• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Missing In Action: Members Who've Gone Silent / Haven't Been Seen For Some Time

Writing! What a brilliant idea. I wouldn't mind a thread about snail mail. I like sending and receiving silly postcards at/from 2004 Hitson, Fort[ean] Worth , TX 76112, U.S.A.
I hope best hopes for PeniG :wink2:

Awesome. You are brave, posting your address, though! For the sake of clarity, I didn't use snail mail to write to PeniG, but It would be fun to send a card, I have one you might like, in fact. :)

Writing! What a brilliant idea. I wouldn't mind a thread about snail mail. I like sending and receiving silly postcards at/from 2004 Hitson, Fort[ean] Worth , TX 76112, U.S.A.
I hope best hopes for PeniG :wink2:
I'll send you one from Cromer .. we have cards ... but please post a pic of it here when it arrives .. :headspinner:

Bullseye has not been around for a couple of months now--he of the archery target avatar.

Is there a special name for an archery target?

Is that where we get "the butt of the joke" i.e. the target of the joke?

I had a quick look: the sense of a target of a joke or insult etc. is derived by metaphor from the archery term, but originally it was not the target but rather the mound that supported the target that was the butt. The origin, it seems, is 'butte', the old-French word for 'rising ground'.

Butts have been found during excavation. No, of course I can't think of one!

Also a common name on old maps - like tithe maps, for example.

... originally it was not the target but rather the mound that supported the target that was the butt. The origin, it seems, is 'butte', the old-French word for 'rising ground'.

My understanding was that the butt is indeed the raised or protected place where a target was mounted, and the butt is not the target per se unless you're shooting into the earth / dirt. A target's fabricated enclosure or frame (stuffed to stop the arrows) used to be called a boss.

Last edited:
... and the similar (ususally) central part of a shield is called the boss.

Yes, ex-R.A.F. chap, community policeman. Top chap, sadly lost following a daft spat about MENSA.

View attachment 18741

@Yithian I miss @ArthurASCII. Good wit, especially in PM perhaps - where he was hilarious!

I remember a series of posts where people mocked the PCSO idea. I was delighted to be able to demonstrate that my working class, special measures Glasgow inner city district used ours to good effect.

A few years on and I can report that the PCSOs (actually SOs here) have gone some way to breaking down the distrust which we have had for decades for the official police. Goes back to the days when there were three gangs in this side of Glasgow, The Torch, The Spur and The Polis.

I'll raise a glass to you @ArthurASCII ! Thank you for the camaraderie, may you be flourishing in other places - and if you chance to read this.... GET YOURSELF IN HERE NOW! :twothumbs:

Back in the day the limericks were supposed to be dryly witty and strictly Fortean subjects. I single-handedly ruined that plan.
I promised @ArthurASCII that the minute the last line had to rhyme with 'phenomena' I'd supply 'And give ArthurASCII an enema!' and I did, to his absolute hilarity.

That may have been the point where the genre of poster-mocking limericks came into its own.

I probably won't be around much, if at all, for a while. I'm none-to-happy about a few things that have gone on here, and it's stressing me out rather too much so I'm going to take a step back from posting.

I wasn't actually going to post this message, lest you all think I'm flouncing off.. which I'm not.. but I remembered that some of you were concerned when I disappeared last year, and I didn't want you being concerned again and wondering where I was.

I probably won't be around much, if at all, for a while. I'm none-to-happy about a few things that have gone on here, and it's stressing me out rather too much so I'm going to take a step back from posting.

I wasn't actually going to post this message, lest you all think I'm flouncing off.. which I'm not.. but I remembered that some of you were concerned when I disappeared last year, and I didn't want you being concerned again and wondering where I was.
Sorry to hear that. Don't stay away too long
:group:

Come back soon mate X

Enjoy your sabbatical away from the twilight zone

Come back soon.

Back