• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mobile / Cell Phone Weirdness

gl5210 said:
Lobelia maybe a long while ago someone else had the number. You know sometimes years later you will call an old friend only to find out that their number has been changed. Or maybe they are trying to call a number one digit off from yours.

I had this happen some years back when I moved into a new apartment. Some bill collector kept calling. I explained several times, very politely, that the person he wanted no longer had that number. Finally resorted to cursing him and his family whenever he called, and he eventually got the idea and stopped calling.

My sister moved into a new house and got a new number. She kept getting collect calls from somebody in prison. After months of denying the charges she finally accepted and told the guy he had the wrong number. I keep getting ones on my cell but they always ask for different people.

I am being plagued at the moment by calls asking fo a Mr Reid. It's been going on for about 2 weeks now, averaging about 3 calls a day all from marketing people.
I can only assume that out number was listed incorrectly on one of those list of numbers sold to companies for telesales purposes.

The side effect of this is that now I am now able to predict certain things, ie when the phone rings I can predict with some confidence that it's probably for Mr Reid - does that count as a Fortean phenomena?

:D

many years ago before digital telephone exchanges were invented my mum phoned her sister and was surprised to hear her aunts voice on the line, "i didnt know you were visiting jean" said my mum.
"isnt that you jean?" said her aunt

they had both phoned "jean" at the exact same time and become connected to each other, and not gone through to my aunt,

how spooky is that?

I also experienced weird phone calls when I lived abroad...My flatmates and I would get people demanding to speak to a madame zelda....once I could speak more of the language, I found out that the phone number had, before being assigned to us, been that of quite a famous whorehouse - hence all the late night calls!

hmph.

and here i was fantasizing i had got an especially gruff shemale when i called that phone sex line.

i feel like i have been robbed.

My cell phone has recorded me and left a message on my voicemail before also. It was very strange since I had my keypad "locked" and it was just sitting on a table for hours before it happened. I did run it over once.....
All that happened was it got pushed into deep snow. For a while after that, it wouldn't ring, but then it somehow fixed itself.

ringwraith said:
I am being plagued at the moment by calls asking fo a Mr Reid. It's been going on for about 2 weeks now, averaging about 3 calls a day all from marketing people.
I can only assume that out number was listed incorrectly on one of those list of numbers sold to companies for telesales purposes.

The side effect of this is that now I am now able to predict certain things, ie when the phone rings I can predict with some confidence that it's probably for Mr Reid - does that count as a Fortean phenomena?

this is just some crappy old sales ploy. we used to get it all the time once. "is that Mrs Reid, oh well perhaps YOU might be interested ..." when i pointed out to them how bored i was by it, they stopped.

:D

gl5210 said:
Lobelia maybe a long while ago someone else had the number. You know sometimes years later you will call an old friend only to find out that their number has been changed. Or maybe they are trying to call a number one digit off from yours.

I actually managed to answer the phone when the mystery caller rang and it was a woman wanting to speak to Daniel. My name is not Daniel and I don't know any Daniels, so I informed her that she had the wrong number ... five minutes later she range again, and again I told her, "sorry ye've got the wrong number", she's phoned again (missed call) since. I'm now assuming this woman met Daniel at New Years and thinks the number she's ringing (ie mine) is his ...

One morning - I'm talking about 2 or 3 o'clock in the morning! - We were awoken by the police knocking on our door. They claimed that our telephone had dialled 999 and, as a proceedural precaution, the police had been directed to our flat.
At the time the phone had been on the floor and one of our cats was lying against it, fast asleep. She'd knocked the receiver off and had lain on the 9 button!
The police were very good about it. Along with all the lame jokes about cat burglars etc., they pointed out they'd rather be called to a false alarm than a nasty murder scene.

The phone is now out of cats reach ... until they find another way!

saturday night i recieved two phone calls off people....yet they CLAIM they never called me.

what the hell?

are they just trying to mess with my head?

