• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Modern Funeral Customs

I guess fans storming the coffin is a modern tradition.

Twelve people have been arrested after fans of an Ivorian musician stormed the cemetery where he was buried and allegedly opened his coffin.

DJ Arafat, 33, whose real name was Ange Didier Huon, died in a motorcycle accident last month. Video on social media appeared to show fans opening his coffin and undressing the late musician's body to check for tattoos in an effort to identify him. The chaotic scenes followed rumours and disbelief that he had really died.

On Friday, thousands of people attended a concert in the main city, Abidjan to pay tribute to the musician. He was then laid to rest in a private ceremony on Saturday. But images on social media showed fans battling police who were preventing them from entering the site. Police resorted to using tear gas to try and disperse those who had gathered outside where the ceremony was taking place.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-afri...news/world&link_location=live-reporting-story

Funeral home director Peter Stefan admits his body storage got away with him..

Funerals are often seen as the last 'gift' to the dead from the living, so it is entirely understandable that we dress our dear departed in favourite togs and equip them suitably. ...

My mother was bedridden much of the time during her final 1.5 years. Her final wardrobe consisted of sleepwear, and she delighted in receiving nice sleepwear sets. When she passed away Dad, my brother and I agreed she would have liked to be buried in her favorite (fancy) sleepwear ensemble, and she was so attired at the viewing / visitation. It added a more informal / familiar touch to the motif, and it admittedly carried a certain aura of "Big Sleep" (as opposed to grim death) which seemed to help soften the impact of losing her.

We were surprised to receive several quite complimentary comments about this choice.

When our father (a portly fellow and a widely-known expert poker player) died I trekked to a nearby city with a big and tall men's shop to purchase him a nice new set of pajamas, which I directed the funeral home to use for his final dressing. I also delivered one of his new sealed packs of preferred playing cards.* At his viewing / visitation he was in comfortable sleepy-time repose with the pack of cards in his hand.

Once again we received notably positive comments about the sleepwear usage.

This sleepwear motif became something of a new family tradition (or at least an option) which was repeated for our father's three sisters.

* My father had an uncanny knack for divining which playing cards were where - so much so that for years it was official practice in the local gambling underground that a fresh deck was opened whenever he joined a game to allay any suspicions generated by his talent. He kept several new decks in a big bowl in the kitchen - some of which he'd use to play solitaire and study the cards for hours, and some of which he'd carry with him to big games. When he died a number of his poker buddies enthusiastically volunteered to be his pallbearers. At the cemetery I called them together, advised / reminded them of the card protocols associated with Dad, and gave each of them one of his own fresh sealed decks as a memento. A couple of them actually teared up at the gesture ...

I was greatly impressed by Orson Scott Card's concept of a Speaker for the Dead - "... voyaging from colony to colony and performing a eulogistic ceremony in which he "speaks the truth" about the lives of the recently deceased." [*]

I've long wished such a designated representative or spokesperson for the deceased could become a reality and even a tradition.

An Australian private investigator has become the first "real world" example (I've found to date ... ) of such a role being performed. Examples of some of the truths he's been contracted to present at his clients' funerals are given in the full story (linked below).
'Coffin confessor' Bill Edgar paid to gatecrash Queensland funerals and speak up for the dead

Bill Edgar has, in his own words, "no respect for the living". Instead, his loyalty is to the newly departed clients who hire Mr Edgar — known as "the coffin confessor" — to carry out their wishes from beyond the grave. ...

Mr Edgar runs a business in which, for $10,000, he is engaged by people "knocking on death's door" to go to their funerals or gravesides and reveal the secrets they want their loved ones to know.

"They've got to have a voice and I lend my voice for them," Mr Edgar said.

Mr Edgar, a Gold Coast private investigator, said the idea for his graveside hustle came when he was working for a terminally ill man.

"We got on to the topic of dying and death and he said he'd like to do something," Mr Edgar said.

"I said, 'Well, I could always crash your funeral for you'," and a few weeks later the man called and took Mr Edgar up on his offer and a business was born. ...

In almost two years he has "crashed" 22 funerals and graveside events, spilling the tightly-held secrets of his clients who pay a flat fee of $10,000 for his service. ...

Mr Edgar said his arrogance was what made his job possible.

"I have been to a church service since where I actually had to ask the priest to sit down and be quiet because my client didn't want a religious service," he said.

"He was quite offended but at the same time he understood."

Mr Edgar protects himself legally by recording his client's confession and also provides them with a disclosure statement.

"Especially if I'm asked to go into a premises that the person used to own and get rid of some items that they don't want their kids to find," he said. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09...-reveals-secrets-of-dead-at-funerals/12619946

[*] http://sfreviews.net/card_speaker_for_the_dead.html

Just now, on way back from a bike ride I was waiting for some cycle lane traffic lights to change when I saw a bike funeral stop at the pedestrian crossing. There was a hearse full of flowers and then a motorbike with a hearse sidecar, all glass with the coffin on display, and lots of motorbikes following.

