• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Missing Ships / Ship Disappearances (General; Misc.)

YogiAgain

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
This is my first post so sorry for any mistakes.

a friend recently told me that he had heard on a tv show (he thinks horizon or similar) that every year 100's of ships go missing and not just small yachts but big tankers and no one knows what happens to them.

i've heard all about giant waves so i suppose they could be responsible for some missing ships but not all surely?

also does no one look for these ships or do they keep it quiet because of bad publicity?

has anyone else heard this can it possibly be true or did he totally Imagine it?? :?:

I suspect that the main reasons that the occasional disappearance of a large vessel doesn't make the headlines are:

a. They are often registered in far off places like Liberia

b. They are largely crewed by Philippinos, so the world at large doesn't give a damn about any loss of life

The old 'scam' of registering a rusting, dangerous ship with 'liberty' ports who might be flexible when it comes to honest examination for insurance purposes has been going on for ages. Note that it is suggested that the Mary Celeste finally came to an end in such a 'scam'.
However, the now recognised existance of Superwaves that'll even take an oil tanker down in minutes will explain many of the annual losses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back