject I was writing about and only being asked about being TS. That never happened, even though plenty of interviewers knew and could have. I never stopped them as I made clear I would not volunteer it but would not lie if asked about it. And nobody ever chose to do.

Now on Twitter it is very different and I have turned down recent media appearances because that's what they wanted to discuss and am not and do not wish to be an activist as toxic stuff is going on out there. If I did want to talk about this I would write that book now that family ties and no publishers to worry about leave me free to do.

But it is not a priority in the present atmosphere of hate out there.

Anyhow I hope to check in more here now and if anyone has any questions I have missed. Just ask them again and I will try to not be away from here so long from now on.

Is nobody in contact with liveinabin?

Did I miss something about @rynner?
Rynner was a long-term member and a prolific poster.
He kept posting entire news articles, which could potentially be breach of copyright. Mods told us to only include a bit of a news article and then provide links. Rynner persisted in his habit of copy and paste.
After an angry exchange, Rynner stormed off, never to be seen here again.

Some of us would like to see him back, because he was an extremely knowledgeable fellow who could give a scientist's viewpoint.
For all we know, he could be dead (he was about 70 at the time and was talking about ill health).

Rynner was a long-term member and a prolific poster.
He kept posting entire news articles, which could potentially be breach of copyright. Mods told us to only include a bit of a news article and then provide links. Rynner persisted in his habit of copy and paste.
After an angry exchange, Rynner stormed off, never to be seen here again.

Some of us would like to see him back, because he was an extremely knowledgeable fellow who could give a scientist's viewpoint.
For all we know, he could be dead (he was about 70 at the time and was talking about ill health).

Well I'm glad the answer wasn't "he's dead". Thanks for letting me know. He could be quite ornery at times, though I don't see how sharing a news article could infringe copyright so long as there was no chance of financial gain?

Well I'm glad the answer wasn't "he's dead". Thanks for letting me know. He could be quite ornery at times, though I don't see how sharing a news article could infringe copyright so long as there was no chance of financial gain?
Yes, 'ornery' is a good word. He could be quite ungrateful, churlish and stand-offish towards people who had been openly friendly and supportive towards him. I think he was quite misanthropic.

I don't see how sharing a news article could infringe copyright so long as there was no chance of financial gain?

It certainly is infringing copyright and there is indirect financial gain. It's about 'site traffic'. An article pasted here isn't being read on its own site so this site is taking that site's traffic away.

The correct way is to quote the article and put up a link to it so it's read on its own page and everyone's happy. Rynner refused to do this.

Back