I once picked up the phone in our house to dial out and before i had even pressed a key my dad's voice boomed out hello, that was quick. I nearly crapped meself. i must have picked up at the exact time that the connection was made, before it even had time to ring but as i wasn't expecting to hear a voice it really gave me a rush.....

My mobile turned itself off during the night. Now, it does that when the battery is low - but when I turned it back on this morning, the battery was still showing two bars. So why did it do it?

And if it's the sign I asked for, what does it mean? :confused:

Mines doing that too Sally ATM as if it's sulking about something.

It also freezes if I get WAP messages and I have to remove the battery to clear it.

It might be dirt or static on the pick ups, overuse or just getting a bit worn out but whatever it is it's getting on my wick a bit now.

My friend and I have had some very strange mobile occurances this week. On Saturday night, my phone rang but I missed the call. Anyway, upon ringing my voicemail I found there was no number and the message itself can only be described as a tortured animal squealing down the line. There was approx. 40 seconds of high pitch screaming that was pretty unnerving. Anyhow, i put it down to experience and forgot abuot it. On returning to work on the Monday, my friend also reported a phone call at roughly the same time (9:15pm ish) this time with the same high pitched animal squeal but also with a deep resonant "satanic" voice underlying. He couldn't make out what the voice was saying but was understandably freaked out. Does anyone have any explanation for what we both heard? He tells me today that last night he was receiving erroneous calls all night with white static coming through.

The whole thing reminds me of a story I read in Fortean Times (1996?) about a guy - I think he was a Phreaker - who used to get the "Wake up down there!" phone call followed by high speed garble and numbers.

The irony is, my friend and I work in Telecoms!

Any help would be much appreciated.

I can't help you with the "satanic" voices I'm afraid, but mobile phones do have an irritating habit of repeatedly going off several times over many hours after you've received a voice-mail message. I know because mine has a habit of doing it, it's very annoying when it happens in the middle of the night! As for the rest ... I'm baffled.

Well talking of "satanic voices", a few years back when I was a teenager, call it an urban legend but there was a rumour going round school that if you dialled a certain phone number (I seem to remember it involved a lot of 6s) you would actually connect up to the "devil's hotline". I tried it a couple of times and never got anywhere, but once I did get some very strange vocal sounds coming down the line at me. It's slightly off subject, but there was also a thing you did whereby you would tune your radio on your portable stereo into a cetain wavelength and speak into the built-in microphone (I can't remember the exact phrase) and you would here the devil talking back to you (no, it wasn't radio 4!) and all of this before I even read anything on EVP. Its amazing how these stories must get started as I doubt there is anything to them but I'm sure that I did hear something once or twice.

Going back to subject, I still have Saturday's voicemail saved on my phone and I gotta say, it get's creepier every time I listen to it! Has anyone else received bizarre noises via voicemail this week?

My boyfriend keeps getting missed calls from a London number, that when he rings it back, gets 'number not recognised...' Someones now got a large phone bill trying to ring a mobile in Spain.
I think the high pitched squeeling and the unknown numbers are all fax machines or modems trying to ring the wrong number.

It's an interesting theory, but as I say, I work in Telecoms and this definitely ain't no fax/modem noise. It's some sort of living creature - the only sound I can liken it to is a distressed guinea pig!:confused:

Colatron said:
It's an interesting theory, but as I say, I work in Telecoms and this definitely ain't no fax/modem noise. It's some sort of living creature - the only sound I can liken it to is a distressed guinea pig!:confused:

Maybe your number is just one digit away from the samaritans helpline for small, furry creatures.;) :D

Mobile phone strangeness

I was driving through Inverness heading to Fort William, a journey I occasionally make for work,when my mobile rang. I couldn't answer then and I didn't recognise the number,but when I got out of town I called back. When the owner of the phone answered I recognised the voice of the husband of a woman that I've been working with for years. The conversation went something like;
Hallooo,George here.
Oh hi George,this is Dave how's it going?
Fine Dave, what can I do for you?
Ha George, what can I do for YOU? You just rang,I'm returning a missed call.
?..No Dave sorry, I never called you.In fact I don't even have your number.
Thats odd, because I definitely don't have your either...
...etc...puzzlement all round.
The conversation went on to reveal that we were both on the same road from Inverness to Fort William a few miles apart. At the time this was a relatively unusual journey for either of us to make.

