• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Momo Challenge

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
Maybe this should move to urban legends and folklore...

A new internet game scaring the kids. Seemingly a WhatsApp number that you call leading to a response from a distorted faced girl who encouragea you to kill yourself. Allegedly several kids around the world have done so and many more have been left unable to sleep due to their fear.

Admittedly a creepy entity, apparently originally from a Japanese cgi company.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.in...e-face-bird-hoax-real-truth-a8798571.html?amp

This link is from That's Nonsense website: https://www.thatsnonsense.com/is-the-momo-challenge-real-or-an-online-hoax-fact-check/

As soon as I saw the Momo model it reminded me of the figure from the 'Saw' movies and "want to play a game". It also taps into 'The Ring' film a little for me.

While I sincerely hope that it is all false, it is interesting to see how these things come about.
Sound a bit like the Blue Whale game. https://centerforinquiry.org/blog/t..._of_blue_whale_game_svengali_filipp_budeykin/

It also seems to tap into the same concept as the fake kids YouTube videos, where it looks like a kids video and then gets disturbing. We have a thread on them.

Note that the "Centre for Inquiry" CFI (which also looks to be an interesting and well-organised group

) should NOT be confused with the Charles Fort Institute CFI
2019-02-27 03.20.24.png

I thought this was going to be about who could eat the most momos. Sign me up for that one, this one I'll pass.

Note that the "Centre for Inquiry" CFI (which also looks to be an interesting and well-organised group

) should NOT be confused with the Charles Fort Institute CFI
Especially since it's the mother group of CSICOP and the Richard Dawkins Institute!

If only there were away to prevent young children accessing questionable content...

In an ideal world there would be some kind of, I don't know, some kind of biological guardian of some kind that could watch over kids and make sure that they are removed from harm's way.

If wishes were horses, eh?

l saw “MOMO” and, for no particular reason, thought, “Music Of Manx Origin”?

l see that its actual meaning is potentially an even more unpleasant concept.

maximus otter

If only there were away to prevent young children accessing questionable content...

In an ideal world there would be some kind of, I don't know, some kind of biological guardian of some kind that could watch over kids and make sure that they are removed from harm's way.

Easier said than done though, even more so nowadays.

Ideally people would have a relationship with their kids that they can approach a parent with anything, without fear of ridicule or punishment. Which is easier said than done. If you are brought up to respect people and taught to understand that actions have consequences and taught to understand how a victim feels, they would have no need to give in to peer pressure to get roped in to something irresponsible.

Have you ever tried this?
My kids have never known a world without the Internet. If the wifi goes out at home, we might as well be sitting in the dark.
You can't control media content available to kids in any meaningful way. But you can attempt to raise them to be critical thinkers and support them so, hopefully, they don't become emotionally lost and follow this nonsense to their demise.

Am I alone in thinking this is no more or less dangerous than that sick Hansel and Gretel cannibalism story was back when books were what it was all about back then that also scared little kids? .. so yeah, probably scary to little kids. Cool.

My big Sister was telling me graphic stories about the ghost of the little girl with the wooden leg and the person possessed by a dead guard dog when I was about five and I've loved her for it ever since.

I think it's about social engineering. Someone gets the kids on WhatsApp and pretends to be this ghost, and says 'I'll come into your bedroom at night and kill me if you don't tell me all the numbers on mummy's credit card, ps don't tell anyone or I will also kill you'. Kids are a bit stupid and easily scared, so it's an easy way to get confidential information.

Have you ever tried this?
My kids have never known a world without the Internet. If the wifi goes out at home, we might as well be sitting in the dark.
You can't control media content available to kids in any meaningful way. But you can attempt to raise them to be critical thinkers and support them so, hopefully, they don't become emotionally lost and follow this nonsense to their demise.

Yes, I'm doing it right now.

My child is still relatively young (though old enough to use phones and computers, but not social media) and we have pretty firm (not totally inflexible) rules about what and how much devices may be used. Our TV is set up in a spare room (delberately) and it goes weeks without being turned on unless my wife has heard about a drama from her friends.

