• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Momo Challenge

amomo.jpg

and ..

amomo001.jpg

amomo002.jpg

amomo003.jpg

Last edited:
I've been utterly inflexible about allowing friends, family, schools etc. to upload images and videos of her: I'm fairly confident that she 'doesn't exist' on the Internet.

I applaud you. The FB groups I run have a No Member's Pictures Without Full Informed Consent rule. My blanket ruling is that only 18s can give that - it's not true but it does put a lot of stitches in time in.

Yup. And granted it's still a freaky ass thing to behold. But far less creepy in its full context.

Without that it does look a lot like a person in a creepy mask. Which I'm sure was the intent.
The Mrs tried to talk me into getting a ping pong ball from her workplace last night (there's a ping pong table at her workplace before I hear any smutty jokes) so I can use it to make MOMO eyeballs for her and take a picture .. then we got pissed instead.

The Mrs tried to talk me into getting a ping pong ball from her workplace last night (there's a ping pong table at her workplace before I hear any smutty jokes) so I can use it to make MOMO eyeballs for her and take a picture .. then we got pissed instead.

:rollingw:

She could do a Master Po impersonation.
Ahhh, glasshopper...

Earlier today I got a message from the school district to the entire list of parents that was poorly worded, promoting misinformation and encouraging additional panic, without any mention that this was a hoax. I have sent a reply. Good thing my kid is no longer embarrassed by my reactions to BS from the school administrators anymore. They often do similar dumb things and I make sure they hear about it. I hear it has made the rounds in other countries as well. It's as if these schools and parents just can't google for good info, only bogus stuff.

Earlier today I got a message from the school district to the entire list of parents that was poorly worded, promoting misinformation and encouraging additional panic, without any mention that this was a hoax. I have sent a reply. Good thing my kid is no longer embarrassed by my reactions to BS from the school administrators anymore. They often do similar dumb things and I make sure they hear about it. I hear it has made the rounds in other countries as well. It's as if these schools and parents just can't google for good info, only bogus stuff.
I take it this is MOMO related crap you've been compelled to nip in the bud? .. or has Ogred Weary instead just moved to you area? ..

It's as if these schools and parents just can't google for good info, only bogus stuff.
Some people develop an appetite for moral panics. This is the real "won't somebody think of the children" issue of the 21st Century. Yep, moral panicking parents are a blight on their childrens' lives.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_panic. We need to form a charity organization to fight outrage culture and moral panic.

Why we find the Momo image unsettling:

“In a 1970 paper in the journal Energy, roboticist Masahiro Mori proposed that a robot that's too human-like can veer into unsettling territory, tripping the same psychological alarms associated with a dead or unhealthy human. "This," writes Mori, "is the Uncanny Valley."

1-Moris-Uncanny-Valley-Mori-1970.png

Shuffling and convulsing at the very bottom of that valley are technology's most repulsive changelings, the humanoid robots with taut, rubber faces constantly evolving from Asian labs, and Hollywood's computer-generated stand-ins, their eyes darting and glassy and corpse-like.”

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/robots/a5001/4343054/

maximus otter

Agreed. You would think...

I mean I could understand if one or more parent came forward to the school and actually claimed that their child had received this message through WhatsApp. At that point the School might wish to take it seriously, and feel that they had to at least mention things to parents. But without that it's purely groundless panic.

Last edited:
Back