Back at my regular workplace the next day I confirmed with his wife that George's phone did not have my number saved.She'd checked it the previous evening when her husband had told her the tale. She also denied that she had ever used his phone to call me, after all she had her own phone and a work phone.
I know that I had never called George before and didn't know his number,we just communicated through his wife or when we bumped into each other.
So the explaination? Obviously George sat on his phone and randomly pressed eleven digits which dialled the number of his wife's colleague who happened to be a few miles behind him on a road that they both infrequently travelled,heading to the same destination. Simple when you think about it!

Whoa, weird.

Is it feasable that he dialled exactly your number by accident?????
I suppose it is possible, so therefore it must happen in at least one universe, why not ours?

I lived near Fort William for a while. I was lucky to get any mobile reception at all.

I once picked up the telephone in my house to ring my pal who lived down the road at the time.There was no dial tone then someone said 'hello' so i replied and realised it was the guy i was going to ring.
He said I had picked up the phone before he heard any ringing down his end and I certainly didn't hear any ringing my end.
There are loads of strange things happening down phones all the time as far as I can tell.I wonder if the telecommunication providers investigate any of this rhubarb?Like radio waves passing through folks bonces all the time maybe telephone jiggery pokery spills out of wires above and infiltrates our what nots...(sorry for the technical terms towards the end here).
Like the well known 'think of a person out of the blue while going about your business,then get a call from them' in the next hour or day,you know the drill.
Jellybone premptive recognition annomaly syndrome so it is

Was the phone in your pocket or glove compartment or anywhere else loose in the car, unlocked? Possible it moved around and either hit a speed-dial key assigned to that number, or it hit the menu key, phonebook then call - it's very common.

Well my friend walked past a phone box near our local shop and could hear it ringing. She didn't answer it and went into the local newsagents.... when she came out it was still ringing and she answered it by just saying "hello" and the voice at the end of the line said "Sue?" (which was her name!) and it turned out that Sue had called her friend the night before from the phone box... she didn't get a reply and her friend did 1471 (a UK thing) and redialled the number!!! How weird is it that she called just as Sue was walking past!!!

It's not like she spend all day doing the same walk!!!

milk said:
I once picked up the telephone in my house to ring my pal who lived down the road at the time.There was no dial tone then someone said 'hello' so i replied and realised it was the guy i was going to ring.
He said I had picked up the phone before he heard any ringing down his end and I certainly didn't hear any ringing my end.
There are loads of strange things happening down phones all the time as far as I can tell.I wonder if the telecommunication providers investigate any of this rhubarb?Like radio waves passing through folks bonces all the time maybe telephone jiggery pokery spills out of wires above and infiltrates our what nots...(sorry for the technical terms towards the end here).
Like the well known 'think of a person out of the blue while going about your business,then get a call from them' in the next hour or day,you know the drill.
Jellybone premptive recognition annomaly syndrome so it is

In a slightly more mundane way, I often receive a text message from my girlfriend in Manchester, just as I've sent one to her. She then sends a second message saying she had sent it before she gets my message. The fact that this happens regularly, but at completely random times during the day suggests some level of telepathy between us perhaps!

yeah lobelia i had a similar phone box thing happen to me.i was walking through manchester victoria station at rush hour and the public phone on the wall starts to ring.Being as I thought I would have a laugh and talk some rubbish with a dude who had obviously dialed the wrong number I picked it up.A voice said 'is Mick there?' I replied 'yes' as that is my name then the fellow launched into business talk about some plans for something or other until I stopped him and told him where i was and that I knew nothing of what he was talking about...slightly odd but not beyond the fringes of belief

Back