It's difficult at times, but the trick is alternatives: my daughter is involved in many other activities and tends only to watch cartoons etc. in the evenings with me or her mother. I'm sure things will get more difficult in the future, but for now we have it under control. Fingers crossed.

I've been utterly inflexible about allowing friends, family, schools etc. to upload images and videos of her: I'm fairly confident that she 'doesn't exist' on the Internet.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm doing it right now.

My child is still relatively young (though old enough to use phones and computers, but not social media) and we have pretty firm (not totally inflexible) rules about what and how much devices may be used. Our TV is set up in a spare room (delberately) and it goes weeks without being turned on unless my wife has head about a drama from her friends.

It's difficult at times, but the trick is alternatives: she is involved in many other activities and tends only to watch cartoons etc. in the evenings with me or her mother. I'm sure things will get more difficult in the future, but for now we have it under control. Fingers crossed.

I've been utterly inflexible about allowing friends, family, schools etc. to upload images and videos of her: I'm fairly confident that she 'doesn't exist' on the Internet.

I think you're taking the correct approach, especially with photos. Most people don't realise FB "own" anything you upload, the ramifications of that horrify me. In the unlikely event I ever produce another human, there'll be no photos of them online, until they're old enough to decide that for themselves.

I think you're taking the correct approach, especially with photos. Most people don't realise FB "own" anything you upload, the ramifications of that horrify me. In the unlikely event I ever produce another human, there'll be no photos of them online, until they're old enough to decide that for themselves.

Some relatives think I'm a bit 'eccentric/awkward' for this insistence; I'd rather err on the side of over-caution.

By the way, I've just rejected a membership request for this board from a Momo located in China. I recall that we also had images of self-harm from an account named Blue Whale when that was the latest scare.

Some people...

By the way, I've just rejected a membership request for this board from a Momo located in China. I recall that we also had images of self-harm from an account named Blue Whale when that was the latest scare.

Some people...

Without these "eccentric" types we'd have a lot less discuss here, the rich, moth eaten tapestry of life and all that...

I must admit when I saw the thread title I thought this may be some variation on the self explanatory "No Fap" movement or the wonderfully titled NOBNOM challenge.

Fake news.

Following a flurry of newspaper scare stories, some schools have warned parents about the "momo challenge" - but fact-checkers say it is a hoax.

The character, shown with bulging eyes, supposedly appears on WhatsApp and sets children dangerous "challenges" such as harming themselves. But charities say there have been no reports of anybody receiving messages or harming themselves as a result. They warn that media coverage has amplified a false scare story.

"News coverage of the momo challenge is prompting schools or the police to warn about the supposed risks posed by the momo challenge, which has in turn produced more news stories warning about the challenge," said the Guardian media editor Jim Waterson.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology...twitter&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbcnews

Fake news.

Following a flurry of newspaper scare stories, some schools have warned parents about the "momo challenge" - but fact-checkers say it is a hoax.

The character, shown with bulging eyes, supposedly appears on WhatsApp and sets children dangerous "challenges" such as harming themselves. But charities say there have been no reports of anybody receiving messages or harming themselves as a result. They warn that media coverage has amplified a false scare story.

"News coverage of the momo challenge is prompting schools or the police to warn about the supposed risks posed by the momo challenge, which has in turn produced more news stories warning about the challenge," said the Guardian media editor Jim Waterson.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology...twitter&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbcnews
Tenuously, MOMO was one of my Dad's steering wheel manufacturing competitors back when my Dad was manufacturing superior steering wheels .. https://momo-uk.co.uk/

Doesn't anybody remember Momo, the little girl living in an amphitheater? :(

So apparently the gruesome face involved here is taken from a sculpture.

"Mother-Bird" by Keisuke Aisawa, which is a sculpture depicting a Ubume from Japanese folklore. In this case the face of a woman, but with a beak like mouth and body of a bird. Particularly bird legs.

It's texturing is kinda lifelike, but if you google search the whole sculpture you'll see a less believable oddity.

Back