Money From Out Of The Blue

I carry one of those magnets on a little telescopic pole gadgets, looks like a pen, which is good for some.
I only recently found out that certain British coins are magnetic, I don't think it's always been the case. The new 5p, 1p and 2p definitely are but 20 and 50p aren't.

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
At work I often pick up loose change from the floor. Some of my colleagues swear they can collect £10 a month this way! I carry one of those magnets on a little telescopic pole gadgets, looks like a pen, which is good for some.
One of my sons worked in a hipster bar in central Manc for a while, when he was a student. And on one of his first nights, he found £30 on the floor. Apparently, it was a perk of the job - lots of drunk people with more money than sense - so £s on the floor was a by-product. He had nights when he found more money than he earned. I forgot that til I read your post!

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Just before Christmas I was given £50 in ten pound notes from a neighbour whose electric fence runs off my power system (£50 is hugely overpaying, but he's generous like that and knows I'm poor). It seemed bad form to unfold and count the money in front of him, so I stuck it in my pocket, thanked him, and then put it away 'somewhere safe'.

Fast forward to March and I was desperate for money, but could not find that bloody £50. i searched high and low and eventually concluded that I must have left it in the envelope which had got thrown away in a post Christmas clear out (this is most unlikely, nobody ever throws anything away in my household). No sign of it.

I asked aloud, but still no sign. I went upstairs to bed and there, beside my bed was my pink notebook that I use to make middle of the night notes. Sticking out of the top if it, very visibly, were the ten pound notes. I have no idea how they could have been there since Christmas without being spotted, I hadn't moved or touched the notebook at all in months...

Nic

Fresh Blood
I often find money (and other useful things) here and there. My wife is always impressed by my luck! I had an experience earlier today that I found to be truly serendipitous and worth sharing.

I live in New Orleans and was riding my bike in the park during my lunch break. As I rode (and sweated!) I had the sinking feeling that my rear tire was getting flat. I stopped and, sure enough, it was losing pressure and not road-worthy. Naturally, this occurred at the point on my route farthest from my office! As I got off the bike, I immediately noticed a shiny nickle. "Not bad," I thought. "That will put a nice dent in the cost of a replacement tube" ;)

As I waited for my wife to very graciously come rescue me (the park is very close to our house) I walked over to the drinking fountains for a bit of relief from the heat. Unfortunately, they were locked up since this part of the park is out-of-season right now.

As I walked back to the agreed-upon rescue zone I thought about reading this thread earlier today and appreciated my happy habit of finding money.

At THAT VERY INSTANT I looked down and saw a nice, crisp $5 bill!

Gloucestrian

Devoted Cultist
I've noticed some people seem to think they are above picking up coins. There was a two pence piece lying on the pavement near my office earlier this week, I was walking behind 3 people who had got off the same bus as me and they all ignored it. I stooped and picked it up shamelessly!

Nic

Fresh Blood
I stooped and picked it up shamelessly!
No shame in that, Gloucestrian! I pick up pennies etc. all the time. I believe in a responsive universe. By picking up wealth (even a small fractional amount) I believe I am showing respect for wealth and am thus more likely to come across it. I find small change most of the time, but I find bills fairly often, too! I think a pair of $20s was my best hit...

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I've noticed some people seem to think they are above picking up coins. There was a two pence piece lying on the pavement near my office earlier this week, I was walking behind 3 people who had got off the same bus as me and they all ignored it. I stooped and picked it up shamelessly!
Every coin is a tiny artwork .. :cool:

Gambeir

Devoted Cultist
There's something to this. I am one of the lucky ones. I seem to find money on a routine basis. So much so that I don't give it much thought any longer. It began when I was quite young and found some money in the water while I was visiting friends of my parents on an island. My biggest haul was an envelope with $700 USD in it. Most of the times though it's spare change. Just today I found a nickel and two pennies. A week ago I was pulling some weeds in the yard and found another nickel and a penny.

It's kind of crazy, and sometime's I dream about finding money, like I had this one where I was faced with difficult choice of getting a job, or just searching the outdoors because I could make as much finding money as I could working for it. LOL! If only...but it's a little weird. However it can cut both ways. Sometimes it can just grow legs and leave for while. Sometimes a long while, but it comes back most times. You just have to wait.

I think that there seriously is something with this topic. That money can just somehow teleport. Either you are doing it or for some reason it can be attracted to to you. It is a weird thing.

Last edited:

Iris

Justified & Ancient
I think I wrote some time ago about finding coins after my husband died.
Anyway I have been sorting out clothes I took out from the cupboard ( which had been washed and put away last Winter) but after I moved a couple of piles I had folded I found some coins again.
The last one was a 5cent coin and when I looked at it it was 2006 ,the year he died.

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin

Iris

Justified & Ancient
The mechanic who serviced my car yesterday rang to ask if he had left his torch in the back of the car.
I didn't find it but did find 5 cents with the 2006 year.

Honest people in a village in County Durham keep handing police large bundles of cash which are being mysteriously left in the streets.

Since 2014, 12 packages of £20 notes, totalling nearly £2,000, have been dumped at different locations in the former pit community of Blackhall Colliery.

https://news.sky.com/story/villager...ery-bundles-of-cash-found-in-streets-11864400

I thought it had been discussed on another thread that the police don't deal with lost property anymore unless it's something like a phone, laptop or wallet where there is a risk of identity theft?

I suppose there could be a drug-dealer aspect to this.

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Two “good Samaritans” have identified themselves to police as the mystery benefactors who left tens of thousands of pounds on the streets of a tiny pit village in the hope it would be picked up by people in need.

The village of Blackhall Colliery, in County Durham, became the focus of global intrigue when detectives revealed that bundles of cash totalling at least £26,000 had been left anonymously scattered through the village, often on pavements, since 2014.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...sh-wads-left-in-pit-village-since-2014-solved

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Mystery solved, good. But you know, even if they had tried to hand over thousands of pounds in the street, I wonder how many would have taken the wads no questions asked? You'd be suspicious of its origin, wouldn't you?

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
More likely picked up by people not in need