My first instinct was to grab my phone for a photo! but instead I stood back, hands held together, head bowed respectfully. The undertaker in the first car nodded to me.

I've known a lot of bikers and heard of that particular hearse but hadn't seen one before.
We live near the cemetery and sometimes see the horse-drawn hearses being prepared nearby. They are striking too.
I don't want a ride in one just yet though!

Last edited:
Just now, on way back from a bike ride I was waiting for some cycle lane traffic lights to change when I saw a bike funeral stop at the pedestrian crossing. There was a hearse full of flowers and then a motorbike with a hearse sidecar, all glass with the coffin on display, and lots of motorbikes following.

My first instinct was to grab my phone for a photo! but instead I stood back, hands held together, head bowed respectfully. The undertaker in the first car nodded to me.

I've known a lot of bikers and heard of that particular hearse but hadn't seen one before.
We live near the cemetery and sometimes see the horse-drawn hearses being prepared nearby. They are striking too.
I don't want a ride in one just yet though!

A bit different but the first ghost bike in the countryside I saw left a mark as I was long-distance training at the time. Just out of the blue. A young woman killed and it totally killed my mood, mind, and cycling-mojo. I can't find any pics of it but I'm sure it's still there.

CreamDonutCoffin-NZ.jpeg

Colorful coffins lighten mood at New Zealand funerals

When the pallbearers brought Phil McLean’s coffin into the chapel, there were gasps before a wave of laughter rippled through the hundreds of mourners.

The coffin was a giant cream donut.

“It overshadowed the sadness and the hard times in the last few weeks,” said his widow, Debra. “The final memory in everyone’s mind was of that donut, and Phil’s sense of humor.”

The donut was the latest creation by Phil’s cousin Ross Hall, who runs a business in Auckland, New Zealand, called Dying Art, which custom builds colorful coffins.

Other creations by Hall include a sailboat, a firetruck, a chocolate bar and Lego blocks. There have been glittering coffins covered in fake jewels, a casket inspired by the movie “The Matrix,” and plenty of coffins depicting people’s favorite beaches and holiday spots. ...

FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/world-news-new-zealand-fedb833ce8065f84c3326f0d22500b12

Depending on whose figures you believe, the most recent estimates for the average cost of complete funeral service (from embalming to burial) in the USA range from $7,000 to $10,000.

Cremation is considerably cheaper. Cremation service through a funeral home (with associated services like family viewing, etc.) averages more like $2,000 to $4,000.

An even more economical option is "direct cremation", where the deceased is taken directly to the crematorium from the morgue and there are no (or very few) associated services. Direction cremation is advertised to cost mere hundreds of dollars.

In the U.S. you can not afford to die

Funerals are just too expensive.
There is a big thing in the UK atm about no-frills cremations without a ceremony or added expence, they will just pick up your coffin take it and cremate it, then deliver your ashes to your loved ones, i personally would go for a viking burial at sea on a flaming longship, but failing that, bonfire in a forest will do.

I've always, as long as i can remember, thought that funeral directors and cremation technicians, are involved in some sort of scam involving selling expensive coffins, removing the deceased, returning the coffins back to the funeral directors, then reselling the coffins, i have no evidence for this, but i always ask myself, you pay for expensive brass handles and other decorative acoutriments for a coffin, but there is never any molton metal in any ashes, do the cremation techs remove the metal bits, if so what happens to them? If not what happens to them? There is definately some sort of scam going on somewhere.

I've always, as long as i can remember, thought that funeral directors and cremation technicians, are involved in some sort of scam involving selling expensive coffins, removing the deceased, returning the coffins back to the funeral directors, then reselling the coffins, i have no evidence for this, but i always ask myself, you pay for expensive brass handles and other decorative acoutriments for a coffin, but there is never any molton metal in any ashes, do the cremation techs remove the metal bits, if so what happens to them? If not what happens to them? There is definately some sort of scam going on somewhere.

The coffins / containers used in cremation aren't the same coffins used for burials. They're designed to be completely combustible and leave minimal residue. The most modest ones are essentially big cardboard or fiberboard boxes.

It's common for a conventional casket (or a special shell) to be used to cover the body if there's a viewing / funeral service prior to cremation. Since these are just decorative overlays they can be reused.

In the event there are metal remains left from the coffin they are sorted out from the ashes.

In some US states there's no requirement for an enclosing container / coffin at all.

The coffins / containers used in cremation aren't the same coffins used for burials. They're designed to be completely combustible and leave minimal residue. The most modest ones are essentially big cardboard or fiberboard boxes.

It's common for a conventional casket (or a special shell) to be used to cover the body if there's a viewing / funeral service prior to cremation. Since these are just decorative overlays they can be reused.

In the event there are metal remains left from the coffin they are sorted out from the ashes.

In some US states there's no requirement for an enclosing container / coffin at all.
So are you charged for a full on mahogany coffin with brass fittings, then switcheroo'd into a cardboard job and the decent one resold? And who gets the money from the scrappy for all the metal?

So are you charged for a full on mahogany coffin with brass fittings, then switcheroo'd into a cardboard job and the decent one resold? And who gets the money from the scrappy for all the metal?

No ... At least here in the USA the first step upon one's death is to designate who (funeral home) is to pick up the body and make arrangements. Once they receive the body you go to the funeral home and discuss what sorts of arrangements / services you want and who's responsible / accountable for payment. The paperwork is filled out and signed, then the funeral folks get to work taking care of the prescribed activities.

You're only charged for what you need to execute the funeral as prescribed. As I noted earlier, if cremation is chosen a cremation container / coffin (if required) will be one of the items selected. In principle, nobody would be charged for a burial coffin if only a cremation container is necessary.

I was a pall barer at my father-in-laws funeral, he had a mahogany coffin with the full works, he was Irish so had the casket at home over night, i was supprised how fecking heavy a body plus coffin was, im not a small guy and work in construction, but i was struggling by the time we got to the end of the church aisle.

I was a pall barer at my father-in-laws funeral, he had a mahogany coffin with the full works, he was Irish so had the casket at home over night, i was supprised how fecking heavy a body plus coffin was, im not a small guy and work in construction, but i was struggling by the time we got to the end of the church aisle.

I ended up being a pallbearer for my father. He was a big (OK - fat ... ) man, and caskets are quite heavy anyway. Walking across the uneven, slightly sloped and mushy ground at the cemetery was tricky, and at one point I slipped and nearly fell. Luckily the other pallbearers were able to keep things stable as I recovered from my stumble. Since then I've been an obvious pallbearer candidate for multiple funerals, but I won't do it anymore. I'm now old enough that I'm no longer asked to do anything more strenuous than being an honorary pallbearer following the casket as it's carried to the grave.

Well religions say we came from dust and dust you will return.

So cremation is becoming affordable and popular.
Definately the option im going for, stick me in a cardboard box and shove me in the furnace, or a viking longship as i mentioned earlier :p

I'd like a post hole digger, like they have to do piers on a buildings foundations. I'd like them to go 12 feet or so straight down, then drop my mortal remains in. Backfill, and then plant a walnut or pecan tree on top.

Yeah, that'll do me, with a 12" x12" stone slab with an inscription - and on the obverse of said slab, something of Ogden Nash - 'A word to Husbands' comes to mind.

I'd like a post hole digger, like they have to do piers on a buildings foundations. I'd like them to go 12 feet or so straight down, then drop my mortal remains in. Backfill, and then plant a walnut or pecan tree on top.

Yeah, that'll do me, with a 12" x12" stone slab with an inscription - and on the obverse of said slab, something of Ogden Nash - 'A word to Husbands' comes to mind.
What you'll be needing is one of these

images.jpeg

One of the building projects i was involved in was an office block being build on the Thames flood plain. The water table was only 2 meters below ground level, so the whole building and carpart was built on 280 25 metre deep reenforced concrete piles.

5d9afe2e628a8d9b9fee5737b1041c122005f4c0.jpg

I'm looking at the Girls, thinking, 'Now there's some reet bonnie Lasses' (as you do),And then I clock what's behind 'em - fuck that's some undercarriage Swifty...
Sorry, I should add that that's the same re-enactment women but that pic wasn't taken in Sheringham. That real crew from that era have got a few statues in memory of them at Alrewas abortorium in Staffordshire :cool:

A digger driver of many years' experience was borne to his rest by the vehicles of his trade.
The photo shows the transport used. It's quite spectacular.

Safe Cheshire New link -

Fitting tribute to retired Crewe digger driver of more than 50 years

In honour of John Noel Lakes' memory, his family used a tractor and trailer with JCB's on it to take his coffin to church

Mr Lakes would often come home in his JCB after work and parked it up where he lived so the children living nearby could play in the buckets.

His family said he was a 'very hard-working man' and only in poor health in his 70s made him ease up working and eventually retire.

In honour of his work and memory, Mr Lakes' family decided instead of a hearse, a tractor and trailer driven by his 18-year-old grandson Lewis Treweek would be used to take the great-granddad's coffin to the church.

Why don't you just piss off your local gang/mafia/triads, etc?

They'd do it without you worrying about the funeral cost.

A list of the current most popular funeral music, presented by Co-Op Funeralcare.

(Safe Co-Op website)
Funeral music chart

We’re fascinated by funeral music choices and have been compiling funeral music charts for the past 20 years.

The charts show the nation's most popular farewell songs, providing inspiration for anyone arranging a funeral now or thinking about what music they'd like at their own funeral.

Find out who is number one in our charts this year!

There's even a video